RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Need recommendations, 30-30 full wadcutter, PC

Boolit Man

Need recommendations, 30-30 full wadcutter, PC

30-30 wadcutters in the 130 range... I can PC them easily enough. I know I can use trailboss but what other loads even make sense to try? Will be shot mainly through a contender but a few will likely find their way into a 336

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    4198 checked or 4350 bare for full jacketed speeds in 150-170 weights .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I have never seen a 30-30 wadcutter bullet of any weight; What you talking about Willis?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't know about 30 cal wadcutters, but if your just starting out or been casting for a while there sure isn't anything wrong with lee's 150 grain flat point mold for any 30-30 application. there is good load data for pistol powders like unique, 2400, 4227 and rifle powders like 4198, 3031, 748

Boolit Grand Master
    The only full wadcutter I can think of for a thirty caliber rifle would be one of the ones meant for a .32 S&W Long, but all that I am aware of weigh around 98 grains.

You could have a custom mold cut, but I question the usefulness of a 130 grain 30 cal WC.

Robert

Boolit Man
    I have a bunch of cylindrical slugs that are .320ish and size down easily to .314. Most are right at 100 gr and will be perfect or 32long. Some though are in the 130 and 150 gr range which is clearly too long for the 32 long and I figure I can just size them down and use them as range fodder. I see no reason they wouldn’t perform well as a target type bullet. Aerodynamics of a school bus not considered, of course, but light loads to let me mess around and let my girls shoot a low recoil round.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to see a picture of one . Never heard or seen anything like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot a lot of 32 wadcutters sized at .311 and .312 but only in the 100 grain weight class. All subs under 1100 fps. They shot good out to 50 yds or so. Some feeding problems so I switched to 155 plain base flat nose, same speed and very good accuracy. If you got them shoot them but I won't cast any more in favor of the 155 feeding better.
    Now in a 30 bolt gun or single shot they make great short range gallery type loads.
    Tony

Banned

The Lee 113 grain "soup can" and five grains of Clays. Skip the Trail Boss, much, much loading data out there for such loads using more efficient powders. Skip the nail polish too, waste of time and effeminate besides.
    Attachment 279846

Boolit Master

Try Bullseye!

Quote Originally Posted by WestKentucky View Post
    30-30 wadcutters in the 130 range... I can PC them easily enough. I know I can use trailboss but what other loads even make sense to try? Will be shot mainly through a contender but a few will likely find their way into a 336
    Hi,
    If you are looking for really light "cat sneeze" loads, there are lots of threads on the forum covering those. My recommendation for a .30-30 with 110-130gr PCd bullet would be 2.5 - 3.0gr Bullseye (no filler needed.) I shoot variations of this load in my .30 Herrett (pic below,) .30-06, .308, and .300 Savage using either the Lee TL314-90-SWC or Lee C309-120R (with GC shank reamed out) both PCd or Tumble Lubed. Lot's of fun and minute of golf ball accurate at 50 yds.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 Herrett plinkers.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	279847

Boolit Master
    You can turn any cast bullet upside down and load it to have a wadcutter.
    They shoot just fine when you adjust for overall length.
    Also the Lyman Cast Bullet manual is available Free online as a pdf for download.
    Just Google it.
    another thing
    check out
    www.cornellpubs.com
    for great reprints at reasonable prices of old Ideal manuals and Lyman manuals from 1920s thru now.
    including 2nd and 3rd edition reprints of Cast Bullet manuals .

Boolit Man
    @shaner I would love to show a picture of one. Cant get squat to work on this site. I got it once but forgot what I had to do to make it work. No pics and no tags. It’s frustrating.

Banned
    For my Contender G 2 with 14 inch 30-30 barrel I like a 94 grain bullet sized to .308 and load 4.3 grains of tite group. This is a fun accurate load at 25 yards. Also use large pistol primers as I have several of them.

Grafs sells a Nagant bullet that is 98grains, 308 diameter, and a full wad cutter.

Boolit Master
    I’m with Redleg Ed on this one.
    My choice is bullseye with the Lee soup can.
    Very accurate with 3-4grains.
    Can go up total east 200 grn fp if you wish.
    My favourite at the moment is the pope style 178grn copy.
    Shoots to 330 yards not an issue.
    150 grn. 308241 if you want a bit more wind resistance.
    Mostly anything Ihave used will get a load to shoot just below the sonic range.

Lots of data on this site for mouse fart loads.

I have not had great success past 50 yards with a backward bullet as a wad cutter.
    But it sure as heck let’s you know it has arrived.

I have the ness safety bullet and you can mould it without the hollow point pin as a bit flat point.
    It hits hard with a dose of powder behind it.
    As a huge big hollow point you can see plumes of target backer fly up if it is thick with left over layers of stapled targets.
    Just saying.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 04-28-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    I will stick to 73 grain round balls, and 3 grains of Red Dot... 1175 fps in the 300 Savage Mauser, should be about same in a 30-30, IDK... deadly to at least 30 to 40 Yards.. May have to Stalk them pesky Muskrats!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I have shot a lot of wc in a 30-30 contender with 14" bbl. Great groups with either 84 or 95 gr bullets 2-2.5 gr BE or Red Dot. I have always just used them as 25 or 50 yard plinkers. The 311440 is a near wadcutter at 150 gr. and can be pushed much faster.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze