Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Source of 22 cal gas checks

Boolit Buddy

Source of 22 cal gas checks

Where are you guys getting .22 caliber gas checks? Seems like I would need to gas check if shooting .223 out of an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    Where are you guys getting .22 caliber gas checks? I would think I would need them to shoot these in an AR. Sorry if this double posts. I don't see my first attempt.
    I've used the Sage copper checks. They fit even after powder coating.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! I'll look that up. At rifle pressures, I don't want to get all set up with plain base boolits and find out I should have gone with gas checks.

ETA: Can you offer any opinion on the difference between Sage copper checks and Sage Gator copper checks? I've always used Hornady's but my supply is dwindling. So, for the first time in maybe 25 years I guess I'm in the gas check market.
    Last edited by pjh421; 03-07-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    Thanks! I'll look that up. At rifle pressures, I don't want to get all set up with plain base boolits and find out I should have gone with gas checks.

ETA: Can you offer any opinion on the difference between Sage copper checks and Sage Gator copper checks? I've always used Hornady's but my supply is dwindling. So, for the first time in maybe 25 years I guess I'm in the gas check market.
    Well, correctly, I've used the Gators. I didn't realize they sold any other copper checks. I was distinguishing between the copper checks and the aluminum checks they sell. I've run (a different cast bullet) powder coated and gas checked over a full load of W748 in my ARs with no leading.

I hope it works as well for you.

You might try Sage Outdoors or NOE both handle the Gator brand and both are good to deal with. If you want to run the above 2300 the probably yes, but I load some as low as 1800 fps that still cycle the action using PC without a leading problem.

Please do not offer to sell in this thread as the OP is asking for sources.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    My bad. Thanks for the help, AlHunt and Minerat. I will get some Sage Gator Checks. Ordered 1 kg of green metalic from Donnie and a couple bottles of spray lube. Been using Hornady One Shot case wax on Hi Tek coated boolits and it works fine. Maybe the Hi Tek will be even better?

The Hornday checks have a lip inside the check that crimps on to the boolit shank the gators are smoothe. I've never had a problem with the gators staying on either with regular lube, before powder coating or after PC. Sometimes you gave to flair them a little when put on after PCing.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member