Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 308 Plan

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's

The 308 Plan

What I'm looking at is an older Savage model 11
    1/10 twist 20'' barrel nothing fancy here.
    The barrel is threaded.
    The plan
    I have 150 fn mold along with 165 fn and 180 gr fn
    What I think I would like to do is hog hunt at night (legal here)
    Powders I can get are
    Trail boss
    Bullseye
    Unique
    Possible Clays?
    Titegroup
    and possible several others?
    What I'm looking for I think would be sub-sonic load data and accurate loads.
    Any recipes with any of the above component's would be apricated since reloading supplies are hit or miss
    Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Boolit Master
    it is very hard to get a light bullet to go sub sonic

I would go with the 180g
    or
    if you can a 200 g fn

as heavies will go slow and still pack a punch

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Lee has a 230 grain mould that I’ve used subsonic.

Boolit Man

My old standby tried and true generic load for 308 subs with jacketed bullets is 10 grains of Trailboss. Some lighter jacketed bullets (147 boat tail especially) can require less, say down to 8 grains or so, to stay subsonic. I haven't used cast in my 308 subs yet, which is surprising to realize and kind of embarrassing, since I think cast are better than sliced bread.

Some say Tin Star is capable of the same results: low velocity, medium pressure and subsonic with good load density. I have not used it.

Others use a Red Dot load, known as 'the load', which may work or you may be able to modify. Other pistol/shotgun powders can work too, so certainly consider your Bullseye, Titegroup, Clays. Bullseye may prove too fast a burn rate for you. Unique seems to work in everything that shoots slower than a rifle bullet. 2400, before its change to its current state, used to be sold as rifle powder. 2400 is amazing in a lot of medium-sized cartridges with cast, but more for the 1700-2000fps range; I think it's too slow for what you're looking for. But don't rule it out for great cast hunting or plinking loads in your 308.

My advice when working subsonic loads is to mirror what we do for a gun's max: work toward it, but down, not up (mirror image is same, but opposite, right?). That's not to say some ugly problem won't rear its head as you do, so don't think that as you go lighter you won't have something happen that you don't want to have happen.

My other thought: figure the speed of sound as 1040 plus the air temp in Fahrenheit. Ignore wind speed, density altitude, humidity, etc. This has worked for me, but I live in a high, dry climate. If you don't have a chronograph, just listen for the sonic crack and know that's above your limit.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    20 grains of 2400 under one of those 180's ought to reach out and touch something, it aint gonna be sub sonic but why would you want to shoot so slow trying to take down wild hogs. shoot em once and be done with it.
    if you were shooting a 400 grain bullet out of a 45-70 or something then sub sonic speed would probably work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    20 grains of 2400 under one of those 180's ought to reach out and touch something, it aint gonna be sub sonic but why would you want to shoot so slow trying to take down wild hogs. shoot em once and be done with it.
    if you were shooting a 400 grain bullet out of a 45-70 or something then sub sonic speed would probably work.
    Well trying to keep the noise down so as to not spook the herd, That and having the law called in on us,Granted we do notify the local parish's sheriff's office that we are in the area at night hunting hogs.

Boolit Master
    now I understand what you're after. the only thing I ever tried subsonic in was a 300 black out, I won't be doing that anymore, just not my cup of tea.
    man for some reason I'm really missing Louisiana this year, no fresh mud bugs, no crawfish boils here in Tennessee and aint nobody know how to make gumbo right and my last batch of red beans and rice just did not do the trick.
    I would think a bigger caliber with heavy bullet going slow would get it done good

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    now I understand what you're after. the only thing I ever tried subsonic in was a 300 black out, I won't be doing that anymore, just not my cup of tea.
    man for some reason I'm really missing Louisiana this year, no fresh mud bugs, no crawfish boils here in Tennessee and aint nobody know how to make gumbo right and my last batch of red beans and rice just did not do the trick.
    I would think a bigger caliber with heavy bullet going slow would get it done good
    Well Thank you for the food mention, We do those things here in S.Louisiana. I do the boils, Wife knocks out the gumbo, But...

She cheats a bit with smoked sausage and a rotisserie chicken lol

Good stuff that.

Boolit Master

With a bolt action rifle, you only get one shot at a sounder of hogs. By the time you get a second round loaded, there are no targets left except supersonic hogs running in every direction. I get the noise issue, but not for spooking the pigs. My standard .308 pig load is now a NOE 311041 with gas check, powder coated sitting on top of 28 grs. of H4895. I used that load out of a 16" carbine to kill a 507 lb boar in TN. I had to shoot him 3 times but the bullets penetrated over 3 feet of shoulders and the bullets were lodged under the skin on the other side. That load will penetrate a hundred pound "eatin" pig end to end and pass through.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    With a bolt action rifle, you only get one shot at a sounder of hogs. By the time you get a second round loaded, there are no targets left except supersonic hogs running in every direction. I get the noise issue, but not for spooking the pigs. My standard .308 pig load is now a NOE 311041 with gas check, powder coated sitting on top of 28 grs. of H4895. I used that load out of a 16" carbine to kill a 507 lb boar in TN. I had to shoot him 3 times but the bullets penetrated over 3 feet of shoulders and the bullets were lodged under the skin on the other side. That load will penetrate a hundred pound "eatin" pig end to end and pass through.
    Maybe and maybe not? These 2 came from the same herd 30 minutes apart, One I shot thru the throat with a .17 hmr 17 gr. suppressed
    2nd one returned to the feeder with about a dozen others, Big D shot the second one with a Grendel.
    We waited another 45 minutes and decided there was to much pig blood so the rest would not come back in?
    Fat lil sows,Ate well

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Lee has a 230 grain mould that I’ve used subsonic.
    Tks, Now to find one?

Boolit Master
    found around 18 grains of 2400 was the most accurate in my savage 116 pre acutrigger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    found around 18 grains of 2400 was the most accurate in my savage 116 pre acutrigger
    Tks, I'm surprised at the number of sub sonic shooters in New Zealand of all places? I apricate the load data.

Get a BO, 357 or 40SW unless you have another use for the 308. You can run these sub or super in carbine. TG is all that would work in 308. Even 231 is too small a load in large case to work well. With a lever gun, maybe 2 shots - bolt - just one. Ruger PCC 40SW? Or the UGLY HiPoint 40 carbine using glock mags? Even a long barrel 357 revolver?
    Whatever!

Boolit Man

If you're looking to take away sound, how about a suppressor? Even using supersonic ammo, a suppressed gun is more effective at not spooking game than subsonic ammo.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd View Post
    If you're looking to take away sound, how about a suppressor? Even using supersonic ammo, a suppressed gun is more effective at not spooking game than subsonic ammo.
    We have several,I'm using an Omega 300 on the 308 bolt gun, This year I have an ATN Thor 4, Big D my hunting bud is sticking with the green laser light.

The jury is still out on the ATN, I walked at the end of the street on a nice moon-lite night, I could easily make out the horses at 300 yds, The cows were way out in the pasture,
    I knew they were cows, But the fine definition or outline wasn't there for perhaps 800+ yards on a black angus cow.

I shoot the Lee 170 gr. subsonic in both my 30-30 and 30-06 using TightGroup. 5 grs in the 30-30, and 6 grs in the 06. They do well. So I'd guess at about 5.5 grs, give or take a couple 10ths as a starting point for the .308.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I shoot the Lee 170 gr. subsonic in both my 30-30 and 30-06 using TightGroup. 5 grs in the 30-30, and 6 grs in the 06. They do well. So I'd guess at about 5.5 grs, give or take a couple 10ths as a starting point for the .308.
    TY Sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    TY Sir !
    You're most humbly welcome fine Sir. My data is taken from this site;
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    Very interested in this topic.

I'm currently putting together a 308 with a 24" 1:10 that I plan to shoot jwords out of but am looking to work up a sub load as well.

Like the idea of a cast boolit with a nice wide meplat, something along these lines:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul...ue/31-220H.png

Obviously concerned about stability but guess there's only one way to know for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast