RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lubrisizer heater

Boolit Mold

Lubrisizer heater

I've recently started casting and enjoy all the knowledge on this site. So far I have molds for 9mm and 40 S&W/10mm plus two 30 caliber molds.
    Recently I ran into difficulties with my Saeco lubrisizer not lubing well due to low temperatures, so I built a heater that I'd like to share here. I still need to tidy up the wiring but it seems to be working well.
    It has a 50 watt heater from Amazon and a temperature controller sold for sprouting seeds. Hope this helps anyone looking to build something similar.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210307_181009.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	279174

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Looks nifty. Could you post links to the parts?

Boolit Mold
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PP92RPD...p_mob_ap_share

Boolit Mold
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015F4VFGI...p_mob_ap_share

Boolit Mold
    The aluminum plate was some scrap I had, I just drilled some holes for the heating element and the temp sensor.

Boolit Master
    Great project. I bought the factory one for my star and when I saw that it was just a heater stuck in an aluminum slab with a cheap thermostat I kicked myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for posting the links. That looks like a really easy and affordable solution. Much easier than some other versions I have seen people post.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    After fighting with some rock hard lube, I finally added a heater to my lubersizer. It's not as glorious as the OP's, but it works. I simply got an old electric iron and placed it on the steel mounting plate of the lubersizer. Within minutes the entire unit is warm and ready to go. A quick caution though: Once it's up to temp, SHUT OFF THE IRON. That sucker will get the whole thing hot enough to turn the lube into liquid!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ksrifle View Post
    I've recently started casting and enjoy all the knowledge on this site. So far I have molds for 9mm and 40 S&W/10mm plus two 30 caliber molds.
    Recently I ran into difficulties with my Saeco lubrisizer not lubing well due to low temperatures, so I built a heater that I'd like to share here. I still need to tidy up the wiring but it seems to be working well.
    It has a 50 watt heater from Amazon and a temperature controller sold for sprouting seeds. Hope this helps anyone looking to build something similar.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210307_181009.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	279174

Nice!
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Mold
    I've yet to receive my sizer . But I'm going to make my own heater plate .and I've found a heater stick/ probe, just need to source some ally plate .what size is the base of the star sizer .thanks .

Boolit Master
    The description for the control, says 108 degrees maximum. Will this be warm enough for hard lubes to flow?

A heating pad works. Just wrap it around the lube sizer. Come back in 1 hour. To hot and lube will start running. Lubes 125F to 200f to melt.

108F, not hot enough in winter in 50F room.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 10-18-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thelawnmowerman_1 View Post
    I've yet to receive my sizer . But I'm going to make my own heater plate .and I've found a heater stick/ probe, just need to source some ally plate .what size is the base of the star sizer .thanks .
    It's small, like 4x4, but make your plate double or triple the size, so you can preheat your boolits. Conventional beeswax based lube will "stick" in the lube grooves better on warm boolits, than on cold boolits. I think the base I used is 8" x 6" (3/8" steel plate) and I wish it was larger, like 10" x 6"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thanks . Ive seen a piece 8"x 6" x 20mm .. perfect

Boolit Grand Master
    There are about a zillion different ideas for making a heater for either hard lubes or using in cold weather. Most of them work; anywhere from okay to it could be a lot better.

Last winter, I even proved that judicious use of a propane torch will work. Do I recommend using a propane torch as a lubrisizer heater? Not on your life, but it did work.

Good luck and stay safe,

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your ingenuity! Now long gone, my first heater for a Lyman 45 sizer was also a home-built creation. I simply screwed a 40-watt light bulb into a porcelain socket which was enclosed in one of those round metal tin Danish butter cookies had come in. The lamp was plugged into a ~$5.00 light dimmer switch and not only did it perform quite well, the light bulb never -- as long as I had/used it -- burned out!
    I find it truly amazing to read the wonderful inventions folks on this site come up with! Yours, too, sounds like a winner!
    geo

I use a hair dryer with the brush removed, laying beside my RCBS Luber/Sizers, two. It works pretty well and has for a few decades. Not fancy, it just works on the LBT style hard lubes.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers