MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading 223

Boolit Buddy

reloading 223

I just bought some reloading dies for 223 and I would like to reload some plinking rounds for my sons ar. I cant seem to find any good powder for the 223 rounds. All I have is titegroup, norma 204 , and norma 205. Would any of these be safe to load some 223 rounds with. I seen some data for titegroup but you only use 3.1 grains. I wonder if this will make the action work properly.
    Last edited by Jim P.; 03-15-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

None of those powders are suitable for cast or jacketed in the 223/5.56 cartridge in an AR if it is to function. With heavier 75+ gr jacketed bullet, if the AR has a 7 or 8" twist, might be made to work with Norma 204 powder.

Best to find a suitable powder or perhaps trade the 204 or 205 for some?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply. What would be the best powder to use?

H335 for 55g fmj in LC cases, cci primers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    H335 for 55g fmj in LC cases, cci primers
    ^^^ what he said. 25.5 gr for a max 223 load and 26.5 for a 5.56 load. Good with most 40 - 55 gr bullets.

Also AA2230, H4895, IMR 4895, IMR 3031, RL7, H322, etc. and similar powders in that burning range for up through 55 gr jacketed bullets. There are several new powders also but I've never seen any here.

Look in several loading manuals for the powders listed, those would be the ones to look for.

AA2460, Win 748, Varget, 4064, 4320, etc for the heavier 68 - 90 gr jacketed bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    2*.* grains of H4198 and the Lee 22/55 bullet gets me minute of soda can out to 250 meters. Even when aiming at the bottom of the soda can. Powdercoated bullets (Smokes) with gas check. Full cycle in a carbine gassed 9 twist 16 inch 223Wylde made with random parts and an A2 stock/buffer/spring = 3K fps and a little change. I quit buying jacketed bullets for the AR after learning how good cast can work in an AR. I just drop the clip on ww bullets into water straight out of the pc oven and size to .225 in a push through type sizer. No expensive equipment needed. The H4198 loads will not cycle the rifle length gas gun of my buddies reliably though. Them Lee bullets will rip a marmot to shreds when the soda cans get boring.

Boolit Master
    CFE 223 is also really good in 223-- about the same loads as above (I use 25.8 grains for 55 FMJ, 25.2 grains for 62 FMJ)
    Hick: Iron sights!

Several will work well, but 748 is my long time favorite.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate 2200 is a great powder for lighter bullets in the 223. I love it, and load lots of it. It load great for the 55s too

Boolit Grand Master
    I use AA2230 (Ramshot Terminator) in my 52,53 and 55gr bullet loads.

Boolit Buddy
    OP: check out Western Powders Rifle Load Data on line. They have a page called Rifle-Power to Cartridge Reference List. You can quickly find what powder they recommend for that cartridge...but maybe not best for the bullet, etc. They also have a lot of load data for you to use those powders.

Hodgdon has an excellent site for load data as well.

Staying with your .223, 55 grains +-, and plinking rounds: I like jacketed soft points better than fmj. The fmj are cheaper, but I get noticeably better accuracy (even in plinking) with the soft points.

My favorite powder for this is AA2230.

Powders I'd (and have) pick up for this are: AA2230, X-Term., TAC., Win748, H335 There are lots of others than can be used, but this is my short list.

Boolit Master
    ramshot TAC is my choice.

Boolit Grand Master

Given the shortage situation these days JimP may not have a "choice" but might have to go with what is suitable that he can find....sad times......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, the shortage. As in past dry spells, you have to have other choices ready when you see something on the shelf and grab it right now! Over a month ago I saw a # of 2230 and TAC at Sportsman. I was saving my $ in case I saw some primers. Decided I should have grabbed the 2230 and went back in the next day...all gone. We have a "general store" that we frequent and they have a small gun section. They got in some powder and I was able to get some Win748...not my 1st choice, but on my list. Limit of one per day so bought one and they still had one for me the next day. Back to empty shelf ever since, but I've got 500 or so loads of powder that'll do several range trips for the Wife and me.

During one of the past dry spells I'd carry a burn rate chart with me when I made the gun shop rounds. Any thing close that I could use was a buy if I saw it. I got to try some strange powders! And dry times like this are when you use the strange powders you bought during the last dry spell.

Got to make those rounds to the shops often so you can grab something if they get a shipment in. And you've got to beat the "resellers" to it.
    Last edited by LeonardC; 03-15-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I realize its not the proper powder but what would happen if I used some of the norma 204

Boolit Buddy
    I seen some Winchester 760 at fin feather and fur.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
    I realize its not the proper powder but what would happen if I used some of the norma 204
    That's a good question.....N-204 is a single based powder with a burn rate between the 4350s and 4831. It is intended for "magnum" cartridges.

If you were loading for a bolt or single action I would suggest loading a case full [100% load density] under the heaviest jacketed bullet (assuming a 9" twist?) using SR magnum primers (do you have any?) and give it a try.

However, given you are loading for your son's AR (probable 7 - 9" twist barrel) a couple additional problems may arise; first the powder will probably not burn efficiently meaning it will leave unburned powder that will blow back into the action as it functions. Second the time/pressure curve will be slow which could mean excessive gas port pressure in an already over pressurized system (they are designed that way) and thirdly do not reduce the load to "work up", especially with lighter weight jacketed bullets as an SEE condition (or catastrophic pressure spike) could occur.

My recommendation is not to try it but wait until you can find a suitable powder.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon site only list Win760 for VERY heavy (80+) loads for the .223. Won't work for you.

Edit: when I told it to look for .223 loads using 55 grain bullets and Win. powder, the only powder listed was Win748.
    Last edited by LeonardC; 03-15-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That's a good question.....N-204 is a single based powder with a burn rate between the 4350s and 4831. It is intended for "magnum" cartridges.

If you were loading for a bolt or single action I would suggest loading a case full [100% load density] under the heaviest jacketed bullet (assuming a 9" twist?) using SR magnum primers (do you have any?) and give it a try.

However, given you are loading for your son's AR (probable 7 - 9" twist barrel) a couple additional problems may arise; first the powder will probably not burn efficiently meaning it will leave unburned powder that will blow back into the action as it functions. Second the time/pressure curve will be slow which could mean excessive gas port pressure in an already over pressurized system (they are designed that way) and thirdly do not reduce the load to "work up", especially with lighter weight jacketed bullets as an SEE condition (or catastrophic pressure spike) could occur.

My recommendation is not to try it but wait until you can find a suitable powder.
    thanks for the guidance.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, I know that wasn't probably what you wanted to hear but many times we just shouldn't do what we think we should....just to be safe.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast