Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast gallery loads for the 358 Winchester?

Boolit Bub

Cast gallery loads for the 358 Winchester?

Just took a look at this great old thread on Mouse Fart loads for the 30-06. I found this post from Larry Gibson where he mentions using Bullseye, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1695609, but alas none of that powder available up here at all.

Wondering if anyone has done any similar light load development for the 358 using other powders?

Thinking this would be good for shooting indoors, and certainly for grouse, ptarmigan and rabbits up North here.

Thanks,
    Ted
    Last edited by Yukoner; 03-13-2021 at 10:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have any 9mm moulds that drop 100 - 125 gr bullet at least at .358 you might try TLing them and load over 3.5 or 4 gr of Red Dot, WST, 700x or similar powder if Bullseye is not to be found.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Larry. Not sure what TLing is, but I do have some 700X.

No doubt I'm going to feel like an idiot when you tell me what it stands for....

Ted

Banned

TL = tumble lubing with Lee liquid alox.

Never did loads that light, but a Lyman 358311 and about 7-8 grains of Unique worked pretty well for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want to shoot indoors, get a pellet gun. Safer and a lot less expensive. The air borne particulate from primers is not good for you. Why anyone would want to cast, size and lube bullets, then reload a bottleneck case for plinking is something I have never understood. Use a $.03 pellet.....heck the primer alone is worth more than double that.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I use 700X for reduced and roundball loads in many cartridges. In the 356 Win I have used Lee 105 SWC with 3.5gr as the lightest load but have also used 6 to 7gr with 150gr RN, 158gr RN and 148gr wadcutters for close range plinking loads. Just about any bullet with fast burning powders in this range can be tweeked to work in individual rifles.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all of you! Will get back with a report after I give this a try.

Ted

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Why anyone would want to cast, size and lube bullets, then reload a bottleneck case for plinking is something I have never understood. Use a $.03 pellet.....heck the primer alone is worth more than double that.
    Most of us have no rational reason for 90% of the guns and shooting we do . We just want to 🤫

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe there is a benefit to practicing by shooting these reduced loads in the same firearm to be used for other purposes...like maybe hunting? My pellet gun serves a purpose too but the only thing that gives a satisfying crack of a real firearm from it are the lightweight cleaning wads breaking the sound barrier - but those don't go very far.

I load a good bit of reduced loads in my 35 Rem . I tend to use the same bullets I use for regular shooting i.e. 200 gr lee . If you don't have Bullseye you can use another fast pistol powder like Red Dot ,W231. 700X ect in the 6-7 gr range also unique in the 10-14 gr range and 2400 around 14-18 grs . I mainly use these slower loads to practice my offhand shooting
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

If you can find them the soft swaged HBWCs from Speer and Hornady also will make for very nice "gallery" loads for your 358W. Probably just a single loader with them but loaded over Bullseye or Red Dot to 700 - 800 or so fps they will shoot very well. Excellent small game loads also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Turns out I don't have the 700X I thought I did. Did a bit more research and am wondering if IMR4198 would work with 158 gr wadcutters? They are lubed and measure .359", so that part works.

According to Speer a max load of 44 gr 4198 gives 2740 with their 180 gr soft point, so thinking out loud here, 15 gr should give about 1200fps IF 4198 is safe in reduced loads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cast 358.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	279753

I value your advice and opinions. Thanks,
    Ted
    Last edited by Yukoner; 03-17-2021 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Reorient picture

Boolit Master
    Do you have access to any other fast burning powders rather than the 4198? I suspect the silence is due to the lack of data for reducing 4198 to the degree that you are looking for. The fast burning pistol powers are ideal for these low velocity loads.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

That powder does get used in reduced cast loads BUT I've never heard or read anyone reducing it down that low . I wouldn't do it .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    Well, no pistol powder available, and didn't find any warnings about using very reduced loads with 4198, so went ahead and tried three rounds in two different rifles.

No filler, all fired with rifle held horizontal. No problems, quite accurate at 25 yards. Now need to check the velocity.

Wonder what Quickload would predict?

Ted

Boolit Master
    Some of the tightest groups my 358 Winchester BLR has made were with a 200 gr RCBS cast gas check boolit and 39gr IMR 30-31.

Boolit Bub
    Here's a bit of 4198 info from the Reloaders' Reference program.

Ted

PS: anyone know how to get this site to accept portrait orinetation in photos?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_52442.jpg  
    Last edited by Yukoner; 03-21-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    My pics were loading sideways and I was told to crop them and they would load correctly , seems to work for me.
    Take the pic big enough to crop and not loose what you want to post.

Boolit Buddy
    Was trying to upload RCBS cast bullet book 1 data but it keeps saying upload failed???

RCBS 38-158-RN
    IMR4198 19.0 1376
    21.0 1516

RCBS 38-158-SWC
    IMR4198 25.0 1802
    27.0 1941

RCBS 357-180-SIL
    IMR4198 24.0 1660
    26.0 1727
    Data using Sav. 99, 22" bbl. 1-12" twist WW case, CCI 200 primer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my .35/.30-30 Winchester I use 8 grains of Bullseye with Accurate 35-245D. That would be safe start load in a .358 and you could increase a couple grains as needed to find the sweet spot for best grouping.

Attachment 280417
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-29-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast