MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: What is the Purpose of This Bullet?

Boolit Master

What is the Purpose of This Bullet?

I have been mulling over a 185gr-200gr mould for my 357 magnum Encore pistol (12") and was wondering what folks think of this PC bullet:
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=35-195R

I think the throating in my gun would allow me to seat for reasonable case volume, but I have a policy that I don't buy anything anymore which would not be suitable for hunting. In this case, I would expect 195gr bullet to be usable on Eastern Whitetail deer.... but I'm a little leery of that small meplat, it's only .18" across.

What do you suppose the intended purpose of this bullet is, and would it be suitable for deer inside 100 yards with a heavy powder charge? I tend to stick to COWW+2% tin, so nothing too hard.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    I suspect the size of the meplate is to allow the bullet to be loaded and used in a tubular magazine. It is about 50% of the bullet diameter so should be adequate for energy transfer. Some limitations might be encountered due to no gas check.

Looks to me like it would do well in my AR chambered in 350 Legend.... Now If I could just find some small rifle primerz.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    I would think more for long range silhouette targets for the .357 out of T/C style handguns. Aerodynamics and weight to knock down heavy steel at the 200+ yard range. That is just my $.02.

Fastdadio - Now If I could just find some small rifle primerz. - I have plenty of ALL primers if you know how to get them from FL to MI, legally!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Lee has a mold very close to this,it usually drops a few gr. over 200.it shoots great in both my Henry 357 singleshot & my 35 Whelen.killed a nice 8 pt.with it from the Henry.I have a 180 gr. Mold of same design but I think the 200 shoots a little better in the 357. Though for target & plinking I usually shoot the 180’s & save the 200 for the Whelen.

Boolit Master
    Great responses, thanks guys. I will add it to my list of things to buy once I get a few other things hammered out!
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    deleted

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper003 View Post
    Lee has a mold very close to this,it usually drops a few gr. over 200.it shoots great in both my Henry 357 singleshot & my 35 Whelen.killed a nice 8 pt.with it from the Henry.I have a 180 gr. Mold of same design but I think the 200 shoots a little better in the 357. Though for target & plinking I usually shoot the 180’s & save the 200 for the Whelen.
    I always powder coat this design boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    I would think more for long range silhouette targets for the .357 out of T/C style handguns. Aerodynamics and weight to knock down heavy steel at the 200+ yard range. That is just my $.02.

Fastdadio - Now If I could just find some small rifle primerz. - I have plenty of ALL primers if you know how to get them from FL to MI, legally!!!
    I do appreciate the offer Offshore. But I'm pretty well stocked up for everything but the srp's. I didn't need them back when the getting was good. Tempting though, I just bought a Mustang, and any little excuse for a road trip will do.
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    I would think more for long range silhouette targets for the .357 out of T/C style handguns.
    That's my guess.
    It probably came along in the 80s-90s when long-ish range silhouette shooting with hand guns was the rage.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Do yourself a favor and have a smith run a .357 MAXIMUM reamer in your chamber and get the potential of that chambering. It will make that Accurate bullet sing and shine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Do yourself a favor and have a smith run a .357 MAXIMUM reamer in your chamber and get the potential of that chambering. It will make that Accurate bullet sing and shine.
    I love the idea of the Maximum, but since I'm not really a hobby hunter I am not yet convinced I need more power than the Magnum can offer - any shots at deer-sized game would be relatively short range on my own property. I think I would have MGM make me a Max barrel from scratch if I go that route, since it's not technically legal for me to slap a stock on my Encore with this 12" Mag barrel on it. A real shame, since I'm pretty sure it would be the handiest little thing ever.

I would also have to explain to my wife why the two Mausers, the Mosin Nagant, and the K-31 were unsuitable for taking deer. I could always claim that I needed a scoped rifle for the job (my only scoped gun is a .223 Howa, not legal for deer where I live) but... I'm just not there yet. I need a lot more practice shooting offhand in field conditions, I think, before a scope would do more than vividly illustrate how much the damn gun moves when I hold it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's my guess.
    It probably came along in the 80s-90s when long-ish range silhouette shooting with hand guns was the rage.
    I didn't realize that NLGs have been around that long, I assumed it was relatively recent thanks to powder coating.

Moderator Emeritus
    Same design minus the lube groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I didn't realize that NLGs have been around that long, I assumed it was relatively recent thanks to powder coating.
    Oh yeah. Back then there was a few competitions that came & went before cowboy action shooting caught on and replaced them.
    The event for that had specifications for the size and ranges for steel turkeys, rams, etc. you had to knock over with big handguns.
    I think one part of it went out to 200 yards.

Another was a timed event for shooting bowling pins off a two level table.
    Bullets for that came along that the front end looked like a saw blade rolled around it so it would still knock the pin
    over it it just barely caught the side of one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I was thinking the same thing as Jay...357 MAX.

Boolit Master
    There are no lube grooves on it. Can't be any good.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Evidently you don’t powder coat, no lube grooves in J word bullets either but they seem to shoot OK

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    I once again apologize for all the unfilled back orders......
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!