Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got a new one

Banned

got a new one

Been looking for a 7mag. Put in request to be notified about everywhere when one gets in stock. Buds emailed me and said they had weatherby vanguards badlands. Its a model with the metal a bronze color and a brown camo stock. Wasnt really what i was looking for but figured if i didnt like it i could always trade it off. Well it came yesterday and in person it actually looks cool. I mounted a 4x12 leupold on it. Ill say this. This vanguard has hands down the best factory trigger ive ever seen on a working mans bolt gun. It breaks with absolutely no creep at 2.7 lbs. Hope its a shooter. Ive had crap luck in the past with 7mags. Had three of them and none of them were shooters. that said they were all rugers so that might explain it. Comical thing is i had 3 buddys stop by yesterday and we were all sitting around the loading room and i also had my new 70 featherweight 280 out there. It has some VERY exceptional wood for a factory rifle. But the gun they all were attracted to was the weatherby. Now me give me nice wood any day of the week.

Do Weatherby rifles still come with an accuracy guarantee?

Banned

yup it says its guaranteed to do moa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Accuracy "guarantee" is useless anyway. They shoot it until they get a 1" three shot groups and say "See! It is accurate."

Hope it works out for you Lloyd. I feel sorry for the little deer that get hammered by that thing...LOL
    Don Verna

In the past I have owned several Weatherby rifles that had accuracy guarantees. Granted that it had been a couple of decades or more since that time.
    Nevertheless, those rifles all shot to the guaranteed accuracy level or better.
    Back then the guarantee was 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Do you mind telling us how much you paid for it?

Boolit Master
    if an accuracy guarantee is anything like bergara you can probably count on it. Weatherby although they did come out with budget line guns, I look at the good stuff they produce as the gold standard, they have produced some very fine shooting and spectacular looking rifles.

Boolit Master
    Twice I have broken in the bores on new bolt action rifles. Shoot one shot, clean the bore. Shoot two shots, clean the bore. Carry on until you shoot ten shots. Used JB bore paste. Could actually feel the bore get smoother as you pushed the patches through. Both these Remingtons could do 3 shots inside an inch at 200 yards with hand loads. With a 7mm mag it would be expensive and a work out! Probably better to just clean after each outing with it and then work the bore with back and forth strokes of JB.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Accuracy "guarantee" is useless anyway. They shoot it until they get a 1" three shot groups and say "See! It is accurate."

Hope it works out for you Lloyd. I feel sorry for the little deer that get hammered by that thing...LOL
    yup. Had a buddy who couldnt get moa out of his 270 vaguard and he sent it in and they sent it back with a photo copy (not even the actual one) target that had 3 shots into 15/16s. Wonder how many people got that same target.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Do you mind telling us how much you paid for it?
    $689 shipped plus 2o bucks to the dealer for a transfer.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-17-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Twice I have broken in the bores on new bolt action rifles. Shoot one shot, clean the bore. Shoot two shots, clean the bore. Carry on until you shoot ten shots. Used JB bore paste. Could actually feel the bore get smoother as you pushed the patches through. Both these Remingtons could do 3 shots inside an inch at 200 yards with hand loads. With a 7mm mag it would be expensive and a work out! Probably better to just clean after each outing with it and then work the bore with back and forth strokes of JB.
    I rarely break in a rifle proper. I take out 2 or 3 new ones with maybe 10 different loads for each. . Shoot 5 5 shot groups out of each gun that day. take them home and clean them and do the same the next day. Last fall i took out a push feed model 70 06 i got on trade and took the load i used in another 06. Got it sighted in and the first 2 5 shot groups went just under an inch. I quit right there. Went home and pulled all the ammo down i had loaded for it for load development. I dont have the time or paitents to shoot a shot then clean shoot another then clean. I HATE CLEANING GUNS. Ive done it that way for years and dont see a differnce in the anal cleaning crap. Might have been the case back in the 60s when guns tended to have rougher bores then they do today. Only rough bores ive seen in the last 20 years were rugers. Even they have gotten better lately. My cheap 300 bo american shot a moa group after 12 shots sighting it in with a 5 minute cool down and no cleaning. Might make your gun shoot a .1 of an inch better but how could you even prove that. I used to fight guns too that didnt shoot. Lap them bed them ect. No more. If it wont shoot out of the box it goes to the gun shop. In my experience either there going to shoot or there not.

I have done the long break in process on only one rifle. It was a custom match rifle set up for long range(for me) work. The process resulted in accuracy levels of .5 MOA or better at 200 yards. On a calm day, I can get 3/4 of an inch at 300 yards. Average is 1 to 1.25 inches.
    The long break in process was recommended by the barrel manufacturer( Bartlein). The process was more for breaking in the chamber throat than the barrel since the barrel is already very smooth.

I don't know how much, if any, this process would help other rifles. I own a couple of 223 varmint rifles that will do about the same at 200 yards that didn't get that break in process.
    Last edited by tazman; 03-17-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have done the long break in procedure twice. It is a royal PITA. Not sure how you can tell if it actually does anything but it cannot hurt anything either. I will likely do it one more time on a bolt action .223 I need to get running. Seems like a waste of time to get anal for a gun like an AR15 or lever action pistol caliber carbine.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    $689 shipped plus 2o bucks to the dealer for a transfer.
    Thanks. I hope it turns out to be the good shooter you’re looking for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have done the long break in procedure twice. It is a royal PITA. Not sure how you can tell if it actually does anything but it cannot hurt anything either. I will likely do it one more time on a bolt action .223 I need to get running. Seems like a waste of time to get anal for a gun like an AR15 or lever action pistol caliber carbine.
    The quality of barrels seems to have improved over the years. Many come from the factory now with mirror smooth bores. Ruger American or those T/C Compass models come to mind. The back and forth with the JB bore paste after cleaning sure seems to improve things in terms of fouling and ease of cleaning though. I had a Bushmaster Dissipator with a chrome lined fluted barrel years ago that I polished up with JB. Used to splatter horse flies that landed on my targets at 100 yards with it. My son has it now and it is still a shooter.

Banned

Problem with it is you cant prove it helps. There is no way to know. Each gun is different so you could get better accuracy just shooting with one gun then you did with the next gun on the assembly line that you went through this procedure with just because of luck of the draw. Like i said. I dont doubt it helps but i seriously doubt that your going to take a gun that would have shot 1.5 at a hundred yards and make it sub moa just by breaking it in using that routine. It might help enough for bench rest shooters that .001 makes a differnce in winning a match or not but i doubt its helping a hunting rifle enough to make the differnce in a good one or bad one. Kind of like the argument on breaking in the motor in your car. You cant claim your motor made 300k because you broke it in the way someone said you should. That motor might (matter of fact probably) would have made 300k if you drove it off the lot and treated it like your old car.

Boolit Master
    I suppose it could have been just luck with those two Remingtons. A polished bore will resist fouling and clean up easier. Hope your new rifle is a shooter Lloyd.

Boolit Grand Master

What was just said is so true. One gun is not necessarily the same as the one produced before or after. During the Second World War, guns were test fired for accuracy and there were always some that were more accurate than others. They were reserved for snipers and maybe designated marksmen.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd, what is 7mm mag selling for these days? $60 bucks a box? You must be set up to reload it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/7mm-reming...m/br?cid=22162

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Lloyd, what is 7mm mag selling for these days? $60 bucks a box? You must be set up to reload it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/7mm-reming...m/br?cid=22162
    I havent bought factory rifle ammo in probably 30 years. Ive had 3 other 7mags i the past so had dies and had some bullets and brass and found more on here. Dont have a clue what 7mag ammo cost at the store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast