RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast gallery loads for the 358 Winchester?

Boolit Master
    Not .358Win but .35 Rem is in here. Should be close enough. I use .30-30 data in my .308.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In my .35/.30-30 Winchester I use 8 grains of Bullseye with Accurate 35-245D. That would be safe start load in a .358 and you could increase a couple grains as needed to find the sweet spot for best grouping.
    x2 - I use this exact load for my 35/30 and a shade more for 35 WCF.
    Another option is to get a chamber adaptor for your chosen cartridge. Shooting 38 ACP may not be economical if you're buying factory fresh, but definitely if you're looking for "gallery loads" (aka grouse / rabbit loads when hunting big game).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Except for the really slow ones 4831 and slower the H / IMR stick powders are safe enough to reduce, but will not let you go all that slow before the get very dirty or leave unburnt powder grains - sometimes they still shoot well. Way back when I first started shooting .350RM, I found a small game 158 grain cast load with 31 grains of 3031 in an old Al Miller (A serious 350 fan and then the editor of the Nosler manual and several gun rags.) article and have been using it ever since. By every general rule it should be awful - it is much dirtier and uses over three times the powder of my pistol powder equivalents, but it does just what he suggested by shooting nice groups at 25 yards from a rifle zeroed at 200 with a powder usable for standard loads and at about 1500fps is not too destructive on small game. A firm crimp and a magnum primer was noted to and does cleans up the burn a little. Slower with pistol powders is better, but the rifle powders can be made to work with some caveats.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12