Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: NOE mold

Boolit Mold

NOE mold

I'm looking to start buying better quality molds. I was looking at an Noe 44 caliber mold that I found for sale. it is .434 diameter, why so large? I would think .430 would be correct.
    Currently I have a Lee mold that makes bullets .005 too big. I don't want to spend twice the money on a mold that's going to give me the same issue when I go to size the bullets.

Boolit Man

A lot of guns have cylinder throats that are large, making a need for .434 moulds. Check your gun's throat(s). You may need larger than .430, even if your bore is .429.
    I don't use a lot of hard alloys, so I don't mind sizing down some thousandths.
    Let's go Brandon!

You could also look at Arsenal and Accurate molds as well, you can decide the diameter you want when ordering. Downside is that being custom molds and not something in stock, be prepared to wait a very long time for your order to be completed.

Boolit Master

What gun are you trying to use the boolits in? Handguns are supposed to have .429" groove dimensions, while rifles are spec'd at 0.431. Typically I use a .432-.434 in lever action .44s. A ruger super Blackhawk I have should do alright with a .430. I think that is what the cylinder throats measure.

It really depends on what you firearm measures in the throats or in the leade, as long as that is larger than your groove dimension, you should be good.

Boolit Master

For what it's worth... My Ruger RH has .4325" throats and .430" grooves. My Dan Wesson HV has .430" throats with .4296" grooves in the solid molly barrel (unfortunately cast can not be run in the .4276" vented barrel).

Both have always had a tendency to lead-up a bit, and no doubt both would do better if the throats were opened up a wee bit (.432").

My Rossi R92 lever gun has .433" grooves.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan