Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Time BPCR Match

Banned

Our local match rules dictate 30 rounds each prone and sitting, but all sitting or kneeling or even standing is fine. In doing so, this is a handicap of sorts as prone is considered the better shooting position. Lots depends on who's running the match and that will dictate the fun or serious factor. We lean greatly to the fun part.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearcricket View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the guy that shoots setting in a chair came and watched one year and brought up the question. Since I am not in the management of running the match I don't know what all was said or what all was looked at, all I know is he comes and shoots with us and he sits. Maybe they bend the rules a little, maybe they just look the other way, either way I just don't care. The man comes, he shoots, he competes, he has fun, to me thats all a good thing. To me its more important to give someone the chance at some pleasure than it is to stick exactly to the rules.
    If there is any down side to this sport its the fact that so few young people are coming out and enjoying it. We do have a couple of young shooters but not many. It is nice to hear the dads bitch and complain about their offspring whipping them at the game they have been enjoying for a while. Any and everyone of you are always welcome to pack up, head east and enjoy our matches. And if you do please stop by my perch and introduce your self. I am not hard to find.
    Sam
    Speaking of younger shooters, how old do you have to be to shoot at Ridgway, matches or otherwise? I have 2 teenage sons that would love to try out some longer range shooting.

Boolit Man
    Teenage? If they are big enough to handle rifles safely bring them. How far do they want to shoot? Ridgway has steel targets all the way out to 1000 yards. Homer II is hanging out there about 950 yards give or take. If you don't know Homer, he is a half size buffalo, painted white. He is a nice challenge with a Black Powder rifle.
    Kind of sounds like you really do need to come and spend Saturday before the match at the range having fun and getting zeros. Your boys will have a great time doing some shooting and it would be my guess that they will really make some great memories when they dump a ram or 2 and maybe even hit old Homer. A quick hint to get to Homer, just double your ram sight setting and you will be pretty close.
    I don't know what your shooting but I can tell you that even a 38-55 will reach that far, its a bit hard to spot the dust puff's but it will reach. I have shot at him a few times and did manage to hit him once many years ago. I may give him another try some time.
    One word of caution, you let your boys try this and they might stand a good chance of wanting to come and shoot a match some time. You might end up being pretty busy casting and loading for them.
    Sam

Sam,

That sounds like a good place to come to and shoot a match or just saying Howdy.
    Leaving Alma Mich.
    I'm through most of the concrete jungles going through Chicago and Gary In.

Boolit Man
    Always welcome to come and shoot of just visit. Maybe learn a trick or so from Brian Chilson as he is a regular there and a very nice guy as well. I just finished going over the Ridgway match calendar and filling in my date book. I didn't realize that on Saturday before the Black Powder match, there is a .22 match. Anyone coming for one if you have the tools, come for both. I do know the BP matches start off at 9:00, I think but am not positive that the .22 matches start at 1:00 in the afternoon, but an not positive. Something else I don't know is if the Shiloutte range will be shut down when they get ready to start the .22 shoot but I think it will be due to the lay out of the ranges. It would be best to email the match directors and ask. IF I find out anything I can make sure I post it on here.
    If anyone is coming that has not shot in competition before or would like a run down of the commands let me know at the match and I will go over the commands so that everyone gets the same information and we are all on the same page of music.
    Also just as a bit of a heads up, eye and ear protection is required of everyone on the firing line. Better safe than blind or deaf.
    Sam

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Leadpot, I thought sure you would be shooting Friendship this weekend.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Are you there?

Don, I plumb forgot about it to tell you the truth. I was cutting some metal and the blade on the grinder fragmented and just about took my finger off. Had to get the hole sewed shut.

I really don't have enough bullets cast or the new lot of powder checked out.

Just haven't got the interest build up being shut down for so long. Lodi will most likely be my first match this year, and I better get things put together for it.

