Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Opener - Heads up

Boolit Grand Master

Can Opener - Heads up

Farberware Professional Portable Can Opener , item # 5258357
    I opened one can of Hunts Diced Tomatoes , on the second can ... it broke !

WOW... what a quality can opener. I thought Farberware was a decent brand ... it wasn't the cheapest at $12.99 and it does say " Professional" ... but on the back of the display card , all the way at the bottom in tiny letters is printed ... Lifetime Brands , inc . Garden City NY , Designed in the USA , made in China.
    I tried to check on the "Lifetime Limited Warranty" they claim to have but the New York main office is shut down due to Covid restrictions ...and don't hold your breath about reopening any time soon... the Governor is too busy with other allegations to worry about opening up businesses in NY .

My last can opener , 20+ years old and grungy was retrieved from the recycling bin , washed , steel wooled and scrubbed clean and put back in service .
    Old Swing-A-Way , made in the USA ... and guess what ... I can get a new one off AMAZON for only $7.99 and they still made in USA .

The Faberware is going back to wally mart for a refund ... their loss , my gain !

China is not doing or economy any good ... cheaply made defective products sold for high prices will not be popular ... a can opener must open at least 3 cans before failure .

My recommendation : Don't Buy (junk) buy any can opener Made in the USA !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I 2nd your opinion. Cheaply made, worthless stuff. I use old, hand turned can openers. Old stuff. SWMBO always fusses at me to use the under cabinet electric one. Nope, ain't gonna do it. Easy as pie, can chunk it in the dishwasher and clean it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I've had a couple of the electric el cheapos that would make metal filings on top of the can.

I've since gone to the more or less heavy duty hand crank ones at the grocery store.
    They work pretty fast, and last us 2-3 years before they dull out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.

Attachment 279389
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Super Moderator

Swiss Army knife can opener works well for me when the others fail. P38's work good too.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, a good can opener is a under rated item. I too have can openers similar to those above. The Australian Army HAD, a slightly longer version that incorporated a spoon and a bottle opener. Excellent steel and we still have them everywhere in the house, shed and vehicles. Very practical and work every time. As Army people do, they had a name, FRED, Fu..ing Ridiculous Eating Device. Apparently the Aust Army have gone to your shorter version now. Either way they worked well then and still working now.
    Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC)
    We couldn't hardly get them in the wing.
    However; I still have mine from boot camp.

Somehow,,,,,
    I ended up with a few of the stainless steel, four blade, survival knives with one blade being a can opener,
    that went into the inflatable life rafts and survival kits.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I still have a P38 in my key ring. One has been there since my first trip out on the field, while in basic training, back in 1971. Plus, I have a bunch of them in a drawer.

Boolit Buddy
    Still got mine with the para cord I put on it a lifetime ago

We have had one of these for at least 10 years. Went through several crap ones before we found a good one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs about 30$ at Amazon. Just ordered one for my wife's mother who is 86 and can no longer run a hand powered opener.

PS I like it because it works on regular cans and pull top cans, and no sharp edges. (Lid edge can be sharp)
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Yeah, I have 3 or 4 P-38s. Found some at a gunshow some years back. New in their original brown paper wrapping. I have one on a keyring in the truck. Also have an old metal can opener in the console. Gotta be prepared. Never know.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-12-2021 at 09:38 AM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I have been using the Farberwear hands free battery operated portable for years. The only problems I've had is the Wife dropping them in the floor too many times and cracking the case, then the batteries fall out. It also cuts the side seal and doesn't leave a sharp edge. I like then so much I've given then as Christmas presents.

Boolit Master
    we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.

Attachment 279389
    Best can opener in the world,

Simple

It works

Cheep

What you got in your pocket ?

Attachment 279389
    I have one on my keychain that I use most of the times
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Farberware Professional Portable Can Opener , item # 5258357
    I opened one can of Hunts Diced Tomatoes , on the second can ... it broke !

WOW... what a quality can opener. I thought Farberware was a decent brand ... it wasn't the cheapest at $12.99 and it does say " Professional" ... but on the back of the display card , all the way at the bottom in tiny letters is printed ... Lifetime Brands , inc . Garden City NY , Designed in the USA , made in China.
    I tried to check on the "Lifetime Limited Warranty" they claim to have but the New York main office is shut down due to Covid restrictions ...and don't hold your breath about reopening any time soon... the Governor is too busy with other allegations to worry about opening up businesses in NY .

My last can opener , 20+ years old and grungy was retrieved from the recycling bin , washed , steel wooled and scrubbed clean and put back in service .
    Old Swing-A-Way , made in the USA ... and guess what ... I can get a new one off AMAZON for only $7.99 and they still made in USA .

The Faberware is going back to wally mart for a refund ... their loss , my gain !

China is not doing or economy any good ... cheaply made defective products sold for high prices will not be popular ... a can opener must open at least 3 cans before failure .

My recommendation : Don't Buy (junk) buy any can opener Made in the USA !
    Gary
    I'll take it one step further. DON'T buy anything from Wal-Mart.

Banned
    My grandparents had one of the old "Swing-A-Way" openers that was mounted to the wall. It had a lever handle and a crank on it. That thing was probably 40+ years old when I saw it as a kid and it worked perfectly.
    I have a hand held "Swing-A-Way" brand opener that is probably going on 20+ years. It is about as simple and functional as you can get. That thing is bullet proof. I wouldn't even THINK about replacing that device.

While we're on the topic of Swing-A-Way products, they make the BEST hand held jar opener in the world. It is a simple stamped steel device that is adjustable and operated by a single lever. If you know someone that occasionally needs a good jar opener - this is the ONE.

Boolit Master
    Farberware isn't what it used to be. I have 50 year old Farberware pans in daily use but the can opener I got in a recent set of Farberware utensils was awful. I read the reviews on amazon and bought a Qwesen, It was highly rated by old pharts as easy to turn and came with a spare cutter. Not admitting to getting old, mind you, just prepared.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    its just part of the china Walmart throw away plan to fill out landfills to capacity

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    We have had one of these for at least 10 years. Went through several crap ones before we found a good one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs about 30$ at Amazon. Just ordered one for my wife's mother who is 86 and can no longer run a hand powered opener.

PS I like it because it works on regular cans and pull top cans, and no sharp edges. (Lid edge can be sharp)
    What I use, arthritic hands don't like can openers. Only thing I use my 20 year old $1 special can openers on is tuna where I use the lid to press down and drain it. Advantage to that style electric is the lid can be placed back on top of the can to store it in the fridge overnight if you only use half(I live alone, often do this).

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    +1 for P-38. Looks like a lot of us have used them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast