Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: '73' project

'73' project

Collecting Winchester 1873 rifle ( well carbine) parts to "assemble" a short " trapper" carbine in 38 WCF. This has been ongoing for well over a year.

Wondering about Uberti action parts. Bolt, firing pin, toggle links n such.

Are these modern parts interchangeable with vintage parts? Such as a vintage firing pin fit in a modern bolt ... or visa versa.

I am sure others have considered this question as well. Has anyone put these together or are they INCOMPATIBLE?

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Find the thread "Anybody know this rifle?" in Leverguns by Kenh. I think it will answer your questions.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I can't speak for the '73, since the rifle in the "Anybody know this rifle?" thread is a '76. To make a short summary, the forearm end cap is the only part that didn't need some tweaking to make an Uberti part work in the original. Not much in most cases, but did take some. I think I touched on most items that needed mod'ing in the thread. The rear portion of the firing pin I wound up making a new one myself. The Uberti firing pin is "seems like" .355" while the original Winchester firing pin is around .345". Even the side plates took some tweaking to make work. The lifter arm had to be tweaked a bit due to the right lever spring length. Even the finger lever hole for the screw is a different size. The original screw will work, but leaves a bit of wobble in the lever. I wound up making a new screw.

How about a photo of your '73 and some idea of parts you need? It's going to be a fun project.

Ken H>

I am really close to assembly. I need the bolt, firing pin retainer and pin and the lifter spring and lever spring. I have all the rest. Even the spring screws.

Missed out on a bolt but it went sky high.

Have you tried Homestead, Winchester Bob, gunpartscorp or Dixie gun ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing wrong with multi year projects. I think my .38-55 project went about fifteen years between a solid desire and the first shot.

I would have bet money the Italian parts would not be close enough to fit with a file, due to the new ones being made were metric measurements are the standard and the original Winchester being inch pattern. Live and learn.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The Uberti firing pin retainer is made totally different than the OEM Winchester retainer. The Uberti retainer is designed for a spring loaded firing pin while the OWM Winchester retainer is made for a 1 piece firing pin that is retracted by action of the toggle link. Since you've got your toggle links one thing to consider is the Uberti bolt pin may well be a different size than the stock. I know this is the case with the '76, but have no idea of the '73 pin size. Perhaps somebody can tell you the size of the Uberti pin?

Boolit Master
    Sending you a PM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Sending you a PM
    didn't get a PM or email - either is good. Perhaps email would be easier to work with if more info is needed?

Boolit Master
    KenH, sent the PM to bigted,sorry I should have specified

Boolit Master
    No problem

There is a guy on eBay goes by drwinchester1873 that might have some of the parts you are looking for.