Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 209 Primers

Boolit Buddy

209 Primers

What is the guidance for 209 primers used in muzzle loaders? My owners manual says load 209 primer with out specifying a muzzle loader or regular shotgun. I have already used regular shotgun primers with holy black, wondering if safe to continue.
    Thanks for any help

Boolit Master
    Regular 209 is safe but you may get better accuracy or maybe even a cleaner burn with kinds made for it.

Boolit Master
    The 209 shotgun primers are hotter and will almost always give better accuracy when using black powder substitutes. In fact, misfires and erratic groups are often the result of using the ones labeled for muzzle loading rifles.

Boolit Master
    Has anybody designed/used an open system for 209 shotgun primers in a caplock ? or do they have too much blowback energy and need to be held in a screw container - I have 15,000 my dad gave me. Thinking to make a replacement nipple that the 209 could just slip into - then make a small firing pin inserted in the face of the hammer instead of the pin in cap screw arrangement - once fired just flick the dead 209 out - the hammer conversion is easy and if this works I would never buy another percussion cap -
    if anybody out there has tried this idea and it failed please tell me - the blowback is what I am most interested in - how much hotter than a percussion cap is a 209 primer?

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Has anybody designed/used an open system for 209 shotgun primers in a caplock ? or do they have too much blowback energy and need to be held in a screw container - I have 15,000 my dad gave me. Thinking to make a replacement nipple that the 209 could just slip into - then make a small firing pin inserted in the face of the hammer instead of the pin in cap screw arrangement - once fired just flick the dead 209 out - the hammer conversion is easy and if this works I would never buy another percussion cap -
    if anybody out there has tried this idea and it failed please tell me - the blowback is what I am most interested in - how much hotter than a percussion cap is a 209 primer?
    Here ya go. The Magspark has been around for a while. I have two. One that uses small rifle primers, and one uses the 209. Both work well but I favor the 209.
    https://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Here ya go. The Magspark has been around for a while. I have two. One that uses small rifle primers, and one uses the 209. Both work well but I favor the 209.
    https://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html
    yep thanks - I wanted to get away from the screw on cap part of the magspark ---thats easy, just use the part that screws in the gun (or make one same) - I can modify a hammer to fire it easily - the real question is ---is it safe to use a shotgun primer just pushed into the hole and rely on hammer downforce to contain the blowback?

yep thanks - I wanted to get away from the screw on cap part of the magspark ---thats easy, just use the part that screws in the gun (or make one same) - I can modify a hammer to fire it easily - the real question is ---is it safe to use a shotgun primer just pushed into the hole and rely on hammer downforce to contain the blowback?
    Um, you're on your own with that one. I'm kind of ugly already, but I like my face just the way it is.
    Which is my humorous way of saying I wouldn't try it.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Um, you're on your own with that one. I'm kind of ugly already, but I like my face just the way it is.
    Which is my humorous way of saying I wouldn't try it.
    which is kinda why I am asking questions instead of telling ya I did it --however somebody has to - so I will report back in due course - I learnt how to fire one remote a long time ago - no rearrangement of face required. - few sandbags and a piece of twine - easy !

I'll be giving the mag spark a work out this year with a 38" barrel and .519 diameter paper patches.

Maybe those side rule cats will be successful in bringing back the mastodon and woolly rhinoceros.

I pretty much only use my mag sparks for hunting. I find them a fiddly pia to use for volume, recreational type target shooting. Especially the small rifle primer design. It seats the primer flush down in the cup and when fouled, has to be picked out. But when it comes to foul weather and crawling through brush, they're the best. Any other time, I use musket caps.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    What powders are you lighting off with the MagSparks?

Boolit Master
    I pretty much only use my mag sparks for hunting. I find them a fiddly pia to use for volume, recreational type target shooting. Especially the small rifle primer design. It seats the primer flush down in the cup and when fouled, has to be picked out. But when it comes to foul weather and crawling through brush, they're the best. Any other time, I use musket caps.
    The fiddly PITA bit was what I was wanting to avoid - plus drop that little cap in the dirt and never see it again - I have 15,000 shotgun primers free (just sitting there annoying me, and last I looked caps were $15 per 100 - some strong incentive there

Interested in what answers you get outa this . Caps in my area have always been nearly non existant 209 primers I can find . You could always try one fired remotely with some paper surrounding lock area to see how much if any blow back there is .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Use Magspark conversion ,I do in 8 barrels TC and a custom .No blow back /erosion and waterproof /tape the muzzle and don"t use with mittens /Ed

I have a couple mag sparks and have never had a miss fire. I like the 209 primers they are a lot easier to get than caps where I live and it rains a lot here. The mag spark is kind of a PITA but you get a system worked up for them. A small needle nose plyers are a must for me. I like the aluminum 209 primers. I learned here that a little spit from your mouth on the top of the primer helps them to release a little easier after firing and it does help. I have one for each of my cap locks and one in the Que just incase. I wouldn't want an adapter that you have to screw in and out of the barrel every shot, too much wear on the gun.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.