Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cutting Stag horn

Moderator Emeritus

Cutting Stag horn

Years ago, I cut and sanded some stag horn for two knife handles. Boy does that stink.

I am thinking of a project with Stag horn, and before I get to much thought into this, is there a way to mitigate the smell during cutting and sanding?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I've never cut that, but for the other foul smelling things I've had to do:

Being upwind of a big exhaust fan or wearing a charcoal filter cartridge type paint spraying mask usually works.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Main thing is top wear a good mask to keep from breathing the dust which goes into the lungs and doesn't come out. It gathers lung tissue around itself and is stuck thereby reducing lung area. The word is accumulative. And add what Winger Ed said.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some Vicks Vaporub on the mask helps disguise the smell.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

I take my tools outside when I have to work bone or horn. Bandsaw, belt sander, work table, etc...

When I had my guitar shop I had a big dust collector with 4" PVC piped to all the tools, exhausted to the outside, and that worked really well, making bone nuts stinks worse than the dentist's office I am here to tell you!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    If you don't use powder tools it will stink less. The power tools heat the antler and bone up and increases the stink. I use a respirator much of the time now when cutting even wood. Walnut dust really bothers me if I don't use my respirator.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Years ago, I cut and sanded some stag horn for two knife handles. Boy does that stink.

I am thinking of a project with Stag horn, and before I get to much thought into this, is there a way to mitigate the smell during cutting and sanding?
    Horn is formed from hair, antler is bone. Hair stinks when you burn it.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Moderator Emeritus

I should say Deer antler...because that is what it is...but Stag Horn sounds much more exotic, LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hondo1892 View Post
    If you don't use powder tools it will stink less. The power tools heat the antler and bone up and increases the stink. I use a respirator much of the time now when cutting even wood. Walnut dust really bothers me if I don't use my respirator.
    This is great info, which is simple enough, that I should have thought of it myself...but I didn't and surely would have used power tools. Glad I am waiting, now to think of where my best hand tools are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    I use an old hand-held meat saw (like a hacksaw but with bigger and coarser teeth) to cut bone and antler.. It cuts right through it, and there's much less airborne dust.
    Rick W

Moderator Emeritus

Somewhere in my house, is my Dad's Meat saw, which I inherited...I've had it for over 30 years and never used it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Use hand tools only? Jeweler's saw or a coping saw, instead of a jigsaw, for example. Hand cranked drill, instead of a power drill? Files instead of a grinder, and wet sanding by hand, as well? Those should reduce the smoke quite a bit.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Some Vicks Vaporub on the mask helps disguise the smell.

Robert
    a drop of oil of wintergreen should work well, too. I used it when doing autopsy photos, on the recommendation of the Clark County Medical Examiner when I was there in the late 70's and early 80's. Put in the mask, not your skin.

Bill