Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best powder for a .32?

Boolit Master
    The T/C Cherokee barrels were cut with a faster twist rate than others to shoot a round ball at a lower velocity/smaller powder charge so as to hunt small game without tearing up meat. At least that's the way I heard it in an article by Toby Bridges. Other 1-48" twisted .32's may require a little stiffer charge to get same accuracy. At least in the theoretical world. Maybe some short little pistol boolits sized land to land diameter on the base just to get it started straight would be fun to play with in that fast twist Cherokee? Too many rifles, too little time. Work is always interfering in my life!

I've never used anything other than 3F in my .32 and get phenomenal accuracy. The little guys usually, but not always, do better on a 3F diet.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    I don't need nearly that much. . .
    I found your problem. You gotta fix this. You're welcome buddy.

Boolit Mold
    I recently purchased a Pedersoli .32 caliber squirrel rifle. I found that it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards using 35 grains by weight of Wano PPP blackpowder, with 1/4 cotton ball over the powder, a .315 diameter round ball by Hornady, seated in a 12 thousands thick bed linen lubed patch strip that is cut off at the muzzle, using Castrol White Oxide Grease for patch lube. I patch out between shots using a 1 3/4 inch square patch that's been soaked in Listerine Mint Flavored Mouthwash and rung out almost dry, followed by a dry patch. I only use 3 fingers on the ramrod to push the patched ball down onto the powder - I don't compress the powder. The rifle is fitted with a Period style Winchester 'B' Scope in 5 power made by Montana Vintage Arms. I shoot off a bench with cross sticks. Love that rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis the menance View Post
    I recently purchased a Pedersoli .32 caliber squirrel rifle. I found that it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards using 35 grains by weight of Wano PPP blackpowder, with 1/4 cotton ball over the powder, a .315 diameter round ball by Hornady, seated in a 12 thousands thick bed linen lubed patch strip that is cut off at the muzzle, using Castrol White Oxide Grease for patch lube. I patch out between shots using a 1 3/4 inch square patch that's been soaked in Listerine Mint Flavored Mouthwash and rung out almost dry, followed by a dry patch. I only use 3 fingers on the ramrod to push the patched ball down onto the powder - I don't compress the powder. The rifle is fitted with a Period style Winchester 'B' Scope in 5 power made by Montana Vintage Arms. I shoot off a bench with cross sticks. Love that rifle.
    I appreciate your first post and welcome. I had never heard of "P" grades of powder and had to look them up: useful knowledge.

The Crockett is a fantastic small game rifle that has given me sub 1" groups at 50 yards using the fixed iron sights. And, Dennis, Your rifle hs that same super accuracy - you are a very fine shot, too. I found 20 to 30 grains of 3F give about the same accuracy. These little rifles are delightful and anxious to please.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    You can run those oversized balls thru a .310 sizer. I have done this with .44 round balls to shoot out of my .444 Marlin. It makes a kind of elongated ball but these things were real accurate over a light charge of Unique. So, if things get tough, go that route! I’m not sure if buckshot is pure lead but I’ll bet it’ll work. As for powder granulation I’ve used 2f in my .32 when I brought the wrong powder to the range. It worked fine at the short ranges I was shooting at.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123