Alliance is on the calendar for May after the Lodi. I haven't shot there since 09 I think.
    I just got a new DZ scope and I need to drill a couple holes for the blocks at 7.2" and put the MVA 10X A scope on the sell&swap or put it on the table at the Q.
    So it will take a couple Ange sessions to get used to the DZ and get the reverse windage in my head from the MVA sights.
    It's been a rough road changing from the tang to the scope sights.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearcricket View Post
    Teenage? If they are big enough to handle rifles safely bring them. How far do they want to shoot? Ridgway has steel targets all the way out to 1000 yards. Homer II is hanging out there about 950 yards give or take. If you don't know Homer, he is a half size buffalo, painted white. He is a nice challenge with a Black Powder rifle.
    Kind of sounds like you really do need to come and spend Saturday before the match at the range having fun and getting zeros. Your boys will have a great time doing some shooting and it would be my guess that they will really make some great memories when they dump a ram or 2 and maybe even hit old Homer. A quick hint to get to Homer, just double your ram sight setting and you will be pretty close.
    I don't know what your shooting but I can tell you that even a 38-55 will reach that far, its a bit hard to spot the dust puff's but it will reach. I have shot at him a few times and did manage to hit him once many years ago. I may give him another try some time.
    One word of caution, you let your boys try this and they might stand a good chance of wanting to come and shoot a match some time. You might end up being pretty busy casting and loading for them.
    Sam
    Yeah they're 15 and 13, they've been shooting for a while now. Was just out with the 13 year old today shooting the CPA 40-65 I plan on bringing to the match. Not sure if they'll make this one, I plan on staying and shooting some on Monday after the match and they got school.

They've shot out to about 200 yards so far with a Sharps 50-90, that's the furthest and only 2 times so far.

I should be able to make Saturday. I got off work Friday night so I'll hit the road early Saturday morning, looks like a 5 hr ride for me. Got a room booked at the Royal Inn, so it looks like everything is all set.

And as far as reloading, 1/2 the ammo we shoot, they reload themselves! They've been helping reload for at least 4 or 5 years now. Don't have them casting yet but hopefully soon.
    Last edited by hawkenhunter50; 03-21-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Are you there?

Don, I plumb forgot about it to tell you the truth. I was cutting some metal and the blade on the grinder fragmented and just about took my finger off. Had to get the hole sewed shut.

I really don't have enough bullets cast or the new lot of powder checked out.

Just haven't got the interest build up being shut down for so long. Lodi will most likely be my first match this year, and I better get things put together for it.
    No someday I would like to get there and over to Ashland KY too. Looks like this year the first match will be Alliance 22 pit match in April maybe, but the big bore match for sure. Wanted to go to Lodi this year but it just don't look to be in the works, especially since they had to allocate the range days this year and won't be having the Cup match.
    I have the scope on the new 44-77, but still haven't fired it. The silhouette swingers on my range are still buried in snow, and it's going to have to dry out some to get to the range anyway.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I want to also want to make those matches this year or down the line. v z
    I'm going to cut my time in Montana down this year with the Baker, q and maybe the MT 1000. I wish the Mt 1000 was a little closer to the Q time wise but I like the time up in the Bighorns doing some fishing and looking for the yellow iron. But I can do this on this side of the big muddy also.

Boolit Man
    Hawlken, yep they be big enough to shoot and compete. You got a good zero at 200, any of the shooters will be able to give you close come ups for the rest of the ranges. They may not be exact but they will get you close for sure. I understand about the boys and school, once school is out bring them along they will have a good time I am sure. Worse comes to worse we can always put them to work setting targets, make themselves a bit of money. Maybe even meet a nice girl. Yes we do have girls that come out to set targets, and they do a damn good job.
    I think you had asked about the boards used to mark yous shots so you can see where you are hitting. If you don't have a set of those by the time the match gets here the spotter your squaded with will have and you can look around and see what others are using and maybe see things you want to pick up between matches.
    Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Hawkenhunter, your boys are certainly big enough to start shooting BPCR silhouette. My son started when he was 13 with a 38/55 and the next year I moved him up to a 40/50 Sharps Straight. He used to help me load ammo also. We shot at Ridgway at least once a year and he still holds three national records shot at Ridgway in 2009. He is not shooting any competitions at present. Bring them on. We need all the young shooters we can get out to shoot these days. Some may stick with it. There are lots of helpful shooters at Ridgway and you will be made to feel welcome and any and all of your questions and anxiety will be met.

