Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reuse canning lids

Boolit Mold

Reuse canning lids

Does anyone reuse canning lids

Boolit Master
    No
    (System requires a 5 character min post length)

It's not a good idea. But Tattler brand (it's a system that uses your existing canning jars) is reuseable. That's all I know about Tattler.

Boolit Buddy
    It's generally not recommended.

I reuse them as Target bullseyes

I started to use them. I make sure they are not bent or rusted . The thing you need to do it boil them for about 1/2 hour to soften the rubber on the lid and then use them like normal . It works. I remove the rings when I store the jars. I done some checking on line about it and many stated what was posted on here and then found one that said what to do to reuse them and try it and works with out any problems. One person on the checking I done said they used the lids that was in good shape so far 5 times.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

They are so cheap I don't take the chance. When using the jars for liquors I do reuse the plastic screw on lids after they are put through the dish washer.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2A-Jay View Post
    I reuse them as Target bullseyes
    /\ I think this is the best answer /\

They are very inexpensive and basically a disposable item. While it may be possible to re-use them, it begs the question - "WHY"?
    The purpose of canning is to preserve something for long term storage and later use. If the process fails, you're not saving money. So what are you saving by recycling a $0.05 lid?

Boolit Master
    Not a particularly GOOD idea, but in a pinch I think it might work. NEW lids are much higher priced than they were just a couple of years ago, but finding them is another story. We used to just get what we needed at the grocery store, but the stores have been out of stock ever since this covid thing hit. I was able to find some at "masonjarmerchant.com"

.05 cents a lid is a pipe dream anymore. When lids are found, which has been seldom for a year, they are .19 cents for regular mouth each and .27 cents per wide mouth. Removing the lid carefully, cleaning and storing may be a good idea if you have no access to new lids.

Chris

we've done it for years but we're scotch. We reuse ones that look perfect after use and only for high acid fruits, as long as the vacuum is formed and sealed that's what matters. You have to be alert to vacuum failure or loss and the appearance of spoiled food, this is not a game for the mindless. We don't do much that requires steam processing I don't think I'd reuse lids for that, very hard on the rubber seal. Now that canning lids are in short supply it might look better to conserve, thus we "depression mentality" people shall prove victorious over the slothful!

Boolit Buddy
    I do, but not so much for long term canning.

Moderator Emeritus

depending on what I am canning, I do reuse them.
    For Tomato juice, I have a batch of Lids that is seeming lasting as many cycles as my 41 Mag brass

I do boil them fairly hard before each re-use, and they get inspected for flaws.
    Also, I don't cross use them. If they were used for tomato juice the first time, they will only get re-used for tomato juice.

Some say they are cheap. Has anyone bought any during the covid shortages? They cost about the same amount as factory 9mm ammo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

we reuse them, mostly on freeze dried food we store in jars.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I have a device that allows you to vacuum pack using mason jars. The kids used for vacuum packing can be reused. The ones used for canning won't work if used a 2nd time. I still save the and just use them as regular lids, for stuff that dies not require canning or vacuum packing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper View Post
    .05 cents a lid is a pipe dream anymore. When lids are found, which has been seldom for a year, they are .19 cents for regular mouth each and .27 cents per wide mouth. Removing the lid carefully, cleaning and storing may be a good idea if you have no access to new lids.

Chris
    https://www.amazon.com/Canning-Regul...46002619&psc=1

$28.99 for 100 lids. That's less than $0.30 each.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 03-12-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    Uhh,, check your math. That's $0.2899 per lid, or right at $0.29 cents per lid.

I reuse them all the time for vacuum sealed jars.

For wet-pack canning? Not if I can get new lids. Why take a chance on a jar not sealing when new lids are available and relatively cheap?

As with things firearms related though there have been periods in the past when new canning lids were hard to come by or simply not available. When I ran out of new lids I reused lids still in good condition and never had a failure to seal. I only did this with lids that were not bent, rusty, or had the sealing compound damaged.

I've probably got a couple hundred used lids put by because I vac-seal a lot of stuff. I also keep a good stash of new, unused lids for when I need them. If another drought period were to happen I would reuse some of my used lids when I ran out of new.

As another poster stated - new or used - you simply have to pay attention to whether a lid has sealed or not. New or used if the lid didn't seal then straight into the refrigerator it goes to be used up right off.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dunross View Post
    I reuse them all the time for vacuum sealed jars.

For wet-pack canning? Not if I can get new lids. Why take a chance on a jar not sealing when new lids are available and relatively cheap?

As with things firearms related though there have been periods in the past when new canning lids were hard to come by or simply not available. When I ran out of new lids I reused lids still in good condition and never had a failure to seal. I only did this with lids that were not bent, rusty, or had the sealing compound damaged.

I've probably got a couple hundred used lids put by because I vac-seal a lot of stuff. I also keep a good stash of new, unused lids for when I need them. If another drought period were to happen I would reuse some of my used lids when I ran out of new.

As another poster stated - new or used - you simply have to pay attention to whether a lid has sealed or not. New or used if the lid didn't seal then straight into the refrigerator it goes to be used up right off.
    ^^ + One. Above says it all.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Thanks for the link, BUT, read the fine print;

Apply to: Suitable for sealing the mason jars that stored spices, snacks, jams, soft drinks, coffee, nails screws and other small objects, please confirm the size before order.

Two things jump out at me,
    1. Chinese grammar.
    2. Lots and lots of things I can are not on that list. Jam is the only "normal" food item on the list that is canned and it is so safe to can you can use paraffin for a lid. Description makes it sound like the lids are for keeping dust out.

I will vouch for Tattlers, been using them for years when needing lids and lids were scarce. They say 20 cycles on the rubber rings, and infinite life on the lid it's self. So if you are canning once a year, those rubber rings are a 20 year product.
    I think if you are a person who sees the wisdom of a reasonable stash of primers, powder, ammo, molds etc. you really need to consider stashes and alternatives to all the consumables of life. Now that shooting stuff is unobtanium, invest in some of those other life supplies. Think about what you use and how " for want of a nail, a shoe was lost".
    just my $.02

P.S. we save the used regular lids, when we make a large batch of food for a meal we will fill the leftovers into 1/2 pint "salmon" style mason jars using those lids and rings. Save them in the freezer. Then lunch is only 1.45 microwave minutes away.
    Last edited by kootne; 03-12-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast