WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing 223 boolits for baking

Banned

Standing 223 boolits for baking

This is easier if you use Silicone Mini Ice Cube Trays 160 Small Ice Cube Molds like CB member Slide previously posted. This way you don't have to make UHMW posts for cutting/punching out the holes, just set the mold on a flat surface, cut/punch the holes, flip them over on non-stick paper, load, bake.

My mind works a little differently than his

BTaT- Trivets https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hollow Punch Set, 6 Pc. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piec...set-67030.html

[ I also use these for cutting/punching lubed wads for BP loading]

UHMW plastic (cutting board) cut a small piece 1/2x1/2x3 inch, mark one trivet cavity with felt marker then lightly press the UHMW on it giving you a outline then saw/cut a 1/8 inch post around the mark.

Center the post under the punch on your drill-press and set the stop so you don’t go too deep into the post.
    I chose a slow speed then drilled/punched out all the holes.

Coat your boolits as usual and sift off all excess PC.

Set the trivet on nonstick sheet , and fill the holes with 223 boolits ��

Last edited by Conditor22; 03-19-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Where did you get that mat , and how many boolits does it to fill it up .

Boolit Master
    Here is the one I posted about last month. So far it has worked really well for me. It is good to have options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0630.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	279401
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Nicely done. Thanks for the idea.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Bub
    I have just begun to dip my toes in PC; is it necessary to stand the boolits up like that?

Boolit Master

So 360 boolits at one time. What mold(s)? What Toaster Oven does this mat fit or is that the oven in the house? Expanded wire for cooling? Why are the two sides are not "holed" for boolits? Wider than the non-stick surface below?

I have many thousands of 22 Bator boolits to PC and no experience - yet. These links might be a good fit for me.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

I use a similar product off of amazon. It was a silicone small ice cube tray. Got 2 for like 6 bucks. Only problem is the powder coat builds up in the bottom and after a few rounds leads to pretty bad PC flashing if you dont dump them as soon as they come out of the oven. No biggie, I either water quench or the sizing die trims most of it off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    I have just begun to dip my toes in PC; is it necessary to stand the boolits up like that?
    It depends on what level of accuracy you desire. Some of us who stand them up are after the best accuracy we can get at longer ranges.

If you are looking for fist size groups at 100yd or less you don't need to stand them. Just dump them in the basket and bake.

These are 30cal, but it would work well for just about any caliber with little modifications.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the tech. Would it be necessary to do that to pistol boolits if searching for best accuracy?

Banned
    Where did you get that mat , and how many boolits does it to fill it up. === First link in post

I have just begun to dip my toes in PC; is it necessary to stand the boolits up like that? === With most PC’s you get a better finish by standing them up, I have some PC’s that work well with the dump and bake method

What mold(s)? === MP 227-65

What Toaster Oven does this mat fit or is that the oven in the house? === BTaT- Trivets for Hot Pots and Pans, 2 Pack, Trivets, Silicone Trivet, Hot Plate Holder, Trivets for Hot Dishes, Hot Pot Holder, Silicone Trivet Mat, Silicone Trivets, Trivet Set, Trivet Mats, Hotpads measures 6 ¾ x 6 ¾. I used a small countertop convection oven

Expanded wire for cooling? === these were quenched out of the oven

Wider than the non-stick surface below? === optical illusion, the boolits are resting on the nonstick sheet

I use a similar product off of amazon. It was a silicone small ice cube tray. Got 2 for like 6 bucks. Only problem is the powder coat builds up in the bottom and after a few rounds leads to pretty bad PC flashing if you dont dump them as soon as they come out of the oven. No biggie, I either water quench or the sizing die trims most of it off. === You need to Sift/tap all the excess PC off before you bake

Thanks for the tech. Would it be necessary to do that to pistol boolits if searching for best accuracy? === I stand up handgun boolits, they don’t require anything to keep them from tipping over. The further you are shooting and the more critical you are, standing up gives a better finish. For plinking and short-range shooting PC, the surface condition isn’t as critical ---- this also goes back to what PC you are using, there are some PC’s that give excellent result using the dump method.

Boolit Master
    Since we are posting ideas here is another option for you guys. I posted this about a month ago. It is on page two of this thread with complete details on how to do it. Also details on the silicone mat posted above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0621.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	279499
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Mold
    Didn't catch that link , thanks Conditor22 .

Boolit Master

As always SAGE INFORMATION PROVIDED!!!

Thank you my friend!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    This is easier if you use Silicone Mini Ice Cube Trays 160 Small Ice Cube Molds like CB member Slide previously posted. This way you don't have to make UHMW posts for cutting/punching out the holes, just set the mold on a flat surface, cut/punch the holes, flip them over on non-stick paper, load, bake.

Boolit Mold
    Tried the S&B with the new colors , the black did OK , the orange was acceptable , but the purple stuck together like crazy . LOL I like the the way the black turns out , looks kind of like old lead that has oxide .

Boolit Master

Center the post under the punch on your drill-press and set the stop so you don’t go too deep into the post.
    I chose a slow speed then drilled/punched out all the holes.
    ^^^genius! I never once thought about using a hole punch in a drill press. thanks
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Totally need to try this out !
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Derivation on a Theme - similar to Iron369's suggestion, I used 1/4 inch "hardware cloth" for 223 Bator and 22-55-SP (RCBS) boolits that works "pretty well" (some of the wires are LESS THAN 1/4 inch apart) and bending was real easy. I also listened to the advice of others here and purchased the silicon tray liner, which I custom cut to fit the trays.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    These are 30cal, but it would work well for just about any caliber with little modifications.
    Thanks. A picture's worth a thousand words. Going to try this with some 22's using hardware cloth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast