RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the .300 BLK the Ultimate.....

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    All those molds came out long before there was a .300 blackout. The .30 cal is a great round in all things.

For the AR I'm not sure what the greatest is. While I have a .300 I'm sure there are better things depending on the job required.
    Well yes but what I'm saying is you can just use them don't have to get anything specific. Already have a .30 cal what ever for your .308 or 30-06 bolt gun, well just sling the same Boolits for that in a black out case
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I love my 300 BO. Great cast gun for sure.

Of course you should know better than to say something is the “ultimate” on this forum. We have a few opinions!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    #1, in the trunk because we travel a lot and you would be surprised at some of the gas stations I have had to get gas in, last year it’s outside of Wilson NC I got blocked in by some gangsters that showed me his “piece” (Bryco 9mm) so I popped my trunk and showed him mine... I also keep my 72hr kit in my trunk with my bullet proof backpack... I figure if I need to the wife and kids can hide their vitals...

#2, I carry 4 types of ammo for different situations.... a lot of times my family or friends want to shoot my 300 pistol when I get there so I keep some plinking ammo, but I keep a mag of Lehigh defense 200grn max expansions 1 mag of surplus steel core 7.62x54r projectiles that I sized down to .308. 1 mag of tracer rounds (it makes people think twice when they see tracers going over their heads) and one mag of AP rounds.... because you never know....

I’m not a crazy prepper or anything I just want to be able to protect my kids and my wife under any situation I need to, to get back to the car and get out of dodge
    I was meaning why in the trunk and not at your feet or other easily accessible area!! And I concur with the tracers!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've got a 16" rifle I put together, 10.5" Bear creek upper, and a Ruger American Ranch. It's got my vote....

I've never had much trouble getting it to run right, but I've pretty much started with and stuck with Shooter World Black Out for powder in the AR's. I've had good luck getting anything from 190 grain to 230 grain bullets to run subsonic. I was expecting more problems based upon what I had read online.

Loading for the bolt action Ruger is about as easy as loading for .38 Special.

Boolit Master

Wolfdog91 I would think you should be able to get almost any .30 cal mold to work up say 175-185 grain and then only because of length and getting them to run in an AR. Nose profile plays a big part as the OAL gets longer. For my guns I size .310 yoou may be okay with .309 depending on your barrel. If you have a AR already uppers are (were) fairly inexpensive. If you buy a complete gun you have the option of using other cal. uppers with it. If I sound like a fanboy, I am. Not one of my friends who have shot mine with subs and the can didn't just start giggling after the first shot. You hear the action cycle, the brass hit the concrete and the boolit smack the target. All very distinctly.

Boolit Grand Master

While tracers over the head may work that is going to be a hard one to justify in court.

https://gundigest.com/article/self-d...hots-good-idea

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/10/1047.7
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    I love my 300 BO. Great cast gun for sure.

Of course you should know better than to say something is the “ultimate” on this forum. We have a few opinions!
    Lol what can I say seems to be the best way to get people talking on these forums lol
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    While tracers over the head may work that is going to be a hard one to justify in court.

https://gundigest.com/article/self-d...hots-good-idea

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/10/1047.7

IF I have to use them I honestly won’t care what the court says...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I was meaning why in the trunk and not at your feet or other easily accessible area!! And I concur with the tracers!

I always carry a pistol beside me in the car... but I have had 2 bad experiences with getting gas. I always get gas and have my hand on the trunk pop button while I’m getting gas so I can get to my pistol in no more then 2 seconds

Boolit Master
    I always carry a pistol beside me in the car... but I have had 2 bad experiences with getting gas. I always get gas and have my hand on the trunk pop button while I’m getting gas so I can get to my pistol in no more then 2 seconds
    Atta boy

Boolit Master
    IF I have to use them I honestly won’t care what the court says...
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    The great thing is brass can be formed from 223 brass
    Exactly, I call it my garbage disposal. Got 556 brass with a boogered neck or shoulder? Make 300 blk brass out of it.

Pinch of powder and dab of lead. New primer and off to the races.

Lots of factors to consider in 'the ultimate' category but economy of brass (with right tools, made from free/cheap range brass) molds are plenty...mine eats almost every 30 Cal boolit I own. Capacity is same as 556, no special or proprietary parts, bolts or uppers- just a barrel swap.

Downrange energy for deer out to 150.

I think it's pretty awesome, some folks really balk at it....but especially today when ammo and firearms choice is in expensive or limited supply.... changing a barrel to change the game in medium game harvest is a no brainier.

300 blk makes some sense if you don't reload, but it makes all the sense if you do reload.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Banned

love the bo. Ive got 3 ars and a ruger american. With cast its a cheap shooter. Only thing cheaper is a 9mm ar. That said i only shoot super sonic and ive got a new ham'r that i think will replace the bos for deer hunting. I killed 6 deer with the bo using the 110 barnes and it did better then i expected but i still get nervous. The hamr has the same advantage with using 556 brass but has 200-300 fps more velocity which should step it up a class over the bo for actually killing and i still can shoot the same cheap cast bullets for plinking.

no 300BLK is not the ultimate cast AR caliber Actually, it's about the same as 30/30 for cast, no, not same fps. 110gr to 185gr, subs and supers from same gun and just a bit more powder & lead. I can push a 145gr cast to 2200 fps, don't need much more. I run a 170 gr FN in my AR pistol, cycles fine, 850 to 1500 fps. If you want a slower twist, order a slow twist barrel. 30Hamr cases are hard to make from 223, pretty much chambered for lighter bullets. If I need speed, 30/30 or 308W.
    Whatever!

Personally I think it is one of the neatest cartridges introduced in the past 50 years. Power between the .30 Carbine and 7.62x39, fits in the AR15 with just a barrel change. Mine is a 16" 1-7" twist carbine and I use full power 110gr to 150 gr jacketed bullets mostly, but it will eat most any .308" bullet.
    But I've not been satisfied with my cast bullet experience with it over weights between 113grs and 180grs. Perhaps I'll try again someday, but as it is a home defense weapon is is loaded with 110 Speer spitzers at max velocity. If I had a 1-10" or 1-12" bolt action .300BO, it would be used with cast a LOT.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    no 300BLK is not the ultimate cast AR caliber Actually, it's about the same as 30/30 for cast, no, not same fps. 110gr to 185gr, subs and supers from same gun and just a bit more powder & lead. I can push a 145gr cast to 2200 fps, don't need much more. I run a 170 gr FN in my AR pistol, cycles fine, 850 to 1500 fps. If you want a slower twist, order a slow twist barrel. 30Hamr cases are hard to make from 223, pretty much chambered for lighter bullets. If I need speed, 30/30 or 308W.
    hammer cases are no harder to make then BOs. Run the full length case though a 300 hamr die with a bit of lube on the neck and trim it. It is harder if you trim it first then try sizing it. I guess the way i do it is a bit more work because i run it through a 250 savage die first to expand the neck to 25 cal then go to the hamr die and form it to 30 cal. But ive done it just running it though the hamr die and might loose one case in 30. No big deal. 556 brass is cheap or free.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.....

Some of the Netflix documentaries make me wonder if this is truly the case anymore.

250 savage die first May work. You get into the shoulder/neck area with 223 modded cases.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Some of the Netflix documentaries make me wonder if this is truly the case anymore.
    A lot of truth in that statement!!! But hey, seeing your dad in prison for defending the family trumps laying flowers on your kids' headstones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    There are no ars chambered in 30/30 or 308w though.

In AR platform (not AR10/SR25) there are alot of options from 25 sharps, 6.5 grend., 45 socom and 50 beowulf...but 300 blk is the easiest for cast, ease of conversion.

Like you I don't need the speed of 30/30, 308w or 3006 for my deer hunting (close in) 300 blk gives me the edge of smaller rifle, semi auto for follow ups on hogs, and more than enough penetration for all my deer hunting needs

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John McCorkle; 03-15-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast