RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best powder for a .32?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    2F fouls too much for a small bore id think. I often read of people complaining using 3F about fouling too quickly. Likely using a more dirty powder to begin with though.

4F can and is used as a safe powder charge when things are kept in perspective. A 10% reduction of 3F is the general rule of thumb for a comparable charge of 2F. I’d think it prudent to stick with that logic.

I’d use Triple 7 before I used Pyrodex.
    To expand upon this I’d also recommend a cleaner powder. Olde Eynsford by Goex is what I use and I read it fouls so much less than standard Goex and similar powders. Swiss is another, and Triple 7 if you’re looking for something available at most stores or want a synthetic.

However the lube you use can make all the difference as well.

I would suggest you fellows get on the stick and get some real black powdered mail ordered to your door ASAP. The current administration is sure to put a stop to mail order black powder sooner rather than later.

Boolit Master

if you run ff or pyrodex rs, use a portion of the total charge as a primer charge of fff or p. heck.. even a little small charge of ffff ahead of that ff or rs.

Boolit Master
    There use to be a B-powder starting point formula based on projectile weight?
    Been a long time since I've tried to remember just what it was? Maybe some other member can tell you?
    Those that I know who tote a 32 have those little crocket rifles.
    The problem with B/p substitutes? Depending on who's you buy. They can be troublesome to ignite. BTW: Its easy to make and grade B/P. Check out the column on Black making here. A good read.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img005.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	280125
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    What I remember is to start with the grains of powder the same as the calibre.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Banned

The testing I've done with black powder brands and granulations easily swayed me to Swiss. I use 3f down the tube and in the pan for all flinters from .32 to .62 exclusively.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 3F in both of mine.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    What I remember is to start with the grains of powder the same as the calibre.
    swamp
    I’ve often read this as well, but always in conjunction with a medium game or larger caliber. My Lyman’s BP book shows hefty loads in .32 as well, but the hunters generally seem to use 10-20 grns of 3F. Small game generally means short distances and those tiny critters sure don’t take much to whack.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    I’ve often read this as well, but always in conjunction with a medium game or larger caliber. My Lyman’s BP book shows hefty loads in .32 as well, but the hunters generally seem to use 10-20 grns of 3F. Small game generally means short distances and those tiny critters sure don’t take much to whack.
    My thoughts as well. The various small game rim and center fire cartridges typically held around ten grains of powder, which should be enough for 25-50 yard shooting. I see no need for 1700 fps loads for that short of a range, since I only plan to use this for squirrels and maybe cottontails.

It's not like I'm Daniel Boone trying to kill a deer with it.

Boolit Buddy
    15 grains of 3f goex and a .310 round ball patched with pillow ticking from hobby lobby kills squirrels cuttin hickory nuts with authority from my crockett rifle...................Curdog

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Now if I could only find one of the Lee RB molds in stock.

Oh well, by the time I run out of the balls I do have, I might be able to find a mold. At $10-11 per hundred it won't take long for a Lee DC to pay for itself.

Robert
    There’s a combo tong type mold on Gunbroker right now that’s still reasonable.

Boolit Grand Master

Start at equal to caliber grains but in pistols and small caliber rifles 1/2 that.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    So says my Thompson Center suggested loads manual.
    .315 dia. _47gr. weight__30_ _ 50 grs FFFg measured Black. 1714 to 2055 fps. at >muzzle end__are the balls velocity's.

I would follow fiberoptik suggestion. Start at 30 gr. or even 25 grs. first thing and move up in charge until best accuracy appears in a non-fouled clean barrel.
    Last edited by OverMax; 04-01-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Does it have a reduced diameter section back at the breech? If so figger out how much it takes to fill it up and go from there.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    So says my Thompson Center suggested loads manual.
    .315 dia. _47gr. weight__40_ _ 60 grs FFFg measured Black. 1714 to 2055 fps. at >muzzle end__are the balls velocity's.
    There’s absolutely NO reason to use 40 grains, let alone 60! Unless you are trying for deer instead of squirrel ! Even 30 is too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Does it have a reduced diameter section back at the breech? If so figger out how much it takes to fill it up and go from there.
    Yes it does. Clean that with a .22 brush

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    There’s absolutely NO reason to use 40 grains, let alone 60! Unless you are trying for deer instead of squirrel ! Even 30 is too much!

Absolutely. 20 grns is a stout charge in a .32 when talking small game. Seems I typically see 10-20 grns being most common. Accuracy is everything though. If <20 grns just doesn’t group well enough at 25 yds I’d find what did. Heads are small.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn’t take a chance at rusting out my gun with Pyrodex. Even though it’s not “ideal” 2F will light off and shoot just fine out of your .32. I know, I’ve done it. That little Crockett rifle is a real sweet accurate little gun. 15-20 grains is plenty accurate for squirrel at 25-35 yards.

Boolit Master
    I found a 32 TC with two barrels ( both GMs) and two locks, flint and cap. I use 20grs of 3F which is plenty. I use 2f ground to fine powder for the pan. It groups 1 1/2" @ 50yds with plenty of pop for small game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast