RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going to happen

Boolit Grand Master

What's going to happen

Seems new shooters are buying up reloading tools and components.
    I'm sure most of them have no idea what their doing.
    "I see them doing it on utube. If they can do it, I can"
    Idiot generation is like that with everything these days.
    But what is going to happen, when they find out different????
    It's just not as easy as on utube.
    This idiot generation just tends the throw stuff away "because I can't use it".
    I'm seeing many, many, good usable tools and equipment just being thrown away.
    Followed closely by firearms, that no longer function, because they have never been cleaned.
    The idiot generation is going to be the downfall of this country.

Some of them will become avid shooters. Some will become competent reloaders. A bunch will never set up the press. Others will try it a bit and let it collect dust. And they will continue buying at any price.

With the new round of free money dropping into checking accounts while the left is trying to pass new anti-2A laws, we should expect continued high demand and high prices for all of this stuff.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    new shooters buying up supplies?? Seems like many here are still buying supplies in this environment.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Live and learn, all I can say. Some will learn, some won't. The younger generation is just like us. They will figure it out, after all while. Don't underestimate them
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I have NO opinion!

Idk I was basically one of those guys who went about it learning from youtube. If your half way competent it's not very hard at all to reload rounds to most people's specs.watched a basic video after getting my Lee anniversary kit and within a box of bullets I was getting ammo what was more accurate than factory. And I'm not a very bright guy so somone who's willing to actually learn will do very well for themselves. You have very good youtube videos that cover the gambit from beginner ,to intermediate to precision long range and FClass. Reloading just isn't as hard as eveyone makes it out to be imo (well depending on what your doing ).
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

The numbers are larger now days,
    but the ratio of how many use their gear a little, a lot, or never will probably be about the same as its always been.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the reloading supplies are going more to regular shooters that want to secure a more steady ammo supply for themselves rather than the new shooters that have just bought guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Idk I was basically one of those guys who went about it learning from youtube. If your half way competent it's not very hard at all to reload rounds to most people's specs.watched a basic video after getting my Lee anniversary kit and within a box of bullets I was getting ammo what was more accurate than factory. And I'm not a very bright guy so somone who's willing to actually learn will do very well for themselves. You have very good youtube videos that cover the gambit from beginner ,to intermediate to precision long range and FClass. Reloading just isn't as hard as eveyone makes it out to be imo (well depending on what your doing ).
    You sir are no regular newbie! You are way above the average and you also make your exploits entertaining!

The dolts the OP is referring to would make you and I duck for cover in a heart beat!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    I was told many years ago that somethings are (idiot proof). Sadly they are building better idiots. Some of the current contestants, could break a anvil with a tooth brush

Boolit Master

What's going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    I will second an earlier post. You sir are a good example of how social media can help improve out sport/hobby. I haven’t watched a ton of your videos but the ones I have watched have been good and I have enjoyed.

Probably being part of the youtube generation myself I can say that youtube learning is not the best education but it’s better than the earlier version of “I don’t need to read, I can wing it” which has always (and continues) to be around.

Personally, my dad had me working on his Dillon 550 since I was 5 years old. When I got back into shooting and than reloading I got my own 650. I read everything before starting to produce ammo again just as a refresher. Some will be like that.

Some will learn from you tube and other social media platforms. When I was learning to cast after inheriting my grandpas casting gear and lead I stumbled upon a German fellow (weiderlader.tv) who had good videos on YouTube and learned some from him. Biggest thing I learned about was this forum where I have learned a lot and become a decent caster. You’d be surprised what someone can do with all the resources out there today and youtube can start it.

All this to say I think we may have an opportunity to grow our hobby using these platforms. I commend Wolfdog and anyone else on there on helping new shooters/reloaders/casters learn. The more content available that’s easy to digest and accurate the more people helping our cause in the long run. If we as a community support these fellows and help them correct mistakes via comments to the video we help others improve.

Boolit Master
    Don't forget the tiktok challenges that will eliminate quite a few of them. I agree with Wolfdog91. I had watched Dad do it, but I couldn't get that method and rhythm down. Bought me a Lee Classic Loader kit (whack-a-mole); watched some youtube videos; and found my method and rhythm. I even got to making the mythological cloverleaf patterns on targets with my loads on a regular basis, which I had rarely managed with factory loads. Eventually cancer came along and I don't do any method anymore, but it was fun while it lasted.

What's going to happen? Nothing. Some will, some won't, and the world will keep on turning.

God Bless.

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Seems new shooters are buying up reloading tools and components.
    I'm sure most of them have no idea what their doing.
    "I see them doing it on utube. If they can do it, I can"
    Idiot generation is like that with everything these days.
    But what is going to happen, when they find out different????
    It's just not as easy as on utube.
    This idiot generation just tends the throw stuff away "because I can't use it".
    I'm seeing many, many, good usable tools and equipment just being thrown away.
    Followed closely by firearms, that no longer function, because they have never been cleaned.
    The idiot generation is going to be the downfall of this country.
    There's nothing you can do about an idiot, no matter what their hobbies are. There's also not much you can do about new shooters and reloaders except treat them with respect and try to help them out. You know, sort like you'd wish to be treated when you try something new.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

We might see great deals on slightly used reloading equipment in the future.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    This has actually been the case all along. Amazing how many jump into only to quickly learn it isn't for them. When I look around at gun shows, I'm amazed at the number of barely used presses and dies that seem to show up.

Not so much right now, though. Went to one in Wichita a couple of weeks ago that usually had a lot of that kind of stuff, none there this time.

