Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pressure

Boolit Buddy

Pressure

Didn't know where to post this, but here's my question. I know if you use military brass to form another case, you need to account for reduced volume of the military brass. The reduced volume produces higher pressure but does it produce higher velocity as well? In other words, can I reduce the amount of powder and maintain velocity using military brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe. Not all military brass has lower volume; and if you are converting to anther cartridge anyway, all bets are off.

In theory with everything else equal, higher pressure should give higher velocity. I think in small arms ammo it will be very difficult to tell.

Be safe,

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Rule of thumb is 308 and 30/06 have less volume than commercial. With 5.56 that not true.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223 556.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	279725

I have no way to accurately check pressure but I do have a chronograph. When using GI cases in the 308 or 30/06 I load to the same velocity are as my commercial brass. This is accomplished with slightly lighter charges. Doing this case life is equal so pressures are not much different. These loads are used for longer range competition and loaded to the point that loose primer pockets become an issue at about 10 loadings.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer