RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming 260 rem brass

Boolit Mold

Forming 260 rem brass

What is the best brass to start with, that could be found now?

I would say .243 Winchester.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would say .243 Winchester.

Absolutely . Unless you really like turning necks , then you can use .308 and turn away .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Pricey - but I have seen Lapua 260 Rem available at the Cheyenne Sportsman' Warehouse, could be a low demand item. 308/7.62x51 is probably cheapest available, 243, 7-08 might show up, anything else - '06, 270, 280 are real work to reform to 260.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by papalote View Post
    Hi,
    As TBG said, .243 is probably the easiest to reform, but why not just buy it from Starline at this link?. Yes, it's more expensive than reforming .243 or .308, but it's brand new, high quality brass. I was reforming mine from .308 and got tired of turning necks, so I just bought 250 from Starline and I'm all set.
    Ed

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, redleg but i don't need 250 cases. I will try the 243 cases. i think i have a neck expander for 264..

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by papalote View Post
    Lupua .260. Of course where it can be found varies day by day and my weekly report on its availability has not yet arrived. ????

I've been known to reform a lot of cases on the popular .473" head and I greatly prefer to neck cases down than up. If your rifle has a standard SAAMI chamber it's likely you could neck down 7-08 - or even .308 - and not need to turn anything at all.

Boolit Master

I would try 7-08. I prefer to make shoulder out of neck, not neck out of shoulder and get a donut.

However, I need to build a .260. Have brass, dies, and bullets etc, but no rifle to shoot them in. That happens when you come across cheap like new redding dies and heavily discounted brass, and think, "Someday, I'd like to build a .260."

I have several sets of "someday" dies, just waiting on the day.

Boolit Master
    I might have some once fired 260 brass, give me couple hours I'll check

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd rather neck brass down than up. That way when your wife's cousin's brother's nephew's friend sticks one of your reloads in his gun, there isn't any blown up rifle for him to want you to pay for. "But it said .243 on the headstamp."

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I'd rather neck brass down than up. That way when your wife's cousin's brother's nephew's friend sticks one of your reloads in his gun, there isn't any blown up rifle for him to want you to pay for. "But it said .243 on the headstamp."

Robert
    If that guy can chamber a .260 in a .243, he's strong enough to not get hurt......

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    If that guy can chamber a .260 in a .243, he's strong enough to not get hurt......

Amen ! As far as that is concerned why would it make a difference if it says .243 or .308 ? It's still gonna be a .260 . Necking down requires turning necks in almost all cases , necking up , not .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    Point taken, but there are other cases that have closer calibers than the .308 family. Like the -06 family, I have had at the same time a 25-06 and a 6.5-06. Rounds that can look remarkably similar and since the 6.5 is more or less a wildcat (I know it was standardized by A-Square, but they're not around any longer) most people have never even heard of it.

I form my brass from .30-06 just for those oops instances. It fits my chamber without neck turning.

If I ever get around to making a .358 Norma mag, the brass will be formed from milsurp .300 Win Mag, no caliber head stamp to worry about.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Point taken, but there are other cases that have closer calibers than the .308 family. Like the -06 family,
    ?????? Like what?

Only one that I can think of might be a 8mm-08. 25-08 or 25 Souper has been around since the late 50's
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    I formed .260 Rem brass from .308. I did not find it necessary to turn necks with my chamber. Possibly if the rifle in question has a match chamber, but then you might be turning necks for consistency anyway.

Boolit Master
    I've formed .243 from .308 without need for neck turning/reaming. Resized necks measured .276 (that is correct for the .243), worked fine in several .243's. Depends on rifle, but worth a try in the .260 Rem.

I think it would be more fun to just fireform the 243
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I get your point and fully agree; it would require a lot of brute strength and weak mind to close the bolt on a .260 round in a .243 chamber. (But ... but ... the precaution sounds so "wise"! )

Boolit Master
    Ive done it both ways and believe me 243 up is better and easier. I picked up a bunch of Fed GMM and ran it in a 260 die but the necks were thick and the OAL was too long. Neck don't get thicker with 243.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast