MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mihec mold seizures

Mihec mold seizures

Came across this in another thread, it seems his molds are being seized by customs in Chicago. Does anyone have any more info on this? I was considering an order soon, but not if I could loose it with no recourse.
    Do all mihecs molds go through Chicago? How are they marked/declared, something that is drawing attention? Would be nice to hear from anyone who has had a mold seized, and if they got an explanation from customs.

the other thread (didn't want to derail the original topic)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...35#post5141035

Boolit Master

Mihec mold seizures

My molds have always gone through Chicago as far as I know and I’ve never had an issue. Last one I got was probably in November though. Nothing I’m aware of would cause that to flag it to customs. I’d be surprised if this was more than just a one off issue that some one person had.

I’m no expert in the law but I don’t know if any legal cause/reason customs would have to seize these kinds of packages. I know there are export laws that can impact sending ammunition style supplies but I’ve never heard of any that limit import of tools like this. I know I did have one stopped and inspected a few years ago which delayed the arrival a week or so but it did get to me eventually.

I’d reach out to Miha and ask him directly if this has happened. If it is happening I’m sure he’s been alerted.
    Last edited by StuBach; 03-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    those are the same people that seized the brass that was shipped to me from Sweden, go figure. do a bunch of do gooders work there?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    those are the same people that seized the brass that was shipped to me from Sweden, go figure. do a bunch of do gooders work there?
    Keep in mind it is Chicago, where they have some of the strictest gun laws around so people there might be “sensitive”. That shouldn’t impact legal process though when it pertains to merchandise moving through not do they restrict tools of this nature to my knowledge.

Vendor Sponsor

Hi Guys,

Dimner clued me in on this thread, thanks to him!

I spoke with Miha on Monday about this issue, he sent me the bill of laden from a recent issue. Looking at it I think it has to do with the wording on the item description, using 9mm or 44mag is drawing unwanted attention. Additionally, Chicago is a "gun-free" zone, so anything is bound to setoff alarm bells there.

So, he's working on the following:

1) Test shipping while continue to use DHL to me, a box with no buzz words and nothing inside it that is related.
    2) getting quotes together from UPS and FedEx to start all shipping through alternate methods, he hopes to have this solved within a week.

The Fedex is nice cause there is 1 central hub in Memphis which is very gun friendly, I'm hoping this works out best, cause UPS has their issues also like DHL.

I'll update when I receive box and get an update from Miha.

Boolit Master
    I read something about that on AR15.com

He should only use casting mold steel, aluminum, or brass, no gun or caliber descriptions no need. customs does not need further description.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Or put "machined aluminum/steel" on the box.

Boolit Buddy
    If I may ask, does this effect the group buy (Active - RERUN -Mihec 359640 158gr HP or 170gr Solid Dual Crimp Groove).
    It’s been a while waiting for this one. Any updates would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ed

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie17 View Post
    If I may ask, does this effect the group buy (Active - RERUN -Mihec 359640 158gr HP or 170gr Solid Dual Crimp Groove).
    It’s been a while waiting for this one. Any updates would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ed
    No, wont affect GB's after he works through the shipping process within the next week

Boolit Buddy
    Received mine couple days ago, no problem.

Edit to clarify: received mine that was in stock, not from GB.
    Last edited by kayala; 03-11-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    GONRA remember gun goodies shipped as "scrap steel",
    1000 rd. crates of 7.62x51mm NATO ammo shipped as "electrical equipment"
    loong ago....

[
    asts"rkal ;ars". kt ges n and n....ted as
    E:edrlca; 'arts etc m kktra. wy ak NS gesr

Boolit Master
    I did some snooping around. What I found was those molds may be being confiscated because they are not marked as bullet molds. Customs can seize anything that is miss represented. If it's sent as tools which it a very broad description, a stringent inspector who flagged one and seized it as misrepresented would now know what to look for the next time. It might even be in a data base in Chicago that red flags shipments form MP. He might be better off just listing the shipments as casting moulds or even sinker molds no one would know the difference.

Thanks for the clarification Lakehouse, I am glad to hear it is being sorted out. He may put the diameter of the mold (ie .360 instead of a cartridge name) on the manifest, would be even more accurate description and not misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I read something about that on AR15.com
    that thread was from me.... Miha refunded my money, so we are good. However, I find it very interesting that I still do not have a letter from customs telling me why the package was siezed. Call me cynical, but I believe there are inspectors that seize what ever they find interesting.. I believe that customs auctions off seized goods .... or maybe it just found its way into a lunchbox....

Boolit Grand Master

Mine always said “hand tools” on the declaration for mine

Boolit Master

I got my check maker from Gamsek in Slovenia very quickly. I think most would not know it was gun related though.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Somehow it seems somewhat unAmerican to be in a position where US Customs can seize whatever and not have any recourse to question or challenge the seizure. A sign of our times I guess.

In the mean while, I guess my purchase will have to sit in my cart (until the item is sold out I guess).
    Last edited by oley55; 03-12-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Semi off topic but still relevant. I had a large shipment of spare parts from Germany arrive at customs in Houston, TX right before Christmas. Because the customs numbers Germany used was 8 digits long, which worked for years, instead of 10 digits customs held it up while Germany got the paperwork straight. I finally got my parts the first week in Feb. just in time for the big freeze. Sometimes I think that the inspector lets the shipment sit there and stares at it trying to find something wrong. It's the "I know you're guilty of something I just haven't figured out of what yet."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast