Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Stupid Stupid Stupid Good Chocolate Cake From Cast Iron Skillet

Vendor Sponsor

Stupid Stupid Stupid Good Chocolate Cake From Cast Iron Skillet

This cake has buttermilk, espresso, and some really good high end cocoa that sets it apart from any you have made from a box, this is STUPID good chocolate cake! I use Ghiradelli Majestic cocoa, you find it on ebay (22% - 24% cocoa fat) or some Gherkens Garnet cocoa also high in cocoa fat, this seems to be the secret weapon to use here, yes you can make it with store shelf Hershey's cocoa but it won't be the same.

I make this single layer cake in a #6 (9") cast iron skillet, I start by placing a bowl upside down on a sheet of parchment paper and cutting around it, I butter the bottom of the skillet, place the parchment paper in the bottom, press out all the air, then butter the whole inside of the skillet, followed by putting half a cup of all purpose flour in the skillet, rolling it around to coat the buttered surface, then tapping out any excess. Turn the oven on to 325F and let preheat.

Ingredients

• 1 cup cake flour
    • 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    • 1 1/2 large eggs
    • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup buttermilk
    • 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 1/3 cup hot water

• Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Generously butter one 9-inch cake pan with 2-inch-high sides; dust with flour, tapping out any excess. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.

• Sift 1 cup cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add brown sugar and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions, beating just until blended after each addition. Gradually add hot espresso-water mixture, beating just until smooth.

• Pour batter in pan, smooth top. Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 15 minutes. Run small knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Place dinner plate atop skillet, invert skillet and cake will come out onto plate. Cool completely. Warm up frosting in microwave until it spreads easily, frost cake as desired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chocolate Cake .jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	279502

A variation I did last one I made, drain liquid from a 10oz jar of maraschino cherries into a mixing cup, pour out liquid until 1/3 cup remains, omit the water and instead use this liquid to make the espresso in the recipe, fold in the cherries into the batter just before pouring batter into the skillet. Baking times will be quite a bit longer, up to 1hr, but oh man it makes it like Black Forest cake!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-13-2021 at 02:18 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I knew better than click this thread!

Boolit Grand Master

I like the trick with the cherries ... sounds yummy !

My Mom would make a pineapple upside down cake in a big cast iron skillet ... good too .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Added to the cookbook, you appear in it a LOT LOL! Love good food! Soon as I have enough recipes going to start working on a digital cookbook to donate to the site. Need about triple what I have so far...

Banned
    I have a culinary orgasm when I look at this cake. Gosh, how good it looks, with a lot of chocolate, as I adore. I must immediately try this recipe and give it to my husband to try. We are both crazy about sweets, but especially about chocolate. That is our weakness. We used to have chocolate in the kitchen all the time. Our favorite is the one from https://lilyobriens.ie/personalised ; sea salted caramel and dark chocolate. Every month we order ten boxes from the website to have enough. We love to drink coffee with a piece of chocolate and talk on the balcony.

Banned
    Hey that sounds excellent ///////////////////////////////

Boolit Grand Master

Life's too short to Not Eat Well ... Cajun's practice this at every meal !

Last Saturday I had , for the first time , Fried Ribs !
    Doesn't sound that good ...but they take nice smoked pork ribs , cut each rib apart , batter it in a good batter (like you fry chicken with) then deep fry untill golden brown ... and then glaze them with a Honey glaze .... Oh My Lordy ... it was the best rib I ever put in my mouth ...

Pork ribs - smoked - battered - deep fried - Honey glazed ... Then ...
    Come home and eat a slice of DougGuys Stupid Good Chocolate Cake ... Eating Good ...
    ...it don't get no better !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Doug, I'm a type 2 diabetic...I think you just killed me. It'll take a taxidermist to get the smile off my face, though.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Doug, I'm a type 2 diabetic...I think you just killed me. It'll take a taxidermist to get the smile off my face, though.
    Oh Heck Yeah Man ... Spoken like a true Cajun ... your honorary Coon Ass Card is in the mail !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Hahaaaaa That's FUNNY!!! I have been contemplating replacing that cup of brown sugar with 1 1/2 cups of Erythritol, which is an alcohol sweetener that looks and tastes just like real sugar, but only 6% of the calories of real sugar. I think maybe 1 1/2C Erythritol, and 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses or 1/4 cup sorghum syrup might work.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Wow, that sounds good.

I think I gained weight just from looking at the picture.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.