RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does someone have an old Lyman reloading book they can post 10 gauge 2 7/8” data?

Boolit Grand Master

I had very bad experience using plastic wads over BP in 12 ga. Hulls!

I wound up scrubbing out plastic sheets with BP fouling. It might depend on wad brand but my barrel was lined with plastic!

If you use nitro and hard card wad column under a shotcup with cushion leg and seal cut off it might not be an issue. Using a lubed felt wad under the shotcup might be a good idea too.

Maybe others have had success but my experience using cushion leg plastic wads over BP was very bad!

YMMV

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Lol...thanks for the tip. It makes complete sense.

Boolit Grand Master

To be honest, I don't know if the wads were melting or if the plastic was being scraped off by BP fouling but then end result was a really crudded up barrel and literally large strips of plastic and BP fouling came out of that barrel!

BP either burns hotter or longer than smokeless powder because it is hard on plastics. You will notice that your plastic hull case mouths will get crispy after a reload or two of BP. If you can toss them after one use not a big deal. Brass hulls would be a better choice for BP I think. If you could find paper hulls they should work well too.

Again, just my experience.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    After all the load data I’ve have found I didn’t run across this load! It’s a 116 grains of fg and 1 5/8oz of lead. The only other 1 5/8oz black powder load I rand into was with 130 grains of fffg with 6700 pressure. I would assume 14 grains less of bigger FG powder would cut pressures back a good 500 to 800? Guess the load came from the track of the wolf. Does anyone have the black powder load data booklet they can share? If not I’ll have to order one up.

Watch this little guy comically blaze away with the load...

https://youtu.be/UhgZXoGdzHQ

I will have to buy some brass shells. Are there significant pressure differences using brass shells vs plastic when using the exact same charge in each?

Here is a load card from the lee loader I have coming. It had a red dot load with 1 5/8oz of lead and 30 grains of red dot...with no pressure listing. Anyone have an idea of an approx pressure over this load?

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-17-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I have the Lymans Shotshell Handbook 1st edition. It has 10 gauge loads in 3.5, 2-7/8's, and believe it or not 2-3/4". Email me at chris@txvaluepro.com and I'll scan you whatever you need.
    Chris McCollum
    www.metroplexchl.com - North Texas CHL HQ
    Dallas Concealed Handgun forum
    Fort Worth Concealed Handgun forum

Boolit Master
    Ross Seyfried article on black and low pressure smokeless powder:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...loading/361504

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12