Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxPBcastcoTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Marlins Checkmaker

Boolit Buddy
    I have the .30 and .45. Nice tools! Gotta say- if you aren't willing to wait for his (high quality) tools you can always keep buying checks. There's a reason Pat is as busy as he is..

John

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    I have the .30 and .45. Nice tools! Gotta say- if you aren't willing to wait for his (high quality) tools you can always keep buying checks. There's a reason Pat is as busy as he is..

John
    Exactly!

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    No offense guys, but you seem very dismissive to anyone else's concerns. While I truly respect your opinions, please do not dismiss other folks opinions like their opinions do not matter. Waiting over 30 days for a simple piece of machining like this is just plain outrageous, and is why I will never purchase another one from him, regardless of the quality. I agree, it is a fine tool, but this is not a start up business. It's been the same story for years and years, and the "bugs" should have been worked out long ago.

A thread like this might steer some folks in a different direction and prevent them from the disappointment of waiting and endless excuses. Isn't that what these threads and forums are for? The exchange of information and opinions in a respectful manner?

Some members may have had great turnaround, where with the three I bought, I waited, and waited, and waited. My advise is to find manufactured checks or a different vendor, unless 3 to 6 months wait is fine with you.

Here's a thread from 2013. Same story. Just saying. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...as-check-maker

I guess, everyone has to decide on their own.
    Last edited by Duckdog; 05-15-2021 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added link.

No offense? None taken. Life is full of experiences, choices and opinions. Some of us are of the opinion, based upon our life experiences to choose to deal with Pat believing the choice is worth the wait. You are entitled to yours.

Why should anyone be offended? Not sure what the issues were in 2013, good of you to find that link. Most would have given up on the forums search engine long before we found the link. You are aware the World is in the middle of a pandemic. Whole sections of our economy beyond nightclubs and bars have experoenced delays in receiving needed parts and material due to staff shortages in their supply chains. Might be a simple issue today as no being able to get scrub screws or bar stock for the ram.

Enjoy your weekend. Mo masks if you are lucky enough to have had two shots for the virus.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    I bought Pats check maker a few years back when gas checks prices where high or could not be found and had to wait for them . This time with this shortage the check maker in hand and ready to make checks it was worth the money and the wait .

Ordered a 22 cal from Pat 12-1-20, never sent him a email asking about the order. I figured his check cleared and everything was good. Why bother him when he's busy filling orders. I had plenty of store bought checks anyway to hold me over. Received the checkmaker 5-13-21. Already got a few loaded up to take to the range. Quality product, well worth the wait....I'll never have to buy another gas check again!

Boolit Buddy

I received my 30 cal checkmaker from Pat last week. It makes very nice checks, and was worth the wait. Close tolerances and great machine work. Thanks Pat!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    No offense guys, but you seem very dismissive to anyone else's concerns. While I truly respect your opinions, please do not dismiss other folks opinions like their opinions do not matter. Waiting over 30 days for a simple piece of machining like this is just plain outrageous, and is why I will never purchase another one from him, regardless of the quality. I agree, it is a fine tool, but this is not a start up business. It's been the same story for years and years, and the "bugs" should have been worked out long ago.

A thread like this might steer some folks in a different direction and prevent them from the disappointment of waiting and endless excuses. Isn't that what these threads and forums are for? The exchange of information and opinions in a respectful manner?

Some members may have had great turnaround, where with the three I bought, I waited, and waited, and waited. My advise is to find manufactured checks or a different vendor, unless 3 to 6 months wait is fine with you.

Here's a thread from 2013. Same story. Just saying. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...as-check-maker

I guess, everyone has to decide on their own.
    If it was a CNC operation or a single maker you're right. But folks like Pat Marlin, Matteson's Machine shop, and others making these things are generally one man shops, working with manual equipment and doing high precision work. Throw in extremely high demand and you are going to have backlogs and long lead times.

Not defending these guys just stating the facts. I make a living buying and therefore have to have an eye for market conditions, demands and capacities of suppliers. Right now these guys are running at or above capacity and the triangle dictates you can only have 2 of the following: Cheap, Fast or Good. So your either wait for good stuff with a good price or get crap fast or get good as astronomical prices.

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    If it was a CNC operation or a single maker you're right. But folks like Pat Marlin, Matteson's Machine shop, and others making these things are generally one man shops, working with manual equipment and doing high precision work. Throw in extremely high demand and you are going to have backlogs and long lead times.

Not defending these guys just stating the facts. I make a living buying and therefore have to have an eye for market conditions, demands and capacities of suppliers. Right now these guys are running at or above capacity and the triangle dictates you can only have 2 of the following: Cheap, Fast or Good. So your either wait for good stuff with a good price or get crap fast or get good as astronomical prices.
    Pat marlin was squacking about his cnc quite a while ago. The website shows a cnc lathe

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Pat marlin was squacking about his cnc quite a while ago. The website shows a cnc lathe
    I stand corrected. I didn't know Pat had a CNC.
    But the rest of my comment is accurate for the other guys

Boolit Buddy
    Seeing how I was brought back into this, I stand by my comments as well. I also work with suppliers and market conditions, and I would not stand for the never ending excuses from any of these vendors and contractors. Maybe your situation is different from mine and others, and I respect that.

A simple search will show plenty of posts and examples of the excuses that were used over the years. I remember when Charlie was selling his product. I bought one. I received if very promptly. I think it was less than a week. He was also very busy, and also not a spring chicken besides. Charlie took money when he had the product in stock if I remember properly, and seemed to always have the most popular calibers in stock.

I guess if it were me, I would only sell what I had in stock, and not hold people's money for months on end. If that is not using that money to live on while waiting for more funds to come in, it is an interest free loan. It's your money, spend it how you wish. I will not do it again.
    Last edited by Duckdog; 05-25-2021 at 05:34 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Sent him an email this morning it's been 60 days. Maybe in another 30 I'll have it in hand.

Boolit Master

I have 3 gas check makers from Pat, he did a great job on all. I was raised by the owner of a one horse company, so I expect it to take a while to the product. So I order it and forget about it until it comes in: this is my hobby and I enjoy it also enjoy it more by not worrying about things like this. Pat will get it to you eventually.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I have 3 gas check makers from Pat, he did a great job on all. I was raised by the owner of a one horse company, so I expect it to take a while to the product. So I order it and forget about it until it comes in: this is my hobby and I enjoy it also enjoy it more by not worrying about things like this. Pat will get it to you eventually.
    If you like Pat's 2 stroke system, you'll love a single stroke system! WAY quicker, easier and more productive! I got a few single stroke makers from Matteson's Machine shop and haven't used my ones from Pat since. I can pop them out quick enough to spend more time loading and shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    139 days and still no delivery. At this point I'd be happy just to get my money back
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    139 days and still no delivery. At this point I'd be happy just to get my money back
    At this point, you are best to just wait it out. If it means anything, I'm at a 120 days.....

Boolit Master

I had one of his. 41 pb check makers for a few years. It started to make bad checks, so I sent it to Pat for repair or replace. He did some work on it, and sent it back. No better. I sent it back again. I had forgotten to put my return address on the package. He sat on it for months, with me sending text after text to him. He finally answered. That's when he told me about the missing return address. I sent him more texts regarding the replacement. Haven't heard from him since at least the middle of last year. All he had to do was send me a replacement. He still has the bad one. Good thing I didn't decide to not eat waiting on it. I wouldn't be posting this. Lol
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Apparently, he doesn't even read the post's here, to find out what he needs to do to keep his customers happy.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I think he's banned here. Probably because how he treats his customers. I bought a couple and after 2 months I just figured I'd been ripped off. Boy was I happy when they showed up. I agree that they're great tools, but if you do stuff for a living you should fill and ship orders promptly. I'm looking around at some or the other checkmakers myself.

Well I have to say he has always treated me fairly. I know he is behind in his orders but I also understand life is not a straight line. He may have health issues etc. I can wait for my stuff. In the scheme of life his delivery times are a pretty small part of my life.

Take Care

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast