RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opinions and ideas for a large bore revolver

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    That would be quite the test on a Ruger flat top 45 colt . I don't think I would want to shoot any of your loads.
    Obviously Ruger Only loads are for large frame Rugers only...not flat tops.

Boolit Buddy
    Is that a 4" 625? Looks like mine except that mine is older (-3 1989) and a 5" barrel w/o the lock.

Really like the lightweight and compact of my 4” target bulldog 44 special. Maybe the 44 special GP100 is similar. 44 special at even 750-800 FPS will dispatch a lot of things. Shot loads too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    Is that a 4" 625? Looks like mine except that mine is older (-3 1989) and a 5" barrel w/o the lock.
    It is a 4 inch -8. When I decided to shoot USPSA revolver, I was looking for a 5 inch, but none were forthcoming. 625s were few and far between and asking prices were all above $800 (in 1998). Found that one on a table at the Harrisburg show for $350. Fondled it disappointed it wasn’t a 5 inch, put it back down and turned to walk away when my buddy asked me what I was doing.

He was right. I bought it and as we walked away he told me if I had taken a single step away from the table he would have bought it himself. I have had a LOT of fun with that revolver. USPSA 6 at a time was a great game. Breaking down the stages, figuring out the shots to avoid standing reloads. Good times! Revolver division took a turn down when they allowed 8 shot minor.

That picture is fresh from a match. Bullseye and Rooster Jacket tried hard to turn that thing into a blued gun.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Went out and ended up with a 10mm SRH. Moonclips and I can use large and small primers, what's not to love.

Thanks for all the input, I think this bad boy will be a lot of fun after I find a good chest harness holster.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    Congratulations....a very hard gun to find right now...

So why the SRH over the GP-100?

One could also have good custom shop chop the barrel down to make it handle like a Toklat...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Congrats on the 10mm SRH. Very nice gun.

I love a .45 Colt. Blackhawks are very nice and I love mine. But if you want big..... it's hard to beat the .460 S&W. (And you can shoot .45 Colt in it if you don't want "big" that day. You can even shoot .454 Casull in it if you want "medium big" that day)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Went out and ended up with a 10mm SRH. Moonclips and I can use large and small primers, what's not to love.

Thanks for all the input, I think this bad boy will be a lot of fun after I find a good chest harness holster.
    Took me a minute to realize when referring to small primers you were referring to shooting 40 S&W out of it.

Congrats on the new purchase

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Congratulations....a very hard gun to find right now...

So why the SRH over the GP-100?

One could also have good custom shop chop the barrel down to make it handle like a Toklat...
    Well they had the SRH in the case and the price was pretty decent. I'll keep an eye out for the GP model that I want and one day it'll show up.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    The good thing about forums is the variety of responses to a question by member. That is what makes forums a good thing is to see how others think.
    The OP said in his first post, "My primary uses are carrying around the property/varmint patrol and fun on the range." All of us who posted probably overlooked that. We gave recommendations that went from something that may be good for small rats to something that could stop a charging 230 thousand pound D11T Cat dozer with one shot. This is what makes forums interesting.
    It is good to have forums because it causes one to think if nothing else.
    I enjoy them.

Boolit Master

Good choice...............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I got Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Colt and Charter Arms in .40 Caliber and up and love every one of them but the one that gets carried the most for general purpose walking around on my place is the Charter Arms stainless Bulldog Target . It's lighter than all the rest and has decent adjustable sights . The .44 Special can do mild to wild and the CA can handle both if you can hang on to it . I shoot the 250 gr Keith bullet with 7.5 gr of Unique and have no problem with the recoil . I don't have bears where I live so the only likely danger to me would be loose dogs and even the factory velocity type loads with a better bullet will handle dogs no problem and are easy on the hand . The gun is accurate enough for any need I will have and is way lighter than anything else that I own . Very handy big bullet gun for what you want . Load the first two chambers with shot and your choice in the other three if snakes are likely to be an issue .

I guess I should have read the whole thread before I responded . Congrats on your new toy .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 03-20-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Cargo, you did well. IMHO you have the most accurate factory stock revolver made and that is satisfying to say the least. The way the SRH locks up into battery keeps the cylinder in nearly perfect alignment with the barrels forcing cone. Yeah, they are heavy but they are as tough as they come and the way you intend to carry it, you will not be constantly pulling it up off your hip and will have it handy when you need it. Now get a mold with a big flat meplat and some Blue Dot and it's all good!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Attachment 280057 This mold is from Accurate Molds and it gets my vote for a real thumper of a boolit out of a 10mm SRH. Dangit, Cargo, you're giving me the itch for one!!
    Last edited by murf205; 03-28-2021 at 05:04 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234