Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Magnifying Glass

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

LED Magnifying Glass

I’m getting ready to buy a big magnifying glass, the type that mounts on an arm with a big lens in the middle of a circle of bright LEDs. When looking at different models, I see that the are mostly available in two, what are called diopters. 3 and 5. It seems they are more or less the same as 3 and 5 power. Which would be best for working on gun parts such as triggers and locks? The 3 or 5 power?
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I find low magnification more generally useful and prefer a visor to the mounted magnifiers.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Visor here also

BugIn
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    Not suggesting you are but don't confuse diopter with Xs. 3 diopter = 1 3/4X and 5 diopter = 2.25X.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    Not suggesting you are but don't confuse diopter with Xs. 3 diopter = 1 3/4X and 5 diopter = 2.25X.
    I just learned something, thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    I just learned something, thanks
    Same here, been debating one of these myself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    Thanks for explaining that. What I had read made it seem like diopter equated the same as power. If a 3 diopter is only 1 3/4X, I think I will go for the 5 diopter 2.25X.

I'm a skinflint, penny pincher and all that. I've picked up several of the arm mounted magnifiers over the years and have then scattered around the shop. I have one mounted between my milling machine and lathe for inspection and to help with reading micrometers. I have one on loading bench for inspection. One in the woodshop for inspection. The catch for me is that no matter the magnification, I have to "focus" the item by adjusting the distance of item to glass and my eye to glass- so the degree of enlargement is really relative. BUT when it comes to checkering, fine / close work- it's visors. I have a couple low-magnification and one with multiple lenses that I can change magnification.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master

I have a visor that was given to me from the estate of someone who passed. I just have to go and pick it up. Somehow it’s taking longer than it should. I plan on using both. The magnifying glass type also serve as a good intestine light source. Sometimes that’s more important than magnification.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use a visor. I found the arm mounted magnifiers to be in the way too many times.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I have a visor that was given to me from the estate of someone who passed. I just have to go and pick it up. Somehow it’s taking longer than it should. I plan on using both. The magnifying glass type also serve as a good intestine light source. Sometimes that’s more important than magnification.
    I have both and like them but did not know they could be used for intestines?
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
    I have both and like them but did not know they could be used for intestines?
    That’s why I usually hate auto correct!

Quote Originally Posted by greglaroche View Post
    that’s why i usually hate auto correct!
    ditto!

Boolit Bub
    My vote is both. I have an arm mount led 5x at my bench a nd have several visors in different magnifications to usr for really small work such as deep bores or really fine threads on the lathe.
    Benefactor Member of NRA

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have both, use the glass for quick looks at things (from electronics to reloading) and the visors for higher magnification looks at things. The glass helps with doing larger surface mount work, but some of it gets so tiny that you need the visor!

Boolit Master
    I have an old school Luxo 5 inch magnifier with a circular florescent tube that I got on ebay for $50 shipped. The gal who sold it called it "vintage". It has a glass lens. It is anchored between the reloading bench and bullet sorting bench. I use it for everything from bullet sorting to soldering.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I find low magnification more generally useful and prefer a visor to the mounted magnifiers.
    Ditto. I bought one of those arm-mounted things a few years ago. Hated it from the beginning. Clumsy.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    Guys, I'm currently using a Harbor Freight magnifying lamp.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/deskto...amp-60642.html
    3-5/16 in. viewing lens with 2x magnification, 7/8 in. spot lens with 4.25x magnification.

I'm looking for something with higher magnification which provides illumination.
    If you are using something that you're happy with, could you post a link ?

Boolit Buddy

I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I used it last night sorting brass sitting in the recliner, not the most comfortable but does the job.

Diopter is the unit of measurement of a magnifying lens. It is the reciprocal of the focal length in meters. A 3 diopter lens is in focus at 1/3 (0.33) meter, a 5 diopter focuses at 1/5 (0.2) meter. High optical power comes with short focal length, and optical power relates directly to diopter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast