MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Kimber 84L?

Banned

Kimber 84L?

Local shop has one in nice shape and chambered in God's cartridge, the '06.

I have been contemplating unloading a few things I don't shoot much and I have wanted a good, stainless .30-06, figured it would be one of the FN made Model 70s as I favor that action, but this Kimber looks good and meets all the requirements. I love the .30-06 and have a lot of .30 caliber molds, brass, etc.

Good rifles? I presume they are knowing Kimber's reputation. This one has a Nikon Prostaff 3-12X variable on it and the asking price is a grand, but I have a pretty good relationship with the shop owner. Sure is light for an '06, but I tend to load things down anyway.

Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Nikon no longer services their scopes (it's in castboolits forums), so use that to lower the asking price.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Nikon no longer services their scopes (it's in castboolits forums), so use that to lower the asking price.
    Not real worried about that, I know they're decent quality and I've never been the type to get worked up about a warranty on something like a rifle scope.

I couldn't get over how light the rifle seemed. Seemed even lighter than the Ruger American Predator I have which seems awfully light to me.

Banned

well rich the early guns didnt have a great rep for accuracy. I have a montana in 308 and it has one load that shoots 1.5 inch at a 100 yards and anything else is 2 inch or bigger. I heard many similar storys about kimbers. I guess i could have boxed mine up and sent it in but i use it mostly for deer hunting at camp and shots there are rarely over a 100 yards. but its kind of disapointing for a high dollar gun

Boolit Master

How much are they asking? there is a used one for sale near me that has been calling my name.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    well rich the early guns didnt have a great rep for accuracy. I have a montana in 308 and it has one load that shoots 1.5 inch at a 100 yards and anything else is 2 inch or bigger. I heard many similar storys about kimbers. I guess i could have boxed mine up and sent it in but i use it mostly for deer hunting at camp and shots there are rarely over a 100 yards. but its kind of disapointing for a high dollar gun
    That's kind of disheartening, I would have guessed they were top notch. This one is basically priced at a thousand bucks in great shape with a pretty decent scope, but still a fair amount of money, I would expect it to shoot well.

A good friend has one in .308 and he says it won't hang with his other high dollar rifles accuracy wise - but he finds it very easy to carry and kill deer with. I've handled it and it is very nice.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A good friend has one in .308 and he says it won't hang with his other high dollar rifles accuracy wise - but he finds it very easy to carry and kill deer with. I've handled it and it is very nice.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    thats the beauty in the montana. Its less then 6lbs with a 2x7 leupold and even then you get a 22 in barrel not a 16 or 18. My dad has been using it deer season for a few years. Hes 89 and hauling around a heavy rifle is tough on him. His longest shot at his blind is probably 75 yards so even if its shot 3 inch groups he could head shoot deer. One of these days im going to get it back to the bench for more load work up. I did test many 150 and 165s and most were minute of barn door. It does shoot the speer 130 hp into an inch and a quarter (5 shots fired VERY slowly) Ive killed probably a dozen deer with that bullet and my dad killed 4 and it does the job but you dont want to shoot them in the meat at 50 yards. Nephews all drawl over it. I had the kevlar stock camo dipped in real tree bonz and it does look pretty sharp. But its one i never got emotional over. Like they allways say the only interesting rifle is an accurate one.

Banned

I’ve seen 2 Kimber rifles blown up recently! Personally I’d stay far away from them!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I’ve seen 2 Kimber rifles blown up recently! Personally I’d stay far away from them!
    now that ive never heard of even once.

my 3006 shoots 165 gr bullets just fine, up to four shots then it opens up to about 1.75" groups.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0201.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	279885 target was shot at 100 yards when sighting the rifle in. two shoots at a time and adjusting between shots.

Boolit Buddy
    My son has a Kimber Classic select 30-06 with exceptional wood that shoots very well with 150 and 165 Interlocks. Not quite up to the Classic Select 257 Roberts he bought several years ago, but well below 1MOA

Banned

The light weight and easy handling is what appeals to me. I make no pretensions that I hunt at long range, mine are nearly always well under 100 yards, it's just theway I hunt and the way I'd hunt regardless of what I used.

I like the model 70 style safety too.

Banned

for what you want there slick as snot. I too love the model 70 style safety and it makes peoples eyes bug when they pick it up. It is that light. Accuracy isnt what id expect from a 1500 dollar gun but mine does shoot that one load into 1.5 inch and ive shot deer out to a bit further then 300 yards doing crop damage shooting. Major problem for me anyway, is for shooting out that far that gun is so light its hard to keep it steady unless your sitting on a bench. I prefer more weight for long range shooting. But for a gun your shooting under 300 yards and carry for a week and shoot once at a trophy buck its hard to beat. then add its a kevlar stock and and stainless and its a 1500 dollar gun you can take out in the rain or a snow storm without cringing or having to go back to camp and pulling it apart to make sure it gets oiled. matter of fact thats its main use for me today. I take a new gun every year to camp but always take the kimber for the bad days.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

My montana like Lloyd's is in .308
    Much as I love the 06, and trust me I was torn, I went with the .308 to keep the light rifle light.
    Really light rifles can be a challenge on the bags, but mine is an honest to God tackdriver with chosen loads. It was one of my better choices.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

the reason I needed a synthetic and stainless rifle

165 grain trophy bonded bear claws
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 03-22-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    I 1st held a Kimber 84L a couple years ago in a, the select model. I have Rugers, Winchesters, Remingtons and Mausers. I had to have this kimber, or one like it. At $1299.00 I would have taken it, but not in the 270 it was chambered in. I checked their site and really didn't want any of their chamberings. Last year I found a used '06 for the sum of $865, it was sold, to me!
    My only purpose was to get it re-barreled in a cartridge I liked, alot, the 280 Remington. Thinking on it, I decided not to replace my first year production Remington Mountain Rifle. To many good hunts, firsts, and memories to keep that one in the safe. So opted for the 280 AI. I did not fire it as an '06 so I cant give you any info on that, It was sent away 3 weeks ago to McGowan to have a duplicate contoured barrel but one inch added to make it 25".
    I guess a grand is not out of the ballpark here, Maybe I got a deal, or, it didn't shoot as been commented on, IDK, cause it was bought to be re-barreled from the start. "God's Cartridge"? to each his own, but the 280 Remington has been my '06 since '96.
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Banned

.280 Remington, LOL.

Thanks for your input.

Cast Hunter

My son has one in 7mm-08. I did the load development and it shoots great with Barnes TTSX and LRX bullets. He shot a caribou in Alaska last year at 400 yards. Dumped with one shot behind the shoulder with a 145 gn LRX. He loves that rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

I've got a 7/08 Kimber 84M and I really like it. Mine didn't shoot as well as I thought it should when I first bought it so I sent it back to the mother ship and they put another .100" in the throat and recrowned the barrel. Presto, now it shoots great with TSX Barnes, Nosler accubonds and partitions in 140 gr and 150 grs. As a bonus, mine shoots all of them into the same group at 100yds. I had a Kimber varmint in 22-250 that shot great too. I set up a 84 Montana for a friend and it had to go back too but they got it right. My hunting partner has a wood stock 84 M in 308 that is a super shooter. It's a crapshoot either way. I love to carry mine, the safety and stock are top notch.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!