Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Scrap yard find today

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Scrap yard find today

OK, having a few hours off between swapping to night shift, i wandered around a little bit in the small town i'm currently working in. HMMMM, a scrap yard!!!!!!! So, i stopped in, asked about some lead for sale, "sure, come on over here" Long story short, 35 minutes and $83 dollars later, i got 13 bars of solder, mixed up in 60/40 and 50/50, plus the rest of the 83 pounds in wheel weight ingots, and plumbing "p" traps with all kinds of soldered joints in them!! Plus, a source that will sell to the public!!!! Not too bad. $1 a pound for bar solder?? Uhhhh, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(it gets better)

Second stop, when turning on my exit to my trailer park, i see ANOTHER scrap yard!!! HMMM

Same scenario." you got any lead" same answer, "come on over here"

So, the attendant said we got this bin full, oh, wait i think there is another barrel over here!! In said barrel is about 250+ pounds of SAECO stamped ingots, " what are those, i asked. This lady cleaned out her husband's reloading room, after he had passed, that was her answer. RIP fellow caster. Got any idea of content says me, reply, "He bought the wheel weights here for all of his casting." Thank you, 75 pounds of SAECO stamped ingots in the truck now, $93( this was $1.25 a pound instead of $1 a pound) and i will be back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    plus the buckets.

Awesome score for me as i usually have to do the gather, sort, and remelt of wheel weights and deal with the clips,etc.

PM me for the address of both yards, (as they are in EAST Texas).

Just passing along some info to my fellow casters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be at work tonight, so if don't answer immediately, i'll get to ya asap.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome score.

Really nice finds!

Chris

Cool.

That sounds pretty close to my neighborhood.
    If I was 20 years younger, I'd make a few trips back there buy all they had.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post

Same scenario." you got any lead" same answer, "come on over here"

So, the attendant said we got this bin full, oh, wait i think there is another barrel over here!! In said barrel is about 250+ pounds of SAECO stamped ingots, " what are those, i asked. This lady cleaned out her husband's reloading room, after he had passed, that was her answer. RIP fellow caster. Got any idea of content says me, reply, "He bought the wheel weights here for all of his casting." Thank you, 75 pounds of SAECO stamped ingots in the truck now, $93( this was $1.25 a pound instead of $1 a pound)
    Congratulations on the new source. The yards around here won't sell to the public.

My Family has been ask to not sell my stash for scrap prices but to offer it up to other casters.

Boolit Master
    awesome find,
    wonder if deceased caster's brass is in brass bin and molds and furnace in steel pile.

Boolit Master

Farmbif, I asked the same question the attendant said there was no stuff like that came in ! A good tip to the attendant I did pay!! She said she would help me out next time!!

Lightman, I agree with you there on offering to fellow casters already told the better half don’t give it away!!! I love finding a new source!! Hahahaha I bet that first guy thought I was an idiot standing on my head digging in that drum!!

Winger, that second place has about 4 plus tons in one box!! 4x4x4 overflowed and a 700 pound boat keel to boot!! I had to leave before I had to call for transport truck!!!! Bwaaaahhhaaaaa!! Hey, y’all know what I mean. Be safe guys!! ( ps I get paid tomorrow)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

Ugh. I keep meaning to visit the Salvation Army and salvage yards around here. Awesome find.

Sometimes I wonder if this was your fate for the day. To rescue this guys “stash” and let him live on some how through this manner.

Boolit Master

Doc, it might have been my fate for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wherever this caster is, i feel sure he's smiling down on us and thanking me for rescuing his stash from the scrap yard, because when i do get a chance to go home, it's all going home with me!!!!!!! Just keep stacking it, might need it, ya never know.

Boolit Master

Well, i got a chance to melt down the plumbing lead pieces i bought from this scrap yard! Oh boy, was it DIRTY!!!(I do all my melting outside with a stiff wind or a fan blowing the smoke) it took 4 handfuls of pine and cedar sawdust to get it clean to my standards. Fluxed it 4 times with the sawdust and reduced the oxides back in 4 times with paraffin wax and then the last cleaner was pure pine rosin! It is soft as butter! Poured it up in my Redneck Gold molds,( thanks Lakehouse) and added it to the stash.
    Thanks to some members on this fine forum, i have enough linotype and monotype to make enough 92-6-2 to last me for all my shooting days, i hope.

i also stopped by and added 100 more pounds to the ww stash. (How many here have said this," i think i have enough now????????????) Hahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, sure i do!
    Be safe out there,guys.

If ya get energetic--- ya might check out the antique car forums.

Back before Bondo came along, they did body work with solder.
    That's how the term 'Lead sled' came along for over worked body damage on cars.

You might check their sites to sell some bar solder at WAY more than you paid for it.

Not that hardly anybody is still using it,
    but it looks cool hanging on the wall among other vintage stuff in the garage where you keep your restored antique car.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-05-2021 at 09:40 PM.

EVERYONE!

My local scrap yard calls me "The Lead Guy". Guy has my number in his phone and calls me when he gets a load of lead sheeting in. I swing buy and pick up a couple 100 lbs when he does
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Might want to check the scrap yards for any bins of pewter too. Pewter is 85 to 91% tin and tin bars from vendors are running $15 to $20 a pound
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I know what you are talking about!!! Dad used to work part time in the "50's in a body shop, they used solder back then.Winger Ed, my"antique car" is a fully restored 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel truck! (that produces over 500 engine horsepower now). Have a new 2018 Ram 2500 now, so 02 doesn't get driven much except to shut up the young ones around my hometown! My dream car is to build a Plymouth SuperBird clone, using a Charger in the 2010-2015 year models! It can be done, but, whoohoo it cost some cash to buy the car, weld the doors shut, bodywork, engine work, etc. Retirement dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Boy, i'm on active search for pewter and tin also when i go in these scrapyards, for sure!!!!!!

509thsfs, i try to deal local if i can, but being out of town presently, i jump on the deals when i see them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    I know what you are talking about!!! Dad used to work part time in the "50's in a body shop, they used solder back then.Winger Ed, !
    Here and there, when I was into fat fender antique cars, and was working at the automotive paint store- I'd see those bars in shops.
    Some of their customers insisted their car be repaired with the old school solder instead of Bondo---
    which, if done right, is actually better.

In the late 50's, my Dad worked as a salesman for 3M. They were the ones that actually invented it.
    He'd show it to a shop head, demonstrate it, and more often than not, get thrown out.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-05-2021 at 10:01 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Went back to the first scrap yard I visited, and , wouldn’t ya know, in the lead barrel was a honest-to- God Linotype pig!!!!! 23 pounds and it went in the truck along with some more soft stuff!!! I’m dangerous around the lead drum! Hahaha. Be safe out there.

Banned
    Nice find
    Local scrap yards buy lead for 15¢ a pound and sell it for $1.50. I refuse to pay that for pure & mystery lead. Sometimes I will buy rolls/bars of solder