Boolit Buddy
    Well it's almost that time. Who else on here will be at Ridgway next weekend?

Boolit Man
    Bring some warm clothing, from the looks of things its to be in the high 50's or so and might have a chance of some rain. Bring rain clothes as well. Plan on packing a lunch and something to drink as well. If your staying in one of the hotels on top of the hill before you come down into town, if you take a right at the first light and go down about 2 blocks there is a Sheetz store, you can get a sandwich and some drinks there and maybe a sweet and coffee on your way to the range.
    Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Well here's the update. Was able to make the match. Met a lot of real nice and helpful people. Had many people loan me gear I didn't have, and had 1 guy even give me a set of spotter boards and loan me a set of prone sticks., thanks again if you're on here. Also extra thanks to Deadeye Bly who tried to help me out the most. He spent time with me on sight settings on Saturday and got me hits on everything except the chicken but was close. Also kept checking in during the match to see how things were going. NuclearCricket your advice and tips were also very helpful and thanks again for making me a set of spotter cards.

Now to the match. It was great fun but I didn't shoot real great, finished the day with 6 pigs and 2 turkeys. Had a bunch of real close misses. Weather was cold and the wind got going pretty good by the start of the 3rd relay. Found out organization of all the gear is critical. Having never shot a match my gear was all willy nilly. Definitely have to come up with a plan for better organization for next time.

I think they said there were 27 shooters with the high score of 29 for open sights and 27 for scope class. We all enjoyed it. My boys came along, my brother and my buddy also were there. Had my brother spot for me and the boys helped out with calling out time left and grabbing my patches and other gear that blew across the parking lot from the wind.

Super impressive range and facilities. Was able to stay Monday and check out rest of the range and facilities. Was able to get both my boys to hit Homer on Monday. And they were also hitting rams pigs and turkeys. They were asked to join future matches and on the ride home both said they would like to try shooting the next one.

Once again thanks for all the suggestions from you guys here, and to everyone who helped me out on Sat and Sun. Much appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and learned a lot. I was glad to help you with sight settings. If you don't have them you are at a big disadvantage and you can waste a lot of ammo getting sighted in. We did it with a minimum of ammo. I hope you will be back and get your buddy and sons shooting. Hope to see you at Nationals there in July. You should start reading the Shiloh Sharps forum. Lots of good info on there.
    Last edited by Deadeye Bly; 04-28-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Boolit Man
    glad to hear you had a great time and looking forward to seeing you all come back. Kind of neat to hit ole Homer, and I would have loved to see the looks on everyones faces when you saw the splat and heard the clang.
    I have been the RO at Ridgway for a number of years now, its a very nice range but it has a few surprises. I have seen just lovely days and terrible scores and terrible days with high scores. That place will test your skill for sure.
    It seems that the .22 match we had there on Saturday has gotten high marks from those that participated in that match. That would be a good one for you and your boys to attend if you can get a rifle for that discipline, and at least practice will not eat you out of lead and powder.
    SAm

This was a great thread !!! Makes me want to join you guys and sounds just like the thing i need but living up in Alaska there isn't much opportunity for me lol . Sorry I'm a little late to the party , but I've been staying off the internet, no news or tv as I've grown angry at it Ha!ha .......... I've just been staying outside and in the woods with my Pup . Now if i didn't have to go into town for work i would be set lol . Anyway i enjoyed reading the thread , sounds like I'm missing out on some great fun and great people !!!! I guess it's just great to read about people having fun these days and helping each other out !!! A place filled with black powder smoke in the air , people happy and having fun sounds a little like heaven to me !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12