Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I Just Get Scammed? Pewter Ingots.

Boolit Bub

Angry Did I Just Get Scammed? Pewter Ingots.

Hello Folks,

Got scammed once on Ebay already. Spent $15 for a pewter mug that turned out to be fake (Wilton).

Description:
    5 + lbs. Pewter Ingot Bar BULLION

This listing is for 5 Pewter Ingot Bar, totaling 5 + lbs.

See my other auctions for larger volume orders and discounts.

Each Pewter Ingot Bar weights slightly over one pound ( 1.05 to 1.25 lbs. ).
    Total sold in this listing is in increments of 5 basr / 5 + lbs.

FREE SHIPPING to USA / Canada.

These are very CLEAN and great for casting, jewelry making, tableware, figurines, medals, badges, pins, etc.

Very shiny and smooth, pours nicely when melted.
    Each bar is stamped "1 LB. PEWTER."
    These are high quality and Non-Toxic.

SHIPPING:

USA / Canada is FREE SHIPPING.

These are sent out priority mail.

International Buyers Welcome, shipping fee varies by destination.
    Thank you!

I received them today. They are soft and easily marked by my finger nail. When banging on my anvil, they dent easily though my melted COWW are still a little softer than these. Also, when rubbing with my fingers, I get a dark residue on my fingers just like pure lead.

I have some genuine unmelted pewter kitchenware that would not dent with fingernail pressure.

I just have a gut feeling that these "pewter" ingots may have lead mixed in. But how can I even tell?

I have sent a msg to the vendor.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 03-17-2021 at 08:08 PM. Reason: No Ebay links Please!

Boolit Master
    Modern food service pewter is lead free, but other versions can contain lead, and old pewter (the kind that's collectible) commonly did. Modern pewter is usually 90%+ tin, the balance being antimony and/or copper and the specific formulation makes the hardness vary some. My impression is the lead containing non food service versions have less tin, and are softer.

If it's lead containing pewter that will be used in casting alloy, then what you really want to know is what percentage of tin you have; the lead in the pewter will just be a smidgeon more in the over all scheme of things. That'll take an analysis if you want a specific number. Others will do the seat of the pants thing and just add small amounts until the melt casts well.

If you just want to know if there's any lead in the ingots you can get a lead testing kit at most hardware stores that'll give you a yes or no rather than a quantitative result.

ETA: a lot of sellers think Wilton's Pewterex is real pewter. That goes for a big local estate liquidator who should know better.
    Last edited by kevin c; 03-17-2021 at 05:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    See if local scrap yard has a X-ray gun and will give one of the ingots a quick analysis for you. Will give you a good answer.

If not available local, BNE on this forum will do it for the price of some material. Reach out to him for details if needed.

Banned

Why are you buying pewter sight unseen? Go to thrift stores, it shows up all the time and it's real easy to tell if it's actually pewter or not. Even if that mug had been real pewter, it would have had to be real heavy to have justified $15.

I have an awful lot of pewter stuff I haven't gotten around to melting down yet. Haven't done much lately, but I like to peruse thrift stores and you can often find pieces of it dirt cheap.

Boolit Master
    If you send me a 1 pound ingot representative of the alloy you're concerned about, I will XRF test it for you. I keep the ingot, and you get XRF reports. I will do a surface test and a test on the cross-section after cutting it in half to make sure migration and contamination are accounted for. Hit me up via PM if you are interested.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Are you paying with paypal? If so you can get your $$$$ back.

Boolit Buddy
    You have to be a smart shopper on EBAY. Never even consider buying from anyone with a low number of previous sales...his is 30 ,I won't touch anything less than 100. Also his complaint percentage is high...30 sales and 3 complaints...that's 10% of his sold items weren't any good. They may prove to be okay but they are only a deal if they are legit. Why take a chance, go to a local thrift store. It's time for spring cleaning and people will be donating things to the thrift stores and you might be able to bring home a nice stash.

Boolit Master
    Ebay is the last place I'd buy anything like that. Find a Reputable Source. Whatever it cost per pound from Rotometals, subtract $15 from the total cost of your order; That's how much you would have saved if you hadn't gone to eBay.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I got burned at the thrift store before I knew what I was doing, if I can't deform it with my fingers I probably aint gonna mess with it. it should be soft. I find it amazing scammers would be selling tin, usually its gold and silver that scammers try to cash in on-- yeah, buy this big 5 microgram hard struck solid gold coin.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    When I melt pewter into ignots and tap on them they make a loud tinging sound like they are make of steel! The ignots look like lightly speckled aluminum colored. When melted into ignots I can’t mark them with my fingernail... Before melt, yes. I d return both with the eBay money back guarantee. Wilton does not make real pewter.

Boolit Master
    OP, please add location to your profile, if you’re close I’m happy to lend a hand.

It seems that you’re just starting out, if that’s the case shoot me a PM with your address and I’ll help you with a little pewter.

And stay away from ebay!
    Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve sometimes been unhappy with eBay purchases. Usually the item turns out to be a lot smaller than I thought it was. I bought some tin from an internet site with all sorts of things for sale by different sellers. It turned out to be a good deal. I have a bunch of items to be melted down from flea markets, but depending on where you are, there may not be any for sale in thrift shops. At least according to other posts I’ve seen in the past. If you are just starting out, you can always buy some from Roto Metals. That way you know for sure what you have. You normally don’t need to add that much, so it shouldn’t be too expensive.

Boolit Master

Yeah ya did.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Those ingots don’t look anything like what I cast. Over 600 pounds sold here without complaint a few years back. I’m fairly certain of what I had...

Last edited by imashooter2; 03-17-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Pewter??????????

From Ebay???????????????

From an unknown source?????????????

With no XFR gun analysis furnished????????????????

"I don't think so Tim".

Don't buy pewter from ebay unless it is still in the food utensil original form and is stamped CLEARLY "pewter".

And never in ingots, unless on here from someone we know and trust.

Sorry you got stung.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Having been burned a couple of times, I try to be very cautious on eBay.

Just looking at the seller's name would be enough for me to not buy from him.

What kind of person would do business under the name: "merchantsofobscenity" ??

Banned
    Returns:
    Seller does not accept returns

I would avoid this seller + his rating in only 90%

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Returns:
    Seller does not accept returns

I would avoid this seller + his rating in only 90%
    ^^^^this^^^^
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    There is no Santa Claus, or Tooth fairy, but there is always the possibility of getting burned on eBay.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you’re not happy with the purchase, be sure to give the seller a bad review to help others in the future. Don’t just forget about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast