RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Question on being born of the Spirit

Boolit Master

Question on being born of the Spirit

Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3 v 5 that a man must be born of the Spirit of God in order to enter the kingdom of heaven. Is this an action which a man must take or an action which the Spirit takes on behalf of the man ? I would very much like to hear your thoughts on this; as I have been wrestling with trying to understand the meaning of a man being born of the Spirit of God.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master

Ephesians 1 tells us that our salvation was established prior to the foundation of the earth! If that is so it is all God, I just recognize and appreciate what He has done.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    We are children wandering in the world waiting for our hearts to by changed by the Holy Spirit so that God can adopt us as His son (or daughter). Then we can be reborn sons of God.
    Thus Galatians 4:

Sons and Heirs

(Genesis 21:1-8; Romans 8:12-17)

1Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; 2But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. 3Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: 4But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

[from BibleHub] Amen

When the Bible says "servant" the Koine is "doulos"-- slave. Slave to sin.
    Re-ligion is from re-chaining. I wear no chains anymore.
    I have a relationship. Reborn.
    When you were married, was it a secret, or did you tell the world?
    Now that I have dropped the last chain of an awful job
    I am free to evangelize and apologize (though some have no ears to hear)
    to help bring on the revival. Pray for the rebirth of our nation. Redemption.
    There are many hard hearts out there that need the Holy Spirit.
    Bring it, Lord!

Boolit Buddy
    Romans 6 1-11 may help If we are baptized into Jesus's death we also will be raised with him. also John 14-6 Jesus says I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me. Romans 8-16 The Spirit itself bearers witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.
    Really all of Romans 8 applies I think.
    Matt 3-11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than
    I, whose shoes I'm not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.
    Not my work but the work of the Holy Spirit.

Moderator Emeritus

We are born into this life a physical (earthly) being. In baptism we die to sin (earthly) and are raised a spiritual being through Christ even though retaining the physical body. The Bible makes many distinctions between physical and spiritual life, spiritual coming from and being controlled by God.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Banned

It’s all Greek to me!

Boolit Master

God's plan for eternal life is extended to "whosoever". His plan had Jesus die on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins. We must then believe, have faith and be obedient to his commandments.
    So the Spirit of God is Gods part and being "born of" is your part of eternal life.

Boolit Master
    I am of the opinion that it is all of Him and none of us. The glory belongs to Him alone. He draws us and saves us. How can a man who is spiritually dead revive himself? This is impossible. Only God Himself can save us, through Jesus Christ and His death on the cross, His burial and His resurrection.

Does the Father need our assistance, our help, our will to give life to our souls? In my view, no.

"For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life and I will raise him up on the last day." John 6:40 (E.S.V.)
    Last edited by exile; 03-17-2021 at 12:49 AM.
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I am of the opinion that it is all of Him and none of us. The glory belongs to Him alone. He draws us and saves us. How can a man who is spiritually dead revive himself? This is impossible. Only God Himself can save us, through Jesus Christ and His death on the cross, His burial and His resurrection.

Does the Father need our assistance, our help, our will to give life to our souls? In my view, no.

"For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life and I will raise him up on the last day." John 6:40 (E.S.V.)
    I agree with this post.

For 40 years I was the goat who would not be led. They talked about green pastures. Bah Humbug! I dreamed of the rocky steeps.
    They talked about still waters. I dreamed of rushing rivers, rapids.

Looking back over my life I could see the hard parts. And only one set of tracks, where the Lord carried me.
    And I could see people who I did not know at all, who did not know my parents. Who were prompted by the Lords mysterious ways to step in and lend a hand when I needed it most. I could see where I abandoned the Lord, but the Lord never abandoned me. Then the Lord decided it was time to end this foolishness. Then he found a way to get to me, to help me cleanse my heart of pain, anger, hate, ill feelings. In that time he taught me to look at pain, and its causes. And to look at the person who caused that pain. And to see the pain and torment they were in. It is true, misery loves company. And most people only know how to reduce their pain by inflicting pain on others. Once I could see that trap they had fallen into. It became easier and easier to forgive them as Jesus would. Once forgiven my pain vanished into a haze misty with time. Was washed away with tears.

My heart was purified. Became a suitable home for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit isn't going to live in a gutter.
    Does not have to be fancy, but needs to be solid and PURE. Free of hate, anger, fear.

I will never forget when the Holy Spirit descended upon me. I felt complete, and I felt peace which surpasses all understanding, peace like a river flowing down on me. Within 2 days I had it figured out. Raise my voice and the peace was gone.

Take one step off the path I was supposed to be on and the peace was gone. It was pretty effective. I quickly learned to be a quieter, gentler bill. Some here could give testimony to that. I learned if I miss stepped to back up until I felt the peace. Then listen to my heart not my head for the correct direction.

The good news, the little trickle of peace I started with grew. From a little stream, to a creek, to a river, to Niagara falls.

To answer the OP, IMO it takes both working together. The Holy Spirit has to descend on you. You have to have a pure heart for it to reside in. It will guide you, if you let it and pay attention. But you have to walk the path. You have to learn to stay on the path.
    And perhaps hardest of all. You have to let the troubles, worry's and concerns of this world pass. You have to SERVE and be concerned for the next world. You have to submit to the Lords Will. And not just part time.

I laugh and cry at all of the one hour Sunday Morning Christians. They are going to get a rude awakening.
    They are going to appear before the Lord expecting heaven and he is going to say "I knew you not" When did you follow me, do as I ask?

And they are going to scream but I was a faithful church goer for over 20 years!e

By their fruits you will know them. And dry sticks that have produced nothing will be burned in the fire.

But those who produced fruit, good fruit, and in abundance will be watered and pruned and encouraged to do more.

REPENT! We are it seems to me in the end times. Help those in need. Give of yourself and your time.
    Turn to the Lord for your salvation. For there is no other. Only the fire. Repent fully. Serve the Lord with all your heart, and mind and will.

And if you can't handle all this and want to call me crazy feel free. They called John the Baptist crazy too.
    Reckon I'll be in good company.

Remember God helps those best who help themselves.

We are here to learn, but especially to love. Faith hope and Love, but the greatest of these is Love.

Let the Lord and the Holy Spirit be your guide. You can hear them if you learn to still your mind and listen.

God be with you all, and bless and keep you brothers.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

But GostHawk, remember those 40 years in the wilderness when He was with you and have patience with those who are there now.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Wayne I try sir, honestly I do try.

But I admit I am not as good at it as I should be.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub

Here is what the Bible says:
    Acts 2:38
    And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Matthew 3:11
    I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

My understanding and Acts 2:38 confirms it, is that when you repent of your sins and accept Christ as your personal savior you are filled with the Holy Spirit and He resides in you and works in you.

Moderator Emeritus

Knock and it shall be given, seek and ye shall find, ask and it shall be given you tells me that it requires an action on your part.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Knock and it shall be given, seek and ye shall find, ask and it shall be given you tells me that it requires an action on your part.
    Yes, there is an action required. The action is repentance of sin and accepting Christ as your personal Savior. The Holy Spirit comes in to your heart and soul upon repentance and acceptance. Does it really matter that this very small action is required to receive the Holy Spirit and spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord?