MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Devastator?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thraxx View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, WS!

I own one as well, If the HP on the devastator is larger, then, wow. just wow.
    I'll see if I can get some pics today.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Here are some pics of the 45 and 9mm Devastator boolit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45deva.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	280220

As you can see the hollow point is HUGE!

Here's the 9mm. The basis for this is the 147 gr Lyman boolit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9mmdeva.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	280221

I don't have the 40/10mm version.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in a 4-cav for the 9mm, .40, and .45

I am not convinced that 'big wide cavities' in the HP's make any appreciable difference in the 'splat or mushroom' size.

In fact, the wide open design can be a liability, they can foul very easily & not develop the pressure to open them up. Silicone in the HP cavity will help expansion and prevent clogging.
    I've tried a number of things for 'plugs', hot glue and silicone caulking, the pure silicon does not shrink over time in storage...

On the other side of this, that big open HP can be very hard to keep together so it maintains weight and gets the best penetration.
    If we don't make an effort to control our alloy for HP's then we can have the results below...

If your lead blend is too hard, not malleable enough, then you might as well be shooting a RNFP...you'll get fails like this...

I think MP has already made a fantastic cast HP mould... the MP 452-200... it feeds flawlessly in the 1911.

Their 'penta' cavity I think is the easiest and most fool proof of the cavity designs...they open easy and stay together.

The bottom line with HP's is how much effort you put into blending your alloy for the speed & distance you want to hit at.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    What PC color is that on the far left (the one that looks like fresh copper)? It looks pretty real.

I'm A Honcho!
    I should hear back in a few days. If some of you can send sample bullets I will cover shipping for them. I have the design software but will defer to Bob for his expertise on chamber fit and such.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I am not convinced that 'big wide cavities' in the HP's make any appreciable difference in the 'splat or mushroom' size.

In fact, the wide open design can be a liability, they can foul very easily & not develop the pressure to open them up. Silicone in the HP cavity will help expansion and prevent clogging.
    I've tried a number of things for 'plugs', hot glue and silicone caulking, the pure silicon does not shrink over time in storage...

On the other side of this, that big open HP can be very hard to keep together so it maintains weight and gets the best penetration.
    If we don't make an effort to control our alloy for HP's then we can have the results below...

If your lead blend is too hard, not malleable enough, then you might as well be shooting a RNFP...you'll get fails like this...

I think MP has already made a fantastic cast HP mould... the MP 452-200... it feeds flawlessly in the 1911.

Their 'penta' cavity I think is the easiest and most fool proof of the cavity designs...they open easy and stay together.

The bottom line with HP's is how much effort you put into blending your alloy for the speed & distance you want to hit at.
    So you feel that the penta pin opens up easier and more consistently? I’ve worked with the 454-200 HP and I can’t seem to get it to open up for me with the round pin. I lost my penta pins but I have since picked up a 359-640 with penta pins and she opens up like a dream!

I’m trying to drive the 454-200 as fast as I can find data for in a 45 Colt 4 5/8” and in a 5” 1911 but no dice on expansion.

Do you think it’s all the pin?

Your work in the post above is beautiful and inspiring!

Quote Originally Posted by thraxx View Post
    What PC color is that on the far left (the one that looks like fresh copper)? It looks pretty real.
    It's been about 4 years since I bought it, I got that (Copper) and Brass at the same time & I think it's Sherman Williams. I bought it off a local PC Contractor who does PC for a living (you bring him stuff & he coats it)...he gave them to me in quart baggies and they had no label.

I'm pretty sure Smoke sells the same thing, well...same color, don't know who makes it.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    So you feel that the penta pin opens up easier and more consistently? I’ve worked with the 454-200 HP and I can’t seem to get it to open up for me with the round pin. I lost my penta pins but I have since picked up a 359-640 with penta pins and she opens up like a dream!

I’m trying to drive the 454-200 as fast as I can find data for in a 45 Colt 4 5/8” and in a 5” 1911 but no dice on expansion.

Do you think it’s all the pin?

Your work in the post above is beautiful and inspiring!
    Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate that.

The last picture above gives my load for my 5" Kimber 1911, it's not a +P...with that 9.8 BHN lead, (just soft lead I got from someone here years back) and Tin, I forget the blend right off...but if you can blend up some at 8 or 8.5 BHN you should get the Colt SAA to open them up at around 850 FPS. The picture of the black SWCHP's above was opened in my Colt SAA.

I don't water quench casting or after the PC bake, just air cooled. These were all tested in a water column but they'll do the same in gel or wet newsprint. If they're clogging they won't open...that's why I started using silicone, pure stuff that don't harden or shrink. No matter what they hit, jeans material or cotton t's prior to the water jug it makes the pressure in the cavity instantly and before they start loosing speed and energy.
    Folks might not realize it but a HP going into a water filled milk jug at 908 FPS will mushroom completely and exit at 450 FPS...looses 1/2 it's speed and energy. I know because I put my chronograph behind a jug and clocked the mushroom as it exited the busted jug.

I don't generally make the HP's for magnum velocities, like you I play with the Colt SAA & the 1911's or the .38S, but as a rule of thumb, using a binary blend of lead and tin...you can figure 1 BHN for every 100 FPS you intend to shoot and hit with them, that generally gives you roughly a +/-50 FPS window on each side of the velocity you figure as a cushion.
    You just have to experiment with small batches of blended lead until you get what you want. It's difficult using the typical lead we casters come by because we can never be sure what it's contents are, but it's a lot of fun, you learn real quick what works and not.
    I have a lot of videos on various HP cavities and lead blends on my channel if your interested, got some good jug busting too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5...pvqCDsg/videos

One of the things I like about working the penta style cavities is that when they open they form 'gussets' (braces) below each petal, that gives them strength if your really pushing them hard, the petals take a heck of a lot before you start tearing them off.

These are what I call 'tricorn's' (3 sided cavities) but the penta does the same thing...these were pushed real hard, I wanted to get better penetration and still keep all it's weight intact.

Best of luck to'Ya!

Boolit Master

Great info thank you!

I have a feeling my alloy was a bit hard. Now that I think back my alloy was analyzed and I believe it had about zero tin. Now if memory serves me correctly a binary alloy of lead and antimony will harden faster and harder than a tertiary alloy with tin in there.

So I probably had a touch too much harness looking back on it.

The best results I had with that 359640 was with an alloy that lacked any antimony at all apparently. The opened up perfectly and even under a higher velocity belt together beautifully.

Lead analysis is awesome but it tends to make you rethink everything. Rethink what the composition of your supposed wheel weights or lead shot was. Make you rethink what alloy will suffice in a given load.
    It’s pretty cool.

I can’t wait to get a couple more hollow point moulds to play with!

Boolit Buddy

I would be in for the 45 ACP and 9mm versions, especially if offered without lube grooves.
    "He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin', somethin's gonna happen." - Cheyenne, Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

Boolit Master

I would also be interested in a 40cal Devastator.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    The 40 cal would be outstanding
    Cargo

Boolit Master

I traded for some on here some years back. I have watched for a mold to pop up to no avail.

Id be interested in the purchase of a 40 Devestator. IIRC they was about 135g ish.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12