WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Deep Fried Hotdogs a Thing?

Best dogs I've ever had were wrapped in bacon tooth picked to hold the bacon on and then deep fried . Two best things in the world meat in a tube and bacon all in one
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

To me deep fried means submerged in oil like doughnuts or a deep fried turkey. This sounds like just fried in come bacon grease. My mom always fried hot dogs, never boiled them.

Boolit Master
    Covered in sauerkraut and mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I'm keto and my doctor is onboard with it. The more saturated fat, the better. God bless Finney and Volek for their work on low-carb science, I can have a prime steak covered in melted butter and a salad with bleu cheese dressing and call it health food.

Hotdogs are still in the junk-foody area because they're a bit more processed than is ideal, but they still fit in the "eat this to lose weight" category. In fact, a hotdog paired with a jalapeno slice and some cheese then wrapped in bacon and deep fried in lard is also diet food!
    You"re talking my language now!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    To me deep fried means submerged in oil like doughnuts or a deep fried turkey. This sounds like just fried in come bacon grease. My mom always fried hot dogs, never boiled them.

The ones I had were thrown in to a basket and deep fried, not pan fried.

I'm 65 and have NEVER heard of a fried hotdog until right now! Fascinating.....now I want one!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I'm 65 and have NEVER heard of a fried hotdog until right now! Fascinating.....now I want one!
    Get the oil warming ASAP, you've been missing out for far too long.

Boolit Master
    So you're right, but I do my bacon in an unconventional way. I never worry about keeping it flat, and I always cook it in a high-sided stainless steel stockpot to keep the splashes (and subsequent cleanup) down. This particular day I had cooked two pounds of bacon at once, so the depth of the grease at the bottom was pretty substantial. I think technically it wasn't quite enough to be properly called "deep frying" if we're being picky, but in terms of the uniform rapid heat transfer and crisping effect I think the difference is largely academic.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Moderator Emeritus

Deep fried sausages period are tasty! Try a brat some time! The place that started it was featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. I fry mine until black and split open, the ripper as they call it! I use good natural casing all beef coarse ground hotdogs. Started making my own because I couldn't get the ones I grew up eating.

Boolit Buddy
    Bacon wrapped corndogs at the state fair. Good eating.

Moderator Emeritus

Pronto Pups !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Oh wow! Doesn't this thread sound good; I'm salivating. I never had a deep fried hot dog but I'm going to do my part to reduce the hotdog and bacon population by air frying a few, eventually. I can't have a bun though, bummer! It'll be put into the queue after lamb and beef ribeye steaks. (they're already thawed) Only one way to make it better, fry the bun in bacon fat, not a lot just enough to use it like butter.

So many foods to try and just not enough meals in the day. (Especially on keto, I just don't get hungry but I absolutely do enjoy eating!)

Daekar, I'm with you and so are my Drs. . The research (one so called "study") that showed fats to be the culprit in heart disease was purely fraudulent but everyone remembers it because of the media and it's still referred to today. No study done since has ever gotten the same results, they've gotten just the opposite in fact. The consumption of fat drives the LDL down and not up. My Drs love my lab test numbers. Fat isn't the culprit, carbs are. Hence, I'm on keto and loving it. But carbs are as difficult to come off of as a hard drug habit (proven in tests on rats BTW).

Boolit Grand Master

My wife for a quick hot dog would stick it on a 2 pronged fork and hold it over the light burner on the gas stove.

I prefer the skin on hot dogs more than the other, But havent found any in awhile. I miss that "snap" when biting into it.

Banned

I know their is a diner in New Jersey that is famous for them!

Boolit Master
    The place you speak of is Johnny's great dogs. But there Others, Callahan's, Hiram's, Rutt's Hut in NJ. And some have no names[.QUOTE=Minerat;5145275]There's a place north of Washingtons crossing on the NJ side of the Delaware about 10 miles that serves fried hotdogs and home cut fries with a
    Chocolate malt that are great. Can't remember the name but you'll know it cause of the traffic jam on weekends going in.[/QUOTE]
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    they go for them in Germany too, when I was in West Berlin they had a thing called currywurst, much like a hot dog, or "wurst", deep fried, covered with some kind of powder and then sauce. very good, and popular there, I ate quite a few of them.
    Barry

Boolit Mold
    Woolworths lunch counter always deep fried the weiner and toasted the bun with a little butter on it on the grill. Yum!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok I'll try it .sounds great

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah it's a thing and this is the best version of it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    I like my hotdogs cooked over an open fire pretty well burnt put on a bun with mustard and sweet relish Yum Yum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast