MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Opener - Heads up

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.

Attachment 279389
    Never used one of those before but that looks like a nice little can opener. Do they make quality reproductions of them? I'd suppose they would be easy to find in surplus stores. Is that the case?

I've used the "Punch and Twist" can openers before, but that thing would be a lot easier to day-pack with than the handled kind...

Boolit Master

You can find the John Wayne/P38 can opener in most sporting goods store cooking sections, or at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-O.../dp/B005EAIXAU

Reason is most of the seasoned members of this site remember it is because it was introduced in 1942 to open canned individual rations for service members. In my memory, it was quite common over the decades for the John Wayne/P38 to be worn on the chain of one's dog tags, so it was always with a Service Member. A few were included in every case of "C-Rats" the military had. In the late 1980's as I recall; was when the plastic baggy food came into the military (MRE- Meals Ready to Eat). With that change the John Wayne/P38 can opener left the military except they could (still can?) be found in the military PX's. They are such a handy little, small footprint, device they are still commonly found - particularly in Sporting Goods Stores.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    +1 for P-38. Looks like a lot of us have used them.
    This one has been in service since October 1968...and a grenade pin pull ring still makes the best keyring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-38.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	279434

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    +1 for P-38. Looks like a lot of us have used them.
    I've used them and still have a few , even demonstrated for my son and his cub scout pack how to open cans with them ... then got old ... the fingers just don't work like they used to .

Not giving in to electric just yet ... I can still turn a thumb crank ,
    looking at another Swing-A-Way or one called EZ-DUZ-IT or one labeled Made in USA ... all three of these are still made in the USA and should do better than New York Chinese made .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    This one has been in service since October 1968...and a grenade pin pull ring still makes the best keyring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-38.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	279434
    LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    You can find the John Wayne/P38 can opener in most sporting goods store cooking sections, or at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-O.../dp/B005EAIXAU

Reason is most of the seasoned members of this site remember it is because it was introduced in 1942 to open canned individual rations for service members. In my memory, it was quite common over the decades for the John Wayne/P38 to be worn on the chain of one's dog tags, so it was always with a Service Member. A few were included in every case of "C-Rats" the military had. In the late 1980's as I recall; was when the plastic baggy food came into the military (MRE- Meals Ready to Eat). With that change the John Wayne/P38 can opener left the military except they could (still can?) be found in the military PX's. They are such a handy little, small footprint, device they are still commonly found - particularly in Sporting Goods Stores.
    I've seen those P-38 can openers in action thanks to a Youtuber, Steve1989 that collects and eats old MRE's, including C-Rations and more exotic ration meals.

Makes me wonder if you could modify one to key in a separate, longer handle for people that have trouble using it.

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Makes me wonder if you could modify one to key in a separate, longer handle for people that have trouble using it.
    There are aftermarket ones that are noticeably bigger.

I've seen them on display racks where camping stuff is located.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have 2 P-38 openers one on my issue Dog Tag Chain on one on my Key Chain, I have had both since 1971 when I finished Bootcamp. I also have one of the larger ones that were used for opening the25 pound coffee cans.

Still use then to this day.

Boolit Bub
    The larger ones are p51's
    I have dozens stashed everywhere https://www.etsy.com/listing/8182861...on0=1490080687

Boolit Master

I have a P38 in my wallet right now. The wife insists on using electric can openers. The past 3 have been heaps of junk. I bought a crank type for the kitchen drawer. I like swiss army knife can openers too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Follow up on can opener quest .
    I was bound and determined to buy an opener ...not made in China !
    I got tired of looking around town and went to Amazon (my wife actually ordered it but I found it )
    The brand name is ....wait for it ... MADE IN USA ... looks a lot like my old Swing-A-Way (which are now made in China) but it's built like a Sherman Tank . Very sharp , smooth and easy operation .
    If anyone's looking for a good manual can opener MADE IN USA gets a 10 + 5 gold stars .
    I Like It !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12