Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrong top punch for 22 Bator

Boolit Master
    If one is having trouble with deformed noses on soft small diameter bullets, the Lee push through size die eliminates that issue. Threaded for the press it is a nose first push through and no nose configuration is necessary. Any of the various types of tumble lube, lightly applied makes life simple. I assume the new style sizer intended for the AP press will do as well. Perhaps someone using one at present can address this concern.

Boolit Master

To my "engineer's brain" in micro-mode, every axial force on an alloy of lead imparts a measurable deformity as the length of the boolit must change when its diameter is pushed through the die into a smaller uniform circle. The lead has to flow somewhere. Perhaps it is only into the lube groove(s) by sheer force along the boolit perimeter. Certainly, the boolit base is modified by the overpowering force of the press. Every external force leaves some impression on the final product (work hardening, diameter mod, length mod, groove mod, etc.), or we would not "uniform" them.

I am not inclined to purchase any more equipment (push through die). I have come to the point where the end does not justify the means (an equation in too many variables). That, and I have to QUIT trying to ladder shoot them toward jacketed bullet speeds (dooph!) - a mistake and waste of components with PC'd boolits not to be tried again. Eight (8) out of ten (10) failed to hit the target at 100 yards, assumed to be "lead dust" somewhere in the middle of the range, as verified by subsequently shooting several jacketed bullets, which hit the target as planned, and verified the rifle and scope were "on target".
    Last edited by Land Owner; 09-19-2021 at 04:32 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I think putting that little flat meplat on the nose of that bator bullet just increases the striking power of the bullet on target for hunting.
    It will also leave cleaner holes in a paper target by punching a hole rather than tearing the paper.
    IMHO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12