ADvertise hereRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading UKLee Precision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Can Opener - Heads up

  1. #1
    Boolit Grand Master

    gwpercle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    6,569

    Can Opener - Heads up

    Farberware Professional Portable Can Opener , item # 5258357
    I opened one can of Hunts Diced Tomatoes , on the second can ... it broke !

    WOW... what a quality can opener. I thought Farberware was a decent brand ... it wasn't the cheapest at $12.99 and it does say " Professional" ... but on the back of the display card , all the way at the bottom in tiny letters is printed ... Lifetime Brands , inc . Garden City NY , Designed in the USA , made in China.
    I tried to check on the "Lifetime Limited Warranty" they claim to have but the New York main office is shut down due to Covid restrictions ...and don't hold your breath about reopening any time soon... the Governor is too busy with other allegations to worry about opening up businesses in NY .

    My last can opener , 20+ years old and grungy was retrieved from the recycling bin , washed , steel wooled and scrubbed clean and put back in service .
    Old Swing-A-Way , made in the USA ... and guess what ... I can get a new one off AMAZON for only $7.99 and they still made in USA .

    The Faberware is going back to wally mart for a refund ... their loss , my gain !

    China is not doing or economy any good ... cheaply made defective products sold for high prices will not be popular ... a can opener must open at least 3 cans before failure .

    My recommendation : Don't Buy (junk) buy any can opener Made in the USA !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

  2. #2
    Boolit Master


    gbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    1,675
    I 2nd your opinion. Cheaply made, worthless stuff. I use old, hand turned can openers. Old stuff. SWMBO always fusses at me to use the under cabinet electric one. Nope, ain't gonna do it. Easy as pie, can chunk it in the dishwasher and clean it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master

    Winger Ed.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just outside Gun Barrel City, Texas
    Posts
    4,383
    I've had a couple of the electric el cheapos that would make metal filings on top of the can.

    I've since gone to the more or less heavy duty hand crank ones at the grocery store.
    They work pretty fast, and last us 2-3 years before they dull out.
    Political Correctness and the cancel culture is only allowed to exist because of the coward culture.


    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master



    MUSTANG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Moapa, Nevada or Kalispell, Montana
    Posts
    1,734
    we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61YouMf99IL._AC_SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	279389
    Mustang

    "In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

  5. #5
    Moderator


    ShooterAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    8,653
    Swiss Army knife can opener works well for me when the others fail. P38's work good too.

  6. #6
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    110
    Yes, a good can opener is a under rated item. I too have can openers similar to those above. The Australian Army HAD, a slightly longer version that incorporated a spoon and a bottle opener. Excellent steel and we still have them everywhere in the house, shed and vehicles. Very practical and work every time. As Army people do, they had a name, FRED, Fu..ing Ridiculous Eating Device. Apparently the Aust Army have gone to your shorter version now. Either way they worked well then and still working now.
    Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master

    Winger Ed.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just outside Gun Barrel City, Texas
    Posts
    4,383
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC)
    We couldn't hardly get them in the wing.
    However; I still have mine from boot camp.

    Somehow,,,,,
    I ended up with a few of the stainless steel, four blade, survival knives with one blade being a can opener,
    that went into the inflatable life rafts and survival kits.
    Political Correctness and the cancel culture is only allowed to exist because of the coward culture.


    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    CastingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Climax, Michigan
    Posts
    2,208
    I still have a P38 in my key ring. One has been there since my first trip out on the field, while in basic training, back in 1971. Plus, I have a bunch of them in a drawer.

  9. #9
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Queensland Australia
    Posts
    320
    Still got mine with the para cord I put on it a lifetime ago

  10. #10
    Boolit Grand Master GhostHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fargo ND
    Posts
    5,995
    We have had one of these for at least 10 years. Went through several crap ones before we found a good one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Runs about 30$ at Amazon. Just ordered one for my wife's mother who is 86 and can no longer run a hand powered opener.



    PS I like it because it works on regular cans and pull top cans, and no sharp edges. (Lid edge can be sharp)
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

    Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

    Anyone that wants to use this, feel free. Spread it wide and far.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master


    gbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    1,675
    Yeah, I have 3 or 4 P-38s. Found some at a gunshow some years back. New in their original brown paper wrapping. I have one on a keyring in the truck. Also have an old metal can opener in the console. Gotta be prepared. Never know.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-12-2021 at 09:38 AM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,519
    I have been using the Farberwear hands free battery operated portable for years. The only problems I've had is the Wife dropping them in the floor too many times and cracking the case, then the batteries fall out. It also cuts the side seal and doesn't leave a sharp edge. I like then so much I've given then as Christmas presents.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brushy Mountains of NC
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61YouMf99IL._AC_SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	279389
    Best can opener in the world,

    Simple

    It works

    Cheep

    What you got in your pocket ?

  14. #14
    Boolit Master trapper9260's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,899
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    we have a variety of old style & new style manual and electric can openers we have acquired over the decades. But; the truth is the most reliable are the "John Waynes" (a Quasi-Official designation in the USMC) or P-38 (Army/Air Force designation). They are the most reliable and one is found in the glove box of each of our vehicles multiple drawers in the house, in the Travel Trailers, and in the Day Pack.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61YouMf99IL._AC_SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	279389
    I have one on my keychain that I use most of the times
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

  15. #15
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New Market, Iowa
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Farberware Professional Portable Can Opener , item # 5258357
    I opened one can of Hunts Diced Tomatoes , on the second can ... it broke !

    WOW... what a quality can opener. I thought Farberware was a decent brand ... it wasn't the cheapest at $12.99 and it does say " Professional" ... but on the back of the display card , all the way at the bottom in tiny letters is printed ... Lifetime Brands , inc . Garden City NY , Designed in the USA , made in China.
    I tried to check on the "Lifetime Limited Warranty" they claim to have but the New York main office is shut down due to Covid restrictions ...and don't hold your breath about reopening any time soon... the Governor is too busy with other allegations to worry about opening up businesses in NY .

    My last can opener , 20+ years old and grungy was retrieved from the recycling bin , washed , steel wooled and scrubbed clean and put back in service .
    Old Swing-A-Way , made in the USA ... and guess what ... I can get a new one off AMAZON for only $7.99 and they still made in USA .

    The Faberware is going back to wally mart for a refund ... their loss , my gain !

    China is not doing or economy any good ... cheaply made defective products sold for high prices will not be popular ... a can opener must open at least 3 cans before failure .

    My recommendation : Don't Buy (junk) buy any can opener Made in the USA !
    Gary
    I'll take it one step further. DON'T buy anything from Wal-Mart.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    7,449
    My grandparents had one of the old "Swing-A-Way" openers that was mounted to the wall. It had a lever handle and a crank on it. That thing was probably 40+ years old when I saw it as a kid and it worked perfectly.
    I have a hand held "Swing-A-Way" brand opener that is probably going on 20+ years. It is about as simple and functional as you can get. That thing is bullet proof. I wouldn't even THINK about replacing that device.

    While we're on the topic of Swing-A-Way products, they make the BEST hand held jar opener in the world. It is a simple stamped steel device that is adjustable and operated by a single lever. If you know someone that occasionally needs a good jar opener - this is the ONE.

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    Mal Paso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    3,176
    Farberware isn't what it used to be. I have 50 year old Farberware pans in daily use but the can opener I got in a recent set of Farberware utensils was awful. I read the reviews on amazon and bought a Qwesen, It was highly rated by old pharts as easy to turn and came with a spare cutter. Not admitting to getting old, mind you, just prepared.
    Mal

    Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,467
    its just part of the china Walmart throw away plan to fill out landfills to capacity

  19. #19
    Moderator Emeritus

    MaryB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    9,007
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    We have had one of these for at least 10 years. Went through several crap ones before we found a good one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Runs about 30$ at Amazon. Just ordered one for my wife's mother who is 86 and can no longer run a hand powered opener.



    PS I like it because it works on regular cans and pull top cans, and no sharp edges. (Lid edge can be sharp)
    What I use, arthritic hands don't like can openers. Only thing I use my 20 year old $1 special can openers on is tuna where I use the lid to press down and drain it. Advantage to that style electric is the lid can be placed back on top of the can to store it in the fridge overnight if you only use half(I live alone, often do this).

  20. #20
    Boolit Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2,752
    +1 for P-38. Looks like a lot of us have used them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check