Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm in deep trouble

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    A fellow on a knife forum I frequent said he got the "we have nude/sexual photos of you and if you don't send us money, we will send them to everyone in you email folder..." He said he decided on a pre-emptive strike, so he sent nude photos to everyone in his email folder. I hoped that he was joking, but he is a Tasmanian.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Lately I've gotten a number of calls with no one there. I think the dialers call multiple numbers and I was slower than someone else. Darn.
    I've had that too. There are also sometimes when you answer the call you can hear another person saying hello as you are saying hello, then the line goes dead. I've always loved the Tom Mabe telemarketer gags. These are old now, but still make you laugh.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Lately I've gotten a number of calls with no one there. I think the dialers call multiple numbers and I was slower than someone else. Darn.
    I get the same. Always wondered what they were up to. Got a notice on house phone that there was a voice-mail message. Weird as the phone never rang. Was a local number. Listened to message and all I got was an older woman saying Rita then nothing. Literally two minutes later the phone rings and it is the same number. He says he saw I called him. We laughed about scammers and such and I commented that his wife left her name. He told me his wife had passed a long time ago and that he had called our post office to verify I was legit - small town and post office knows everyone. I had to go to post office anyway and told the post master woman what happened. She was very surprised I knew the name of his wife since the number is in his name and she had passed a while ago when I told her who called and such. Really weird. Guess ghosts are reaching out and touching. Was even stranger that I had met the guy in the post office several months ago. Never even gave names as the post master told him when we met. Whole thing just raised goose bumps.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine is Welsh speaking and talks to these people in Welsh, it only takes couple of seconds before they hang up.

Boolit Master
    Spanish works too.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Mold
    I have been getting a lot of student loan scam calls. I don't have student loans ; )

Boolit Master

The fact is, the international phone-system is badly compromised and spoofing (faking) a phone-number is as easy as spoofing an email-address.

Blocking the apparent number doesn't help - you'd just be just blocking the real, innocent owner of that number. In response, I'm highly-suspicious of all calls originating from within my area-code (only my ex-wife has the same prefix out of all my contacts) so I just let them roll-over to voicemail - and on review, every single one is a spam/scam voicemail.
    Last edited by AndyC; 03-24-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Man
    We have had a rash of calls to direct lines at work. We just pass the callers around and leave them on hold for extended periods until they hang up. The most recent one called my direct number... from my direct number. I honestly want to know how they are making that caller I’d scenario happen.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by WestKentucky View Post
    We have had a rash of calls to direct lines at work. We just pass the callers around and leave them on hold for extended periods until they hang up. The most recent one called my direct number... from my direct number. I honestly want to know how they are making that caller I’d scenario happen.
    You can download an app and do it right from your cell phone. It's been available for years. With VOIP phone systems now you can do all sorts of interesting stuff if you wanted to.

That is how I'll treat the actual police, if they call on the phone.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Got the call that I had won a new Cadillac awhile ago. Whooped and hollered like a banshee into the phone for 3-4 minutes. Talked to my wife all excited, I was home alone. The said all I had to do was send the $800 tax money and it was mine. I kept asking about all the features it had, if it had heated seats and mirrors, everything I could think of. Finally started to ask were to send the money too. They wanted a Western Union money order. I balked and kept offering checks. After about 20 minutes I told them to send the car and I would pay cash to the delivery guy.

They hung up...........

Don
    Mom got the same. Asked my opinion. Told her scam. She sent the $$ anyways. Duh ..... no car .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I can't believe my car warranty has expired three times in the last week.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive got the ever dry basement guy coming out next week. Hope he shows me where the basement is, I could use the extra room

Banned
    From reading through this it seems I am missing out on a lot of great offers. I wear a hands free device with the phone on auto answer. If I do not say anything they automatically hang up, then I block that number.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I can't believe my car warranty has expired three times in the last week.
    You think that’s bad, mine keeps expiring and I don’t even Have a car!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Got a call yesterday. Turns out that due to activity in my bank account a federal investigation has been started and there is a warrant for my arrest. I hung up rather than talk to am "agent ".

I figureit is just a matterof time before a SWAT team rappels out of a black helicopter and hits my door with a ram. ...
    ME TOO! Except I told them to come on I have a few new toys and could use the target practice, also told them my dog could use some new "chew toys". Would you believe they hung up on me?!?!?!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    You think that’s bad, mine keeps expiring and I don’t even Have a car!

I talked to them once, told them I was interested on getting a warranty on my 1995 geo tracker with +300k Miles on it. Said I have a lot of work needing done since I rolled it. They hung up on my too, but keep calling!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    For some reason they never want to extend the warranty on my 1927 Ford. I usedeto get calls from they guys wanting to help me with my credit. One time I told them I had 445,000 debt between 14 credit cards. The guy actually forwarded me to his boss, who hung up on me.
    I have a 2003 Jetta with over 200K on it, and for reason they never want to extend my warranty either. Can't understand why...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123