There's always been people who didn't want to take the time to learn properly. I was lucky in that I grew up around it and when I was learning on my own, Dad was just a phone call away. There are some now with this scare that seem to think you just have to buy a bunch of stuff and ammo magically appears with no thought about powder, primers, etc., but there have always been idiots, nothing new here.

Boolit Grand Master

Most buying their first set up have a very basic idea and depend on reputable LGS or mentors to start them out. Mentors can be a family member club member gun store salesman.
    or you tube video. Mine was a local shop owner that took me under his wing.
    These new shooters will start out just ;ike we did and grow with it. Some will become fully involved and competent, other will become adequate ad load as needed. others will walk away.
    Which ever way it goes new people are being introduced into the different disciplines and thats never a bad thing.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    well it will happen when we have a change of presidents.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not need anymore reloading stuff so will miss out on the deals that will be around in a year or so. I am blessed to have my own range and do not need to worry about the idiots who may have a few "oopsies".

A few reloaders did not want to waste time reloading 9mm when it was around $10/box, and if things get to normal that will happen again. Most new reloaders are not casters ,and want to shoot jacketed bullets. It makes little sense to pay $100/1000 for bullets, $40/1000 for primers and $20 for enough powder to load 1000 rounds; when you can buy ammo for $200-225/case.

The question will be what Congress does wrt ammunition sales and taxes. I expect that will be answered in the next few months.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I can only speak for myself I sure would not want to have to rely on going to public shooting ranges with all these noobies that think they know it all from watching youtube.
    as far as throw away, my first belding and mull powder measure came to me many years ago because someone else was going to throw it away, go figure?
    as far as $10/box ammo, I never had use for ball or match ammo. if I'm going to shoot or put ammo together its going to be fully lethal hunting capable ammo, even before I started casting for just about everything I shoot I'd much rather practice with gold dots and game kings than full metal jacket and hollow point match bullets.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    OP – I’m “old” and I really do understand your frustration on this – but you need to take a step back, get a cup of coffee and take a deep breath – there are some things that you just don’t have any control over and the “everyone is a winner and gets a prize” and “it’s not my fault” younger generation will have to learn things the hard way – just like we all did. My wife taught school for well over 30 years and for over 30 years, I put on historical programs at schools – and we both saw the decline and downfall of public school education – and most of these young’uns are a product of that. BUT . . not ALL of them. There are many who were brought up by good folks who taught them responsibility, how to work, the difference between right and wrong, etc. – so we shouldn’t judge them all based on some. I have known many from other generations who were just as looney and they didn’t have all the social media, on-line videos and Youtube, where any idiot can be a “star” and show just how “stupid” they are.

As far as being the “throw away” generation – they can’t help that as it’s all they have known. Many of us older ones grew up in families where our parents went through the Great Depression. I was a part of a “second family” – my Dad was married with my half-brother during the Depression and it wasn’t easy. My mother and her brother were brought up by my grandmother – she was divorced – during the Depression my Grandmother did her best but my mother was mal-nourished – had one skirt and two blouses that my Grandmother sewed for her from left over material from her work as a seamstress. We heard about the Depression every day that we were brought up – this current younger generation didn’t have that “education”.

There are a good number of the generation you are talking about who are good kids – they want to learn how to shoot and reload and if they are fortunate, they will have a mentor who is older to help them. I have helped several out – given them equipment to get started – showed them how to do it and they are very appreciative for everything. Yea . . . there is a shortage of things and even more so because of new gun buyers, etc. – but I’m guessing the percentage of those who buy the reloading things and don’t use them isn’t going to be that much higher than in other times when “older” folks have done the same things. You can’t fix stupid and there will always be those who put up a Youtube video or similar – and it’s pretty obvious that they greatly lack common sense or did they have parents who taught them the important things in life – and they sure weren’t going to get those things in school.

We all get frustrated over such things – that’s human nature. A few years ago, I felt the same way – like there wasn’t much hope for the future with the way the “younger generation” was. One day, a friend of mine who is retired Air Force, invited me to go up to the base with him in Tucson as he wanted to get a haircut. I went, and while he was getting his hair cut, I sat in the coffee shop in the base store and had a cup of coffee and just “people watched”. As I sat there, I saw so many fine young men and woman in their BDUs coming and going – many with their spouses and children. I saw them sitting in groups in the coffee shop studying manuals and books – obviously study groups headed up by a higher ranking enlisted man or woman. Long story short . . . . . I got a lump in my throat and even a tear in my eye as I watched them, some would speak and say “hi” to me as they walked by . . . and it restored my faith in the fact that there are so many fine young men and women of the generation that we so often complain about. They have their act together and know what is important in life and they have taken on the role of responsible adults. These fine individuals will be the ones that us old folks will depend on to help get this country straightened out and put a stop to what is going on by those who are nothing but the greedy, self-serving, instant gratification, “I didn’t do it” younger generation that for the most part, has been brain washed not only in public schools and our colleges and universities by those who couldn’t “cut it” in the real world even if they wanted to. But just remember that for every one of those “idiots” . . there are so many of the same generation who have been raised right, taught to be responsible, work hard, have good moral and work ethics and we need to recognize those things as well.

We, as individuals, learn "by example" . . . we did and the younger generations do as well. Unfortunately . . there are very few . . . especially in politics and leadership roles currently . . . that are "good examples" . . . and it is up to all of us to get these people out of office and get this country turned around from the crash course it is now headed for thanks to the "idiots" that want to destroy this country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast