Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did I Just Get Scammed? Pewter Ingots.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    ^^^^this^^^^
    You can still return both items under a false ad listing because both items were not pewter and listed as so. If you buy something off eBay it’s damaged or a misrepresented listing eBay has a buyer money back guarantee buyer protection policy whether it’s listed as no returns or not. File a return with eBay and it will get refunded. Just put in the comments item was falsely listed as pewter and it’s not.

The Salvation Army, good will, and local thrift stores have pewter here every week. Some to way to high priced and some cheap. Look under the pewter picture posts on the forum and start shopping locally.

Boolit Bub
    Hello Guys,
    Thanks for your input. I have left a bad review and will ask help from Ebay to resolve. From the reviews, a lot of other buyers have been buying these without knowing their real composition. I'm very certain pure lead was added to these ingots.

I sent a msg to the seller 48 hrs ago, but no response yet. Ebay requires 72 hrs before asking for their assistance. If I don't get a resolution, I shall go to my cc company.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Freeman View Post
    Hello Guys,
    Thanks for your input. I have left a bad review and will ask help from Ebay to resolve. From the reviews, a lot of other buyers have been buying these without knowing their real composition. I'm very certain pure lead was added to these ingots.

I sent a msg to the seller 48 hrs ago, but no response yet. Ebay requires 72 hrs before asking for their assistance. If I don't get a resolution, I shall go to my cc company.
    I think you are at the point where you pretty much need to get them xrf tested. I have had situations buying on eBay where I thought I got ripped off only to discover later that the seller was being honest and it was I who made the mistake.
    I have also been ripped off on eBay. I raised holy heck with the seller the system and ALWAYS got my money back. Invariably they were kicked off eBay. Oddly one of my worst blunders in getting ripped off was here on CB.

Boolit Buddy
    So you're not sure what you have but you left a bad review.Why didn't you wait the 72 hrs for a response.Sometimes the sellers don't answer as fast as we would like.I'm not a big ebay buyer anymore I was years ago when prices were better.I've had a few issues most were resolved by the seller a good seller doesn't want bad ratings.Did you look at how many sale he had and his ratings before you bought.Giving him a bad rating before you know for sure what you have or letting him contact you wasn't right and no I don't sell in ebay

Boolit Grand Master
    caveat emptor

Hello Guys,

eBay has a money back guarantee whether the seller doesn’t accept returns or not if the item was misrepresented, damaged, or fraudulent. eBay will refund you, you just have to be patient and it probably will take 10 days because you’ll have to go into “eBay escalation” after the seller doesn’t return your money. Then after another day or two eBay refunds you. Takes a good 10 days to two weeks but you’ll get your money back. Just make sure not to buy pewter unless it’s in your hands to inspect first next time. My guess is the seller sold you pure, or close to pure, lead.

Boolit Master
    Have had decent luck with my few Ebay purchases but have also noticed many of the sellers are not very familiar with what they sell. Some may be knowledgeable about shooting related items but many are not and unknowingly misrepresent items. It pays to examine the photos carefully.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    caveat emptor
    So very true on Ebay.
    I buy plenty of items on ebay. I always research the seller and their feedback. If there is anything about the photos or descriptions that make me feel skeptical, I ask questions. If I get any bad vibes from their answers, then I DO NOT buy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I bought some chokes for 12ga. 1100 on ebay. Great price. Closeup showed the right gauge and still in the factory sealed blister pack. I got them only to find that they were 20ga. Package did read 12!!! No response from the seller. Contacted ebay and they stepped in. Waited a week for the seller to respond and when he didn't, ebay refunded my money electronically. Didn't even want the 20ga. chokes. My buddies girlfriend needed a set for 1100 to go dove hunting. Or duck. Can't remember. The next set I bought had closeup pics of the individual chokes.

Boolit Buddy

Sorry to hear you got burned. I got burned on eBay once. It was a small part for an old Stanley plane. Coincidentally, it was the last time I bought anything from eBay. Consider it a $15 dollar lesson.

Life is too short for eBay.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TimD View Post
    Sorry to hear you got burned. I got burned on eBay once. It was a small part for an old Stanley plane. Coincidentally, it was the last time I bought anything from eBay. Consider it a $15 dollar lesson.

Life is too short for eBay.
    I have two shelves full of ebay Stanley planes. 3 of which were a learning experience for me on what to look for on the ebay.

Boolit Master
    " Let the Buyer Beware"
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Bub

I like to buy marked stuff, seems to be everywhere, just have to find the right price.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewter mark.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	279894
    Stay away from Wilton, Google Pewter and read up on it and hunt some down.
    I got 9 1/2# from one thrift shop for $20 was a coffee service set missing the creamer lid, all went in the pot but the platter so far.

Boolit Master
    Hello Folks,

Got scammed once on Ebay already. Spent $15 for a pewter mug that turned out to be fake (Wilton).

Description:
    5 + lbs. Pewter Ingot Bar BULLION

This listing is for 5 Pewter Ingot Bar, totaling 5 + lbs.

See my other auctions for larger volume orders and discounts.

Each Pewter Ingot Bar weights slightly over one pound ( 1.05 to 1.25 lbs. ).
    Total sold in this listing is in increments of 5 basr / 5 + lbs.

FREE SHIPPING to USA / Canada.

These are very CLEAN and great for casting, jewelry making, tableware, figurines, medals, badges, pins, etc.

Very shiny and smooth, pours nicely when melted.
    Each bar is stamped "1 LB. PEWTER."
    These are high quality and Non-Toxic.

SHIPPING:

USA / Canada is FREE SHIPPING.

These are sent out priority mail.

International Buyers Welcome, shipping fee varies by destination.
    Thank you!

I received them today. They are soft and easily marked by my finger nail. When banging on my anvil, they dent easily though my melted COWW are still a little softer than these. Also, when rubbing with my fingers, I get a dark residue on my fingers just like pure lead.

I have some genuine unmelted pewter kitchenware that would not dent with fingernail pressure.

I just have a gut feeling that these "pewter" ingots may have lead mixed in. But how can I even tell?

I have sent a msg to the vendor.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
    Have you checked what RotoMetals wants for 1lb ingots of pewter? If the stuff you bought is pewter, you got a good deal, as RotoMetals was selling 1lb ingots of pewter for $22.99 each the first time I looked at this thread. Just looked again, still the same price at RotoMetals. If you buy a 1lb roll of Forney's 95/5 tin/antimony solder, it's $36 at Home Depot per their website. It's pretty soft, too. A little more tin, and a little less antimony than the RotoMetal Pewters.

Not to mention that "Real" Pewter, the stuff they've been making pewter dishes, cups, and such out of for centuries, always had lead in it. If you want a specific alloy, you need to source it by the percentage composition. "Pewter" is like asking for Pot Metal when you're doing non-boolit metal casting. Pot metal is whatever was in the pot as the time they made the pour, and when they fill the furnace back up there's no telling what's going in the pot next.

I had old pints which are Sn/Sb/Pb mix. But over 95% Sn it crackles when you bent or crush it. Pints has marked something at bottom also. Like picture above
    Same as 99,9% Sn bars. When I use pliers or chisel and hammer to make it smaller pieces still those smaller pieces crackles when bent or crush. Thats good way to know you have at least + 95% Sn

of couse you can bent or crush anything on evilbay before buying...

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    I have two shelves full of ebay Stanley planes. 3 of which were a learning experience for me on what to look for on the ebay.
    I needed a cap iron for a No 40. The bottom of the cap iron sent was snapped clean off. Couldn't tell from the pictures. Went back and forth, finally decided it wasn't worth the bother and found a replacement elsewhere.

I hit the thrift stores when I passed them the last couple of days. I found this one pound three ounce pewter stamped mug for $3.99

I also found a little pewter flower vase I picked up for a $1.99 that was maybe a third of a pound if I’m lucky. If I see pewter and it’s under $2.99 I normally grab it.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys for the input. The seller has been very accommodating and we have worked out a resolution. He seems to be an honest guy and told he would test those ingots when he gets them back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12