Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 308 Plan

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Thanks men,When I can get back to the testing it will more than likely be the 180 gr. gas checked for starters.
    Probably do a 5 shot sting, But due to fear of baffle strikes after a couple fired minus the can first to avoid keyholing
    In other words, If I see key-holes the can's not going on there until I've worked up enough for a nice round hole in the target.

I don't know if these are still around, But at one time Winchester had put out a few sub-sonic jacketed 185 grain rounds

Friend of mine had gotten a box from the rep, I pulled 1 apart and weighed the donut shaped powder.
    I want to say 10.8 grains of possibly bullseye powder?

Any other donut powder out there besides bullseye?

Boolit Buddy
    TrailBoss?

One of the advantages to a cast boolit over a jword is that in theory anyway you ought to be able to get a heavy boolit at a shorter length. I plan to use a soft (heavy) alloy as well, no worries about leading at sub speeds. Stability is really about length so keeping them short should help.

Boolit Grand Master

Bullseye is a flake powder, not a "donut" powder.

Bullseye also is the best choice for subsonic loads in most every rifle cartridge as it ignites easily in larger cases reducing position sensitivity. It also will produce the smallest amount of gas and the lowest muzzle exit pressure; the smaller the charge of any powder for a given velocity [such as sub sonic at 1050 fps] under a given bullet the less "noise" will be made with, or with out, a suppressor.

In a 10" twist 308W I've shot a lot of cast at sub sonic velocity and never had a stability issue even when well below sonic using bullets up through 1.2" (GC'd 311299) in length. Also with WFN bullets you can have feeding issues with staggered magazine fed rifles. I always found the Lyman 311041 (178 gr fully dressed) to be adequate for the job at 1090 fps. Also the blunter the nose , or flatter, the lower the velocity will be before the bullet starts to snap or crack on exit from the suppressor.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    TrailBoss?

One of the advantages to a cast boolit over a jword is that in theory anyway you ought to be able to get a heavy boolit at a shorter length. I plan to use a soft (heavy) alloy as well, no worries about leading at sub speeds. Stability is really about length so keeping them short should help.
    Sorry, I meant trailboss,Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Bullseye is a flake powder, not a "donut" powder.

Bullseye also is the best choice for subsonic loads in most every rifle cartridge as it ignites easily in larger cases reducing position sensitivity. It also will produce the smallest amount of gas and the lowest muzzle exit pressure; the smaller the charge of any powder for a given velocity [such as sub sonic at 1050 fps] under a given bullet the less "noise" will be made with, or with out, a suppressor.

In a 10" twist 308W I've shot a lot of cast at sub sonic velocity and never had a stability issue even when well below sonic using bullets up through 1.2" (GC'd 311299) in length. Also with WFN bullets you can have feeding issues with staggered magazine fed rifles. I always found the Lyman 311041 (178 gr fully dressed) to be adequate for the job at 1090 fps. Also the blunter the nose , or flatter, the lower the velocity will be before the bullet starts to snap or crack on exit from the suppressor.
    Thanks Mr.Gibson, Brain sneeze on my end, Thinking trailboss typed bullseye, There once was a thread on here by Bruce B, May he rest in peace
    The old gent was doing a lot of pistol powder testing in the 308's and had posted a lot of recipes.
    What ever happened to the thread,My search-fu powers are lacking today?
    EDIT,I've located the BruceB thread
    Last edited by Gator 45/70; 03-14-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Link?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Link?
    Here is BruceB's loads put together by Jack,After looking this over he was primarly in the 1700/2100 fps range on 99 % of his loads.

Very interesting project Bruce was doing

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...6&d=1485639602

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pringfield-M1A

oops, didn't know you already had the 308. Short story, friend's wife (good shot) hit a hog (7 mag bolt gun) couldn't chamber a new rnd before the hog was lost in underbrush. I tried a head/neck shot @ 50 with BO and he ducked it! Unfortunately, last rnd in the mag. Another guy hit 13 of 15 220gr BO sub @ 100 and still never found the hog. Isn't so much the gun shot but the whack when you hit one that spooks them.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    oops, didn't know you already had the 308. Short story, friend's wife (good shot) hit a hog (7 mag bolt gun) couldn't chamber a new rnd before the hog was lost in underbrush. I tried a head/neck shot @ 50 with BO and he ducked it! Unfortunately, last rnd in the mag. Another guy hit 13 of 15 220gr BO sub @ 100 and still never found the hog. Isn't so much the gun shot but the whack when you hit one that spooks them.
    Lol, I have poured corn in a row strait back to the stand and waited....Sure enough about 8/9 lil porkers ran out and being pigs they are they line up shoulder to shoulder to eat, I waited until 2 I wanted lined up, Bang went the 308, 2 pigs down 1 shot.

I loaded them up and when I returned to the camp one old man was like, You got 2 pigs ?
    Me, yes sir
    Old man, I only heard 1 shot ?
    Me, Yes sir, I let em line up, Shot thru one and the bullet exploded hitting the second pig in the neck, lung, liver.
    lol true story !

Boolit Master
    wales uk not new zealand

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    wales uk not new zealand
    Oh,sorry about that, I hope that's not an insult about New Zealand and all ?

Is there a good number of rifle casters and reloaders in the area?

Only knowing very little about gun ownership in the UK, Like you have to be in a club I think?

Boolit Mold
    Hello everyone, 1st post here and trying to get into casting -

I have the 230gr lee mold on the way, and a similar hope to get a load in a suppressed 30-06 that works for a "quiet " varmit/hog first shot - any experience with what alloys are suitable for subsonic use in this situation? I'm thinking something soft enough to potentially expand instead of pencil thru.

Thanks,
    Terry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Oh,sorry about that, I hope that's not an insult about New Zealand and all ?

Is there a good number of rifle casters and reloaders in the area?

Only knowing very little about gun ownership in the UK, Like you have to be in a club I think?
    a club or land to shoot over .no insult over new zealand.we have to jump through hoops to get a licence,have to renew every 5 years .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12