MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: 7mm International Rimmed

7mm International Rimmed

Anyone out there have any experience with the 7mm International Rimmed cartridge? I may do a trade for a Contender Barrel for a 7mm International Rimmed but there is not much info out there on this cartridge. Case forming, load data, dimensions. I am trading a 373 JDJ to down size to something less violent to shoot but not sure if I want to go with the 7mm. What is involved in the case forming for it?

Boolit Grand Master

Whoa man! I won a number of State Championship Silhouette matches with that cartridge. It was my go to cartridge in the T/C for years. The original was designed for reformed 375 Win. brass as it has a thicker web than the regular 30/30, although I have found that the standard 30/30 was adequate for normal loads. To form all you have to do is lube a 30/30 and run it in the sizing die. It has a long neck and I used to shoot the RCBS 145 SIL boolit through it. It has plenty of punch for hunting or silhouettes as IIRC I had to drop the "inside" load by 10 grs. of H335 because of target damage and the "outside (150 yds. and 200 yds.) were holing the 150 yard turkeys (pre AR500 targets) and this was with "hardball" alloy (50/50 Lino and pure). It has a similar case capacity to the 7-30 Waters but the neck is a lot sharper. My records show that I was shooting the 145 gr. cast ahead of 31.5 grs. H335. Easy to load and accurate to boot. I campaigned a 7mmTCU for a short while and went back to the Int. Rimmed because the rimmed cartridge was easier to load and saved me a little time since I didn't have to pluck the cartridges out. I just tilted the barrel upwards and they fell out. Like a lot of the old Silhouette cartridges it has fallen out of favor recently, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is a great cartridge.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Make sure you get a set of dies with the barrel as they are probably pretty rare and $$$$ nowadays. I thought about a Wichita in that caliber during my IHMSA days, but got a 357 super mag instead and foolishly sold it later.

Boolit Master
    I once had an 1885 Winchester that the seller said was chambered in 7-30 Waters. I found that if you fired said cartridges that accuracy was horrible and the neck ended up longer than before firing. A long lost friend showed me what I actually had, reamed out my dies - and I had a shooter! I actually paid someone to have the barrel remarked before I sold it.
    BTW - the previous poster was correct, don't form it from 30wcf brass - 375 Winchester is definitely more appropriate for the mentioned reasons.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk