Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Canned venison recipes anyone?

Boolit Mold

Canned venison recipes anyone?

I am thinking about trying to can some venison this summer from some deer procured from some buddies with crop depredation permits. I would like to know what y’all do as far as seasoning and preparing all the way to sealing the jars.....a to z if you will.

We have used vegetarian "beef" broth powder in the past. These days we just cube the meat put it in jars and pressure can it. At the Thumbcocker compound we can ingredients more than complete meals.

Need a quick lunch? Crack open a jar of venison, heat it up, add barbecue sauce. Lunch. A jar of beans and some pickles you are set. Also a pint of venison make great sloppy Joe's or "hamburger " helper.

Jar of venison, bag of frozen mixed veggies, one envelope of onion soup mix, and a can of V8 juice. Into the crockpot great soup. (I like to add barley).

Jar of venison, jar of mushroom gravy, small can of mushrooms heat up and serve over rice, noodles, or bread. Life is good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    When I can venison, I do the the raw pack method. Cubed fresh venison, leaving 1" headspace and half tsp salt. No liquid, it makes it own.

Boolit Master
    Casting fool is dead on, the same thing I do. If you add spices, they can get stronger, the longer it is canned. We can potatoes and a chunk of backstrap in a quart jar and it is a meal ready when you heat it up.

Moderator Emeritus

Pour in pot, heat, thicken with corn starch slurry, pour over mashed or baked potato. I use instant mashed a lot for a quick meal.

Banned

I do it like this. For a pint a half a beef bullion cube a half an union sliced a half a teaspoon of salt in the jar then fill the rest with water up till about 3/4s of an inch from the top. For a quart a whole bullion cube a whole onion a tea spoon of salt. I cook pints for an hour and quarts for an hour and 15 minutes at 10psi. I do pork the same way but instead of bullion cubes i add a bit of barbeque Sause and a dash of cider vinegar and some crushed garlic. Makes easy quick pulled pork meals.

Moderator Emeritus

I cube it, brown it and add salt and a garlic clove in pints. Process it like the Blue Book says to.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

same here as the above posts.

raw pack cubed venison with some canning salt.
    pressure can as directed.

pop a jar open and season further as desired.

ALSO:

i oven roast the front shoulders whole along with rear shanks. (so front shoulders and ALL shanks)
    when the meat falls off the bone, pack in pints with the strained broth.
    pressure can as directed.

pulled venison on the shelf.

we enjoy both the raw pack cubed and cook packed 'pulled'.

daughter simple grabs a jar and a fork.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Bub
    Same as above I raw pack with a little salt. I have to hide it because if my daughters come over they want to steal it and take it back home with them. They grew up on it and know how good it is.

Boolit Master

I'm with Ruger1980. Raw pack with salt. I do add hot water also. I find the upper exposed meat can get discolored and weird if not submerged in the jar to long. I can 90% of the deer I shoot. Mashed taters, biscuits, and a jar. Quick easy dinner.

Boolit Buddy
    We make 3 types of canned venison, first we make a Bambi stew... Attachment 280762

We take red potatoes onions frozen corn garlic, jalapeños, and venison mixed with beef stew mix. Can for 90min... this stuff is GREAT!!!!

Second is just straight canned venison Attachment 280763

Venison with beef bullion and garlic( we like garlic)

Third we use a quart and a half wide mouth jar and make a meat loaf and pack it in the jars and pressure cook it, it just slides out of the jar, throw in the oven and glaze with ketchup and BBQ sauce with some crushed red chili flakes and garlic of course and it is delicious

Moderator Emeritus

Remember that you can always add spices later but they are tough to remove. Canning is not a great place to experiment.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Growing up, we canned chili.

Banned

i allways have canned chilli on the shelf. When i make it i make a BIG batch and can at least 7 quarts of it. Anohter thing i started to do a couple years ago when this shortage crap raised it ugly head is canning hamburger. I canned about a 150 lbs. One lb fits just right in a pint jar. It works good for sloppy joes or spegetti sause ect and is a good way to store burger without taking up all the space in the freezers

Moderator Emeritus

Canned ground meat is good for any casserole(hotdish! I am in MN LOL ), I use it in tator tot hotdish when I have it on the shelf.

When canning meat or fish always pressure cook the jars - for a long time. The University Of Alaska Extension Service has a lot of good, tested recipes. For instance they say pressure your jars at 15 PSI for ninety minutes to eliminate botulism. They have a lot more and it's mostly free: http://cespubs.uaf.edu/publications/...h%20and%20Home...

Be careful out there. Cold packing meat and fish - without pressure - has caused a lot of illness and some deaths.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Pour in pot, heat, thicken with corn starch slurry, pour over mashed or baked potato. I use instant mashed a lot for a quick meal.
    Raw pack and pressure can, been doing it like this for many years, heat, thicken with corn starch then pour over whatever turns your crank, toast, potato's, all by itself, after it thickens season as needed.