RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reloading 223

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Sorry, I know that wasn't probably what you wanted to hear but many times we just shouldn't do what we think we should....just to be safe.
    no problem, I was looking for guidance and that's what you gave me. I'll keep my eye out for some more suitable powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
    I just bought some reloading dies for 223 and I would like to reload some plinking rounds for my sons ar. I cant seem to find any good powder for the 223 rounds. All I have is titegroup, norma 204 , and norma 205. Would any of these be safe to load some 223 rounds with. I seen some data for titegroup but you only use 3.1 grains. I wonder if this will make the action work properly.
    Lyman Cast Bullet Manual no3 is a free pdf online if you Google it and scroll down.
    Also check out
    c
    www.cornellpubs.com
    for reprints of the no2 and no3 Lyman manuals Cast Bullet at reasonable prices.Also the have a thousand other reprints available from the earliest Ideal and Lyman Books and manuals.
    They are good.

Boolit Buddy
    I've looked for some suitable powder for the 223 but didnt find a whole lot. I did find some IMR 4198 and some IMR4350 at a gun show for 25.00 per pound. I loaded 4 rounds with the 4198 and it seems to work well in my son's AR. some guys said it is too fast and doesnt want to cycle the gun. my sons gun is a carbine so maybe that helps. I'm not sure if I can use the 4350 powder in the 223 but maybe in my 30-06. I loaded 18.8 grains with a 55 grain sp bullet

Banned

i use 2230 surplus 844 and 846, 335, tac or exterminator for the most part. 4198 works too but it doesnt meter well enough to load progressively. So i stick to the ball powders.

Boolit Master

Norma N200, Rel 15, and Rel 10x all work well also.

With 55gr. FMJ 4198 runs my AR , 16" barrel 1/8 twist just fine. I like Varget better but can't find any. Found some H335 to try next
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I have access to plenty of 55 gr. FMJ bullets, cases and small rifle primers. But only about a half pound of 3031. Because 5.56 was so cheap I never bothered loading it recently. Powder does show up at our lgs. Have to have them set me aside some.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
    I've looked for some suitable powder for the 223 but didnt find a whole lot. I did find some IMR 4198 and some IMR4350 at a gun show for 25.00 per pound. I loaded 4 rounds with the 4198 and it seems to work well in my son's AR. some guys said it is too fast and doesnt want to cycle the gun. my sons gun is a carbine so maybe that helps. I'm not sure if I can use the 4350 powder in the 223 but maybe in my 30-06. I loaded 18.8 grains with a 55 grain sp bullet
    I like 4198 in .223---nice economical and clean-burning powder. The 4350 is a classic .30-06 powder and won't work in .223.

Boolit Master
    I would first ask what weight bullet? I’ve used h335, 3031, 4895, varget, cfe223, to name a few. All depending on what weight bullet I was planning on loading for.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Mold
    If your ever down in Cincinnati area I can point you in right direction for 223 powder.

Boolit Master
    Reloading .223 takes some care and finesse, particularly for an auto loader. Sizing the cases is a critical step and a good lube is very beneficial. I have been using Lee's product that comes in a tube. You apply it with your fingers and I drag my finger tip over the case mouth so some gets inside the neck. Keep it off the shoulder. The other step that needs close attention is the crimp. I seat and crimp in seperate steps. For my AR's, I only load bullets with cannelures to prevent set back during feeding. It is easy to crimp too much and deform the case at the shoulder. You do not want to load a bunch of rounds that aren't sized enough or have a deformed shoulder.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12