Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCP beginner info

No one uses a Scuba tank to fill a PCP gun......NO ONE.
    I do, and I get a LOT of fills, when I am filling to 2000 psi.... Don't discount what you can do with that pressure, my Grouse gun has killed hundreds over the past decade.... Having said that, if you are filling a 3000 psi PCP, you want more than that for your air source.... I have two 88 CF SCBA tanks, and a ShoeBox compressor to fill them, and several PCPs that fill to 3600-3800 psi.... It all depends on your want, needs, and budget....

Bob

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    anyone casting for their pcp air rifle?
    It's not my thing, but there are folks casting pellets and boolits for their PCPs. I would say it is still an area of considerable experimentation because a lot of the factory barrels have slower twist rates (and barrel chokes?) that lend well to pellet accuracy, but not as much to boolit accuracy.

And then there is the whole discussion about what you want your airgun to do for you. Personally, I appreciate the shorter range of the diabolo pellet because it has helped me get permission to squirrel hunt some places too small for a rimfire. Some guys are after accuracy at distances formerly considered a bit long for the diabolo and have loved this new aspect of the sport.

Boolit Bub
    Dapaki- how is your Amazon special compressor holding up? I hadn’t seen them on there before, but that might be the way to go. With the compressor and a rifle I could be started for $1000. You say you are using a scuba tank, can you not hook the compressor straight to the gun and fill it?

I really like the looks of the day state huntsman, but can’t really justify the extra cost when the specs are so similar to the marauder. Being lighter would be nice though. What are the common thoughts on other brands I’ve seen, like Hatsan, or Air Force?

One other question on casting. Will the larger caliber air rifles shoot a regular cast bullet, or do they take something special? For example, would a 458 air rifle fit a 405 grain bullet that I already cast or not?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    Dapaki-
    One other question on casting. Will the larger caliber air rifles shoot a regular cast bullet, or do they take something special? For example, would a 458 air rifle fit a 405 grain bullet that I already cast or not?
    The general answer is yes, with some explanation. First, you have to check the specs on the air rifle you are considering. Some of the .45s use a .452 pistol bullet, others use a .457. Second, airgun bullets are typically softer than a firearm bullet due to the lower pressure. Third, like any gun, you would do well to experiment with some different bullet types to see what shoots best in your gun. rsterne in reply #21 has contributed a considerable wealth on bullets in the airgun community, he would be a good one to ask questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12