MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time BPCR Match

Boolit Buddy

1st Time BPCR Match

Looking at going to the Ridgway BPCR silhouette matches this year. Never been to a match so looking for tips on what is needed/helpful to have and bring along other than the obvious things. What are some of the things a first timer might not think of ahead of time to bring?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Looking at going to the Ridgway BPCR silhouette matches this year. Never been to a match so looking for tips on what is needed/helpful to have and bring along other than the obvious things. What are some of the things a first timer might not think of ahead of time to bring?
    That is great to hear. BPCR matches are some of the most fun I have. Likelly you too. No other place I want to be.
    As far as what to bring., which is a very good question. Rather than us guess what you think is the obvious stuff, let's compare lists and see what you already have.

You are not going to be on your own. You will be squaded with one or more people. They will have spotting scope and stool, shooting mat, spotting board and timer. You can bring your own too if you like.

What you need is your own supplies, ammo, cleaning supplies, cross sticks (maybe share) wiping rod or blow tube, sight settings are not necessary but at least a good 200 meter (yards will do) setting. From there the delta is about up 12 to pigs, up 15 to turkeys and up 19 to rams. This is close enough to get your bullet seen on the berm to start. Some smart guy on here is going to want to argue these come-ups. It is not worth our time to debate them. All loads and rifles will be a little different - yours too.

Bring lunch, unless they serve lunch like some of the better matches. A chair just in case and some note paper to write down your settings and all the things you discover you want to do, build, and buy before the next match.

Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    That is great to hear. BPCR matches are some of the most fun I have. Likelly you too. No other place I want to be.
    As far as what to bring., which is a very good question. Rather than us guess what you think is the obvious stuff, let's compare lists and see what you already have.

You are not going to be on your own. You will be squaded with one or more people. They will have spotting scope and stool, shooting mat, spotting board and timer. You can bring your own too if you like.

What you need is your own supplies, ammo, cleaning supplies, cross sticks (maybe share) wiping rod or blow tube, sight settings are not necessary but at least a good 200 meter (yards will do) setting. From there the delta is about up 12 to pigs, up 15 to turkeys and up 19 to rams. This is close enough to get your bullet seen on the berm to start. Some smart guy on here is going to want to argue these come-ups. It is not worth our time to debate them. All loads and rifles will be a little different - yours too.

Bring lunch, unless they serve lunch like some of the better matches. A chair just in case and some note paper to write down your settings and all the things you discover you want to do, build, and buy before the next match.

Michael Rix
    For the obvious stuff, I meant rifle, ammo, cleaning supplies, cross sticks. I have a spotting scope and a mat, wasn't sure if a mat was needed or not.

Thanks for the sight setting suggestions. That's one of my main concerns. I have no where to shoot far to get settings, so was a little worried about showing up looking like a clown.

What is a spotting board?

So my spotter will be someone else who is entered in the match? You can't go with a buddy who isn't going to be shooting to spot for you? What if I am inexperienced spotting and have to spot for someone?

Thanks for the help

Vendor Sponsor

For the obvious stuff, I meant rifle, ammo, cleaning supplies, cross sticks. I have a spotting scope and a mat, wasn't sure if a mat was needed or not.

Thanks for the sight setting suggestions. That's one of my main concerns. I have no where to shoot far to get settings, so was a little worried about showing up looking like a clown.

What is a spotting board?

So my spotter will be someone else who is entered in the match? You can't go with a buddy who isn't going to be shooting to spot for you? What if I am inexperienced spotting and have to spot for someone?

Thanks for the help
    Those are good questions. You won't look like a clown. We are almost all good people and very helpful. Everyone is a first timer to start. Right? You will be with great people.
    A spotting board is a Picture or image of the target you are shooting at and the guy spotting will locate the place your bullet hits down range - on the spotting board, ....to show you what your bullet and sight setting are doing. In other words, see your hits on a spotting board.
    Yes, a friend can spot for you. However, have one of the experienced guys or gals do it. You will thank me. No. You likely won't have to spot for someone else your first time. The match director will handle all that, just go along with what he set up for you and it will go well.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-19-2021 at 01:24 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Great thanks for taking the time to explain.

Banned

Need to know a bit more about yer gear.

First and most important, do you know the match rules and distances to be shot? Do you have all the gear required to shoot the match? If cross sticks are required, got a mallet to bang it into the ground (that might be hard as a rock). Got something to sit on, too? What is your gun? Is it sighted in and do you have the proper distance marks for the match you'll be shooting? Are your cartridges black or smokeless? If black, how will you address fouling control? You should have extra cartridges, and tools for your gun - I even have extra Sharps and roller firing pins. What is yer guns sight system? Got extra apertures to swap in for different lighting conditions? If shooting black, a water jug for spent cases and even if yer blow tubing, have a cleaning rod and patches and some wet spray (WD40, Ballistol, etc) to keep the tube and action cleaned and the bp residue soft for the trip back to yer ranch for proper cleaning. Sometimes blow tubing won't be enuf, and you'll know that as yer greaser will be tough to chamber and a wiping stick, fluid, and lotsa patches will be required. Paper towels come in mighty handy. Most of all, have phun - that should be the prime reason for attending, along with gaining Lotsa Knowledge for the next go 'round so you'll be better prepared.

Boolit Man
    In looking over what folks have said, I think they hit most of the importiant parts. A shooting mat of some sort you will definitely need. The firing line at Ridgway is concrete but does have a nice straight edge where you can put your sticks into the ground. If you don't have one of the commercial shooting mats, go to harbor freight and get a moveing mat like you get with a U-haul truck, they are cheap and thick. Bring a lunch and lots of water or your favorite beverage. You will dry out up at Ridgway. There is a Sheetz store in town about 2 blocks off of the main street where you can stop and get breakfast goodies, and a lunch sandwich and other stuff on your way to the range.
    Bring lots of extra ammo as well. They have practice on Saturday afternoon to get sight settings and such. Its a good place to shoot and lots of nice helpful people.
    SAm

Boolit Master

Good luck and please report back afterwards
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well done Chills, and Sam.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Chill and Sam has covered it pretty well.
    When you said going to Ridgeway you must live somewhere east of the Mississippi. There are some good silhouette matches at Friendship Indiana, Alma Michigan is the one I make several times a year and it was the place I shot my first Silhouette match and my blunders were overlooked and was helped. Very friendly shooters at that monthly match and you have time for getting sight settings on Friday for the Sat and Sunday match.
    I been going to Alma now for several years and I never heard a cross word or complain from any of the folks there.
    The match will start in April.
    This year I hope to make Ridgeway and Friendship also.
    By the way, take a .22 also. They usually shoot a 200 yard .22 silhouette match on Saturday evening also.

Kurt

Boolit Man
    Oh and one last thing, some rain gear would be a good thing to bring along. As much as I try to keep the rain away on match weekends I am not always successful and at times it will rain. On occasion it will rain really hard. Something else to maybe think about is one of those pop up pavilions. While we do have a lot of covered area for you and your stuff between relays those areas can get a bit crowded at times. If you have one and it wouldn't be a problem to pack, its something to keep in mind. For the normal monthly matches it shouldn't be a problem getting under cover and the firing line is covered. Should you decide to come to one of the multi day matches, those can get crowded a little. I am looking forward to you coming and shooting with us. I will be the voice in your ear all day as I work as the RO for the BP matches and this year I will also be the RO for the .22 matches.
    Sam

Boolit Grand Master

I will also recommend the notebook. A stenographers is fine. Track sight setting and take notes.

If you get on first relay, If you do end up spotting you will have a good idea of what is expected.Your spotter is your best help in these matches. A seasoned guy will give you so much info you will be amazed.

Another thing that may help is to "attend" a match to watch and learn before shooting in one, This will allow you to see and hear range commands along with what is done. It will also give you a chance to talk to seasoned shooters and find out what gear you need and if what you have is good This will also make your first match easier knowing whats going on and happening

Boolit Man
    Poor Hawlkenhunter, all this information is almost an over load. Almost looks like he might be thinking he needs a tractor trailer to bring all the crap he needs or thinks he might need. One thing I can pretty much assure you of, you will get any help you need at the match and if you can be there the day before many will be there to help you out. If you don't have a spotter, someone will spot for you and if worse comes to worse. I will spot for you, I might be a bit rusty but I think I can get you to hit a few. I went back up and read over things and I did see one thing that wasn't mentioned was a set of elbow pads. They don't have to be expensive or overly fancy but they will end up being much appreciated. I see where you said you have a shooting mat, if its like most mats with the rubber covering where your elbows set, you will really want a set of elbow pads. If you have shot with a shooting coat, you wouldn't notice it but with this game, your not going to have much between skin and that rubber than maybe a shirt or sweat shirt. its no fun having rug burns on your elbows by the end of the day. No matter what caliber your using, you will move around some.
    As for Ammo, a good minimum to have for the match is 60, Double that or so if you can show up on Saturday and get some zeros.
    One last thing to keep in mind, every single shooter there was brand new to this game at some point. The best way to keep this sport going is to get new shooters into the game and help them out so that they have a good time the first time, and come back for a good time next time. I can also vouch for just about everyone that shoots at Ridgway, they are a fun easy going bunch. They put up with me so they can't be all that bad of a bunch.
    I am looking forward to seeing you there. Do you know yet what date you will be there for your first?
    Sam

Sam,

Do you have the date schedules posted yet?
    I need to pay Gale a visit at CPA so that would save two trips through Hell getting there.

And are stools welcome. I cant shoot prone anymore because of the Back pains.

Kurt

Boolit Man
    yes we will let you shoot setting, there is at least one other shooter that has to shoot that way. Here is the link to the club, http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com/, and this should take you to the match calender, http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com/Club...dar%202021.pdf. If that second link doesn't work it can be accessed from the club home page that I posted the first link to.
    I also think but don't hold me to it, that the rail can be removed in places to make it easier for those that have to set to shoot. But we do what we can to do our best to accommodate everyone. There is also a link on the home page to lodging and accommodations. If your pulling the Gypsy wagon, there are accommodations right at the range for that. If you can make it to one of our matches I would be very happy to finally meet you.
    Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Alright, thanks everyone, lots of good stuff.

Country Gent, I was thinking of doing exactly like you said, showing up and watching, but there's only so many times I'll be able to go, so figured I'd just do it.

Planning on hitting the first 1 at end of April. Not sure if all the slots are taken though. I sent an email to the blackpowder contact on Ridgway website asking how to go about signing up, just waiting to hear back. If it's filled up I think I'll still go and just observe though.

Boolit Man
    For the most part signup is done right there at the match. Come prepared to shoot. I don't think that there will be any problems getting you a place to shoot. Usually we run 2 relays. If we have more shooters then we will run 3. At times there may only be 3 or 4 shooters on the 3rd Relay but we make sure everyone that shows up ready to shoot can shoot. All that adding another relay does it make the shooting day a little longer is all. Not a biggie. We start off with a one hour warm up/practice from 8 to 9. Then a shooters meeting where we do a run over the rules, answer any questions and such. Then its take the target setters down range and get things going. As a general rule I do my best to keep things moveing along but strive to keep it a nice relaxed atmosphere. I think just about every match we have to wait for someone to get out of the bathroom before we can start a relay, hey we are all getting older and nature calls a bit more often. I always try to do my best to make sure everyone has enough time to get ready, I don't want anyone to feel rushed. Once everyone is ready, There is a 30 second ready command, and then 7 minutes for you to fire your first string. Unlimited sighters and 5 shots for record. The line is then made safe, the targets are reset and we go again. The second string you get the 30 second ready command and then 5 minutes for 5 shots for record, no sighters. The shooters are then asked to make the line safe, remove their equipment from the line. The targets are reset and repainted. The next relay can bring their equipment only to the line while the target setters are out. Once they are back in their bunkers, the relay may bring their rifles to the line and we get ready to have at it again. I will be looking forward to seeing you there. I am pretty sure you will have a nice time. If nothing else, when your not shooting you can set and watch everyone else shoot, see how they do things. I am pretty sure you may be amazed when you watch the targets through either a scope or binoculars and watch a shooter on his second relay place his shot right on top of where they hit the target on the first relay.
    Sam

TNX. Sam.

The reason I asked, some of the ranges around here are putting up baffles because the population is close and I just cant see under them sitting.

at one match I asked my shooting partner to leave his Matt and sticks inlace, I want to try prone on the turkey line. When I got down on the ground the pain in the neck going down my back I had a hard time getting on the swinger and time was running out and had to go for score. I missed all 5. When they reset I had him pull his sticks and Matt and I set up my stuff and ended up cleaning all 5.
    The line boss came up to me when I was pulling my stuff off line and said "that is the damnedest thing I have ever watched. Everyone wants to shoot on their bellies because they cant hit anything sitting and your doing the opposite."
    I said when you concentrate on the pain you cant concentrate on hitting the targets.

I will save the link and head your way when I get done at Alma.

Kurt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    TNX. Sam.

The reason I asked, some of the ranges around here are putting up baffles because the population is close and I just cant see under them sitting.

at one match I asked my shooting partner to leave his Matt and sticks inlace, I want to try prone on the turkey line. When I got down on the ground the pain in the neck going down my back I had a hard time getting on the swinger and time was running out and had to go for score. I missed all 5. When they reset I had him pull his sticks and Matt and I set up my stuff and ended up cleaning all 5.
    The line boss came up to me when I was pulling my stuff off line and said "that is the damnedest thing I have ever watched. Everyone wants to shoot on their bellies because they cant hit anything sitting and your doing the opposite."
    I said when you concentrate on the pain you cant concentrate on hitting the targets.

I will save the link and head your way when I get done at Alma.

Kurt
    I wish I could go prone, but perhaps like you both my back and neck complain big time, so I sit. It's kinda like having a handicap, but it is what it is.

Boolit Man
    To the best of my knowledge, the guy that shoots setting in a chair came and watched one year and brought up the question. Since I am not in the management of running the match I don't know what all was said or what all was looked at, all I know is he comes and shoots with us and he sits. Maybe they bend the rules a little, maybe they just look the other way, either way I just don't care. The man comes, he shoots, he competes, he has fun, to me thats all a good thing. To me its more important to give someone the chance at some pleasure than it is to stick exactly to the rules.
    If there is any down side to this sport its the fact that so few young people are coming out and enjoying it. We do have a couple of young shooters but not many. It is nice to hear the dads bitch and complain about their offspring whipping them at the game they have been enjoying for a while. Any and everyone of you are always welcome to pack up, head east and enjoy our matches. And if you do please stop by my perch and introduce your self. I am not hard to find.
    Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast