RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Very surprised at shotgun cost

Boolit Master

Very surprised at shotgun cost

I don't do much shot gunning any more but I took the two I have sitting in storage out to look them over, (Not much else happening here on a rainy afternoon). A Winchester Model 50 -12ga and an Ithaca model 37 in 20ga. These were both I used when I did a lot of bird hunting back in the 60's. I started looking at their resale value and was VERY surprised at how much they were going for. Makes me think twice about keeping them.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

If you intend to sell any firearms, now is the time to do it while supply is short and demand high along with price. You might be surprised how many people out there would be willing to buy those two shotguns to use as a home defense gun.

Older firearms kept in good condition have never been a bad investment.
    In these troubling times, they're real good.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There’s been a lot of inflation since the sixties, especially in guns recently. I don’t think prices will come down. If you do sell, don’t count on being able to buy the equivalent for the same price in the future, if you want to. I would never sell a gun unless I had a really good and important reason to do so. That’s just my philosophy.

Vendor Sponsor

If you think they're worth something now, sit on them another 10yrs....
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to have a Winchester model 50 back in the 70's. It had been cut down for slug shooting and had rifle sights on it. It was a nice gun but the floating chamber was badly corroded/pitted on the outside and it seemed back then even parts were hard to come by so I wound up selling it. Kinda wish I hadn't! It was a really nice gun.

Boolit Mold
    I Have an Ithaca mod 37 in 16 g.....very light quick handling little gun.....belonged to my father my first memories of hunting were following him around the fields and branches quail and squirrel hunting with that gun......that was when i was around four maybe.....I’m 52 and he has been gone almost 4 years.....one of those things that can’t be replaced.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I have a pair of M37 Featherlights. Hers is 20g, mine is 12g and they are our absolute favorite shotguns.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

that model 50 was the first shotgun I bought back when I was in high school. I liked it because it was light weight: aluminum receiver with steel innards and fiberglass wrapped barrel with a steel liner. I nailed a lot of pheasant with the gun. The model 37 came later and I used it on quail and rabbit. It was perfect for that game. I am going to keep them both.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

A few months ago it seen that several guns I have were worth several times more than I paid for them. I quickly added up how cash I'd have if I sold the ones I don't really use.

It was looked good at first, but then the total amount wasn't enough to buy anything I wanted that couldn't have been bought out of my mad money. Things go up, including what I'd like to buy. So I decided to keep them.

IMHO the Ithaca 37 is the best pump shotgun ever. Prices for everything are crazy.

To me no gun is worth to sell , later down the line you wish you did not do it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

What he said ^!!!!

Done it too many times and wished I hadn't!!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    When my mother passed 12 years ago I had an epiphany and sold over 100 of my own , mostly Marlin lever actions . Now that my father passed a month or so ago epiphany II kicked in and I’ve been trimming the herd some more . It’s my intention to get down to a decent number that I can keep in a single large safe at a friends house as it’s my intention to sell all my property in the USA and live in the Philippines year round .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    IMHO the Ithaca 37 is the best pump shotgun ever. Prices for everything are crazy.
    No argument here, I have a few and have had others. For hunting they are the best, but on the trap range, I have to admit to liking the model 12 better for the extra weight and side ejection/loading.

I don't sell guns they are not investments but rather tools and may not be replaceable in the future.

I have 3 that are special to me, a model 12 20ga, an A5 20 ga and Wby Orion 20 ga The Wby was a divorce present to myself, the A5 filled in my collection and the model 12 was a bucket list gun that I wanted from when I first started hunting.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    atr: I believe you my have miss typed your model number. The 50 was all steel and the 59 had an aluminum receiver with the fiberglass wrapped barrel. If I recall correctly, the 59 had a reputation of occasionally cracking the receiver behind the slot where the cocking handle went when the bolt cycled, especially if a lot of heavy loads were shot.

It always intrigued me that the big selling point was 500 miles of glass fiber wrapped around the barrel. That's longer than from the WYO to NM border, across CO. A always wondered how long it took to wrap that around a less than 1" diameter tube.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Older firearms kept in good condition have never been a bad investment.
    In these troubling times, they're real good.
    That is why I have sooo many!
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

I bought my Ithaca M37 in 1973 for $100 from a friend. It was well used and made in 1940. It has now been completely refurbished and I wouldn't sell it for less than $2K. (with the case)

It came out nice, and is the slickest pump gun I've ever handled. After learning how to run a pump gun at Front Sight I can easily shoot Skeet Doubles with it. It is so much slicker than my two M500's it is silly.

New ones are in the $1500-1800 range. So mine is competitively priced, and you can't buy another one like it!

Rule #1 in Economics,,, "Change is Inevitable."

Rule #2 in Economics,,, "Everything will cost more tomorrow!"

Rule #3 in Economics,,, "If everybody wants the same thing, whoever gets there last, pays the most!"

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464614.JPG   100464609.JPG   100464615.JPG   100464611.JPG   100464613.JPG  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-23-2021 at 03:21 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com