Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for others

Boolit Master

Reloading for others

Lately I have been asked by every TOM ,Dick and Harry if I would reload shells for them an of course they don't have any supplies . Is this happening to you guys also? I have learned to say no in a nice way.

Oh yeah.
    It's all from people that never read the kid's book you can still buy at the grocery store called "The Little Red Hen".

Legally, you're supposed to hold a Class VI FFL to do it.

Back when I held a couple of FFLs, people would want something shady, and do the "Ahh,,, come on" guilt trip.
    I'd tell them, "OK, first give me $10,000."
    Then,,,, I'd hear, "What for"?
    I'd tell them, "Well,,,,, that should just about cover the fine if I get caught".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Super Moderator

I've been saying no in a nice way since 1973.

Boolit Master
    Yes it has happened to me also, told a buddy of mine last year to buy primers and powder and not to worry about lead or brass since I have alot of 45 acp and 45 colt brass and more lead then I could use in 2 life spans.He aways picked up brass and returned it and dug up range lead to melt,but powder and primers are all mine for now!

I can't recall the last time I gave anyone a handload of mine. Nor, would I have sold them one. Even people you know are not your friends, suddenly want to be now.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing illegal about reloading for others providing you don't sell them. If they give you the components or you're giving reloads to friends or family no legal issues. I do it frequently.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I politely explain it is illegal for me to load for someone else, then that I cant work up a safe load for them with out their firearm. But what I can legally do without major risks in liability and legality is to allow them to use my equipment to load their own with them doing the set up, decisions and work. That this includes bringing their own components. So far over 40+years Ive had no takers of this offer. I have had quite a few that wanted help and or guidance learning to reload, but no takers on the other. Most want a bunch of inexpensive ammo but dont want to put the work into it.

From the ones I have dealt with I suspect they will expect you to use your cases primers powder and bullets not supplying anything, makes for really inexpensive ammo that way.

I have no idea what firearm they have, what shape it in, or expectations.

Here recently I spent several days researching loading 22 lr for a fellow club member. Gave him my findings and what it would take, and what I would change to test. The materials and heat treat came to around $300.00. Die set to lad ( resize, push dent out of rim and set to thickness, crimp. then swage die for heel based bullets from wire). His comment was I dont want to do it I want you to do it for me not only make the dies but load the ammo for him. He wanted me to load 22 lr ammo for him that would beat the upper end target ammo out there.

I wouldnt recommend getting involved in this venture ( except for a good friend) due to liability and chances are good what you do wont be good enough. Or he tells a bunch of friends and it snowballs way out of proportion.

Boolit Master

I have given friends and family reloads , and I am not the local supply chain , I may give you some depending on who the person is the reason or need , but do not make a habit of it .

Family has shot my reloads for hunting for a long time , and some get pistol ammo on occasion , if it is casual acquaintances then I tell them I will teach watch and assist as they load their own , but I am not donating my supplies to just anyone .

Several people at work since this has started have been wanting different components and or loads , that is always a NO .

Where were they when supplies were available ? And it is the same old story can you just do it for me most like vegetables and fruits you offer want it done and delivered and if they did something stupid it would be you they would blame , always remember that you may be who gets blamed even if it was some other ammo they found or got or they did something . No need for those headaches .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I politely explain it is illegal for me to load for someone else,
    Please site that in either federal or state law?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/pers...d-manufacturer

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.

No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a); 27 CFR 478.41]

Last Reviewed July 16, 2020
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Please site that in either federal or state law?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/pers...d-manufacturer

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.

No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a); 27 CFR 478.41]

Last Reviewed July 16, 2020
    ROTF! One excuse is as good as another, blaming the go'vermin is really good IMO.

I will allow people to shoot my reloads out of my firearms then and there and that's it. There's just too much liability to hand ammo out. As has already been stated if they want to bring their stuff over and use my gear, that's OK. But I haven't suggested that to anyone since no one has asked. I have had some folks ask for ammo at a match and I just told them that it wouldn't even come close to shooting to their aim. That was the truth. At the time I was loading a 160gr bullet at 860ish fps.

I probably reload for friends and family more than I do myself.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Oh yeah man, Been there done that,Local drunkard down the street ask me if I could load his boss some 300 BO's

I'm like sure,I'll need 1k of primers,brass,powder,projectiles, He's like well the boss picked up his brass at the range so he's got that covered.

Me, Good that's a start, Let me know when he gets the rest of the stuff rounded up, Bring it here and I'll coach him along....Crickets....

Boolit Master

I load only for myself and close friends.

The close friends that help pick up brass, help get scrap lead, help making ingots, help cast boolits, provide power and primers.

I don't have a lot of close friends
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been teaching new or newer shooter for 50 years. I have no idea how many but I do know it's more than two per year. At 2 per year that's over a 100. That doesn't include 30 years of competitive shooting for Uncle Sam but that was mostly with GI ammo. That is a couple of hundred more.

If I had to put a number on it 200 to 250 people have shot my handloads over the past 50 years.

Yes there are lots of folks that I don't want to be close to when they shoot their reloads but on the other hand I would not ride in a car with them driving either. I did have two friends killed in a car crash on the way to a match and numerous other fiends and family killed in car accidents. I also had a friend's mother die from food poisonings at a family gathering and several others had to be hospitalized. On the other hand I don't know a single person injured by another's reloads.

I don't have any problems with people that don't want to reload for others or shoot other reloads. No is easy enough to say without lying about the why.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-14-2021 at 06:12 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I've learned to not talk much about what it costs to reload. I was telling a friend one time about loading .300 Blackout, and how it costs me next to nothing: a couple cents for a gas check, a couple cents for a primer, 3 or 4 cents for some powder, free range-pickup brass and free scrap lead collected from the berm = less than a dime per round for good shooting ammo.

He got excited and thought he could pay me a hundred bucks for a thousand rounds of ammo all ready to go. I had to back up and explain just how much work went into that "cheap" ammo, and how I'd be glad to help him learn how to do it for himself, but I just couldn't do it for him. Even with legalities and liability issues aside, I don't have that kind of time. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth my time to load for myself. Well, of course it is nowadays, but in times when 9mm can be had for $8/box...

I am glad to show an interested friend how to do it to get them started, but I really don’t have the time to load for others.

In the years I've been reloading, I've had three guys use my equipment.

A life long friend that got me started in it, and one other close friend that was a big time shooter.

For him-- he'd watched and learned while I went through the process several times.
    Later on, He'd bring his components, I'd get him set up, then sit in the corner, watch, and sing while he cranked out 9mms.

Then not too long ago, I thought I was done reloading.
    A Army vet kid I worked with, who had 3 tours in the Sand Box.
    He came home wearing a Bronze Star, and SSGT chevrons.
    He got into it so he could afford shooting 3 gun.

He came over and used the stuff a few times, learned how to cast, and do the set ups for the single stage and progressive.
    One time, I told him to take it all home.
    He could get more done if he didn't have to drive 30 miles each way to use the equipment.

He was proud to get it, and I was glad my kids wouldn't ever worry about how they would have to dispose of it.

All the others just never quite wanted to bad enough to sit down and do it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-14-2021 at 06:28 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I been asked a dozen times in the last few months. My reply is always the same:

"Come over to the workshop when you have time and I'll show you how to load and watch you. When we are finished you can pay me for actual costs of components and we are square"

Not ONE person accepted the offer. People are lazy mooches.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    im happy to coach people but i wont load for anyone.

Boolit Buddy
    Like all of you I don't custom load but will mentor others , same as I was mentored a lot of years ago. When I started reloading years ago I brought the bullets, primers and powder to the fellows place and learned a lot in a couple hours. It's like buying reloads at a auction or gun show. They are usually sold as components only. I will say though I did buy reloads at a estate sale, after I bought the rifle they were fired in, and load data. It was a wise decision and saved me lots of time working up loads.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast