Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonights experiments with .32

Boolit Buddy

Tonights experiments with .32

So tonight I finally got around to loading a bunch of bullets I cast and coated last week. These are two of the three new bullets in a custom mold from Accurate Molds. One is a 105 grain SWC with a gas check. The other is a 100 grain wadcutter designed to be seated outside of the case mouth, as opposed to flush with it. They are loaded here in a .32 H&R Magnum, and two .32 S&W Long cases. I ended up with 50 rounds of each. I will be testing them soon for accuracy. The biggest problem with both of these calibers is the decided lack of availablity at the moment. And the relatively anemic loads offered in .32 S&W Long. While I did stay within the suggested maximum loads for these, I will not be posting the load data here, as there are too many weaker firearms still out there. Also, I know the color is weird. This was a mix of left over Eastwood Magenta and Hot Pink, as I wanted to know how they would turn out. The coating was good. The color, not so much.

Last edited by gun toting monkeyboy; 03-15-2021 at 12:59 PM.

They look good! What are you shooting them out of? I am a big fan of the 32 caliber revolvers.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    They do look good .
    Looking forward to hearing how they shoot and if you know the velocity they are running.

Boolit Buddy
    The velocity is likely only going to be a rough estimate based on the load data's published velocity calculated down to a percentage of my load versus theirs. My guess is that the .32 S&W Long loads will be in the neighborhood of 700-725 fps. The H&R loads should be up over 900 fps. I am starting of below the max loads because the difference between the starting loads and max loads with these is less than a grain. And I have had issues in the past with max loads causing sticky extraction in several of my guns. Especially the H&R.

The guns will be a couple of 1930s vintage S&W revolvers (one reason to keep the pressure down) a couple of H&R magnum revolvers (another reason to keep the mag pressure down) and a Charter Arms Undercoverette, which will generally eat whatever I feed it. The latter is also on my permit, which means that I am very likely the only idiot in the state to carry one as a CCW. On the other hand, I am a sucker for .32 revolvers. If I can pick up one of the California-legal Rugers in .32/.327 one of these days, I will be a happy camper.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting more information about the velocity range you are working in .
    I have been considering a gas check mold to use in in my 32s for 32 H&R and 327 cases . I have the Saeco 95gn RN and the Lee tl 90gn molds and would like to add a GC mold in 100 gn to 120 grain range. To use in a Ruger 41/2" single seven and 4" sp101. Looking forward to your range report.

Boolit Grand Master
    You may not need the GC at those velocities.
    Don Verna

Looking forward to a range report.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

That Accurate 105 gr GC'd bullet appears to be a replicant of the Lyman 313631 which was designed expressly for the 32 H&R magnum cartridge. I've done quite a bit of loading testing with that bullet in both the H&R Magnum cartridge and the 32 S&WL cartridge. I actually have 120 test rounds loaded now for pressure testing with Hornady 85 & 100 gr JHPs along with the 311316 Lyman bullet [basically a GC'd version of the 311118/311008 bullet]. There's a couple other 32 S&W and 32 S&WL threads running I've posted data on. One must indeed be selective in loads because of the inherent weakness of some of the older revolvers made for the 32s. However, in modern made revolvers the 32 S&WL and the 32 H&R magnum can give very respectable performance at reasonable pressure.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You may not need the GC at those velocities.
    My thoughts exactly.. especially depending upon the casting alloy used.

Boolit Grand Master

The diminutive 105 gr GC'd bullet comes into its own when cast soft [I prefer a 40-1 alloy] and pushed in modern I, J, K frame S&Ws or Rugers to higher, reasonable for the firearm to be used in, velocities. Such when HP'd with a 1/8" Forster HP tool makes for a 95 gr bullets and is surprisingly effective on smaller vermin given the 900+ fps velocity out of my 3' M31 S&W. I wouldn't, as a civilian, necessarily feel "under-gunned" with that for a PD load either.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, I definitely do not NEED gas checks at those velocities. I am simply experimenting because it is a new mold. I had one of the three cavities made to use gas checks in case I am able to track down a California-legal .327 revolver. Because even the .32 H&R Magnum guns I have are unlikely to get anything near the pressure and velocity that would make these essential. On the other hand, they do look nice, and maybe the gas check will give the bullet a bit more bearing surface or something...

Boolit Master

I love 327fedmag...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
    Oh, I definitely do not NEED gas checks at those velocities. I am simply experimenting because it is a new mold. I had one of the three cavities made to use gas checks in case I am able to track down a California-legal .327 revolver. Because even the .32 H&R Magnum guns I have are unlikely to get anything near the pressure and velocity that would make these essential. On the other hand, they do look nice, and maybe the gas check will give the bullet a bit more bearing surface or something...
    If your 32 H&Rs are are H&R solid frame revolvers made and chambered for the 32 H&R they certainly will do nicely with 'standard" H&R level loads. The Federal factory 95 gr LSWC load 32 H&R runs 18,200 psi in my test barrel and runs 1040 fps out of my 6 1/2" barreled Ruger Single Six. Out of a 4" S&W K frame that load ran 960 fps. The Federal factory 85 gr JHP ran 1075 fps out of the S&W.

SAAMI has not established a MAP for the 32 H&R cartridge. Lyman's CBH #3 has many good loads for the 313361 bullet which do not exceed the capabilities of the H&R revolvers. In my Ruger Single Six I consider 28 -29,000 psi to be the MAP for the H&R Magnum cartridge. Those 313361 magnum level loads run 1200 - 1300+ fps. I don't shoot a lot of that psi level loads though as I mostly shoot the Lee TL314-90-SWC over 3.2 gr Bullseye which run 1025 fps at 16,500 psi.

In the 32 S&WL the same 90 gr SWC Lee bullet seated to the 1st lube groove over 2.8 gr Bullseye in R-P 32 S&WL cases with CCI 500 primers runs close to the same psi and gives 835 fps out of my S&W M30 with 3" barrel.

I've no experience yet with the 327 magnum but with the handguns being operable at 45,000 psi the gas checked 313631 or the 311316 should really prove to be the cat's meow.......having experience with the 30 carbine with both bullets in a Ruger BH I definitely would want a 6 1/2" barrel minimum and very good ear muffs and plugs........
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

You gota love the 32's.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    I was given a batch of Lyman 313631 bullets from beagle, with a twist... he has had the mould altered to eliminate the GC. When I shot them in 32 S&W L cases loaded by mistake with 32 H&R strength charges of W 231, a practice I strongly discourage!! with no leading or other issues. I only relate this to confirm that the Gas Check is pretty much unnecessary at any velocity I’m likely to load it.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 03-15-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    The color isn't all that bad, a friend had a work truck painted ~30 years ago that came out just a few shades darker. The color was decided by the bodyman mixing all his leftover cans of enamel together to get enough to paint the truck, not sure you can do that now with the clear coat paints.

My only problem with loading the .32S&W Long to its potential is one of my I frames dates from when the 03 Springfield was still being chambered in .30-03, the other from 1909 IIRC. Don't want to push those.

My Ruger SSM's seem quite capable, and they are accurate. I wish I had wised up about .32 caliber revolvers when S&W was still making them for affordable prices.

Robert

Boolit Master

You could always load shorts for the oldie...

Boolit Buddy
    The problem with the old H&R revolvers is that while they are solid frame revolvers, and chambered for .32 H&R Magnum, most of the people that load good ammunition for it have warnings that their self defense loads are NOT to be used in them. Given that those warnings are coming from places like Buffalo Borr gives me pause, as they have a very good reputation for knowing what they are doing. I see no point in pushing them just for the sake of pushing them. I have the Charter Arms gun for that. Besides, these are hard cast bullets moving at a pretty good speed. They are unlikely to stop, whether they are moving at 800, 900, or 1000 fps. They are going to poke a .31 caliber hole through things. That is all I can reasonably expect. The barrel is around 2 inches.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
    The problem with the old H&R revolvers is that while they are solid frame revolvers, and chambered for .32 H&R Magnum, most of the people that load good ammunition for it have warnings that their self defense loads are NOT to be used in them. Given that those warnings are coming from places like Buffalo Borr gives me pause, as they have a very good reputation for knowing what they are doing. I see no point in pushing them just for the sake of pushing them. I have the Charter Arms gun for that. Besides, these are hard cast bullets moving at a pretty good speed. They are unlikely to stop, whether they are moving at 800, 900, or 1000 fps. They are going to poke a .31 caliber hole through things. That is all I can reasonably expect. The barrel is around 2 inches.
    I agree with you completely no need go for the highest velocity possible with WFN or wad cutters.

Boolit Buddy
    Good looking Wad cutter shape, like the old Lyman 354344 and 429348 shapes
    JW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast