Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 303 British and wildcats

303 British and wildcats

I just love the versility of the old british cartridge that has been around for over a hundred years. I have rifles in 303, 303Epps, 303/270, 303/25 and a spare barrel in 303/22.

Working with cast boolits, I have driven 100gn PC'd ones to 2,700 in the 303/25.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I've often thought that if it wasn't for that ugly two piece stock, the Enfield & the .303 would have rode along in popularity with
    Mausers and '03 Springfields at the same level and degree of popularity and customizing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've often thought that if it wasn't for that ugly two piece stock, the Enfield & the .303 would have rode along in popularity with
    Mausers and '03 Springfields at the same level and degree of popularity and customizing.
    I agree!

Boolit Master

Always enjoy your posts Bad *** Wallace - Good to know how the under side of the world lives . . .
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 03-14-2021 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Bypass Prevention <tm> LOL - I know, it's his username.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    The .303 is a great cartridge and I love Enfields just the way they are.

I use the 303 British case as the parent for a rimmed 35 Remington. Nice strong case that works beautifully.

30 Krag would work too.

Boolit Grand Master
    BAW,
    Have not seen the name Epps for a long time. I was born and raised in Ontario Canada so got to know about him 5 decades ago.

The Rangemaster at the University of Toronto Gun Club used to shoot tuned .303’s at 1000 yards. The old fellow had shot at the long range matches in England. I learned a lot from the guy. Those Enfields could be made to shoot.

Back then I could buy them for $15....wish I had bought a bunch.
    Don Verna

My 303 Epps is built on a Remington P14 action and fitted with an A.J.Parker Model 5B aperature sight. With handloads it will do everything the 30.06 can do. The 'improved case holds approx/ 5gns more powder than the parent case.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I am waiting for an Epps reamer that was to be loaned to me from a mate who passed a few weeks back and I have not seen it as yet, I had hoped to do one on a Large Martini I have and a new 308 barrel. As a young lad I shot big bore and many still used the 303 No4 and were very competitive but the Omark and the 7.62 Nato round eventually put he 303 out to pasture. As a hunting rifle I would not feel out classed with an old 303 Lee Enfield. I would that p14 is the ideal platform for the Epps. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    How would a 375-303 fair?

Boolit Master
    There is another 375 - 303 wildcat. Called the 37 rimmed and is nothing more than the 303 British case necked up to 375 with no other changes. A slight bulge remains where part of the original neck was. I took a Greek HXP case and ran it through a Lyman M die body that I had put a .375 expander and did it in one pass. Though if I was doing a bunch of cases I'd anneal first. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have seen the 375/303 and it is quiet a good cartridge, I have thought about a 416/303 as well, I have one in my cartridge collection. I think the 303 has had as many wildcats built of it as the 30/06 if not more, Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I was on the nitroexpress forums and asked about the 37 rimmed. Within about an hour I had a print of the cartridge. Now all I have to do is find someone who can make me a reamer. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I was on the nitroexpress forums and asked about the 37 rimmed. Within about an hour I had a print of the cartridge. Now all I have to do is find someone who can make me a reamer. Frank
    You could chamber with a standard 303 Reamer by changing the 303 reamer pilot to a 375 pilot and throat it with a 375 throating reamer. That is how I had my 375 Whelen done and it shoot like a dream. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Have a semi turned barrel blank in 375 caliber with either 1x12 or 1x14 twist and the blank slugs out at .377. Still would prefer a reamer for this cartridge though. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    .375-.303 Axite

Boolit Master
    Just hope to have a Martini Henry in 35/303 back and shooting in a month or so.

Boolit Bub
    There is a fellow up here who has a 375/303Br reamer, and has barrelled up a number of Lee Enfield rifles. It is essentially a 38-55 magnum (intentionally with a small "m"), as it bests the original round by 400 fps.

Ted

Boolit Master
    When I necked up a 303 case there was just a very tiny ring which was all that was left of the shoulder. So for all intents it looks like a 38-55 case on steroids. Wonder where one could find dies?. Frank

Boolit Bub
    Bob anneals a regular 303 Br sizing die, bores out and polishes the neck section to resize for the 375 bullet, and hardens it again. I think he just bores out the seating die without needing to anneal.

Ted
    Last edited by Yukoner; 03-14-2021 at 09